Hello from a newbie!

kelh

Earning My Ears
Hello, I'm Kelly from South Carolina. Last week I booked our first family trip to WDW! The last (and only) time I've ever been to WDW was in my early twenties, and I'm 40 now, so I figured it was high time I went back :banana: DH and I had mentioned going to WDW before, but never really got serious about it. Last week he said, "Want to go to Disney in December while the girls are out for the holidays?" I jumped on that. Our daughters are ages 9 (will be 10 by then) and 7. We'll be driving (hopefully it will take only about ten hours each way) and check in at Pop Century on Dec. 19 and come home on Dec. 23. Our plan is to spend one day each in MK, AK, and Epcot. We have DDP and DH and I have to figure out what ADRs we want in those parks. I am considering Photopass also.

We are trying our best to keep this a complete surprise for our daughters since it will be their first trip there. The plan for now is to get them up on the 19th like it's a regular school day (it's the last day before the Dec. holidays), but be packed and mostly ready when we tell them we're going to WDW instead. Our hope is that it will go over well and they won't be upset that they are missing class parties! :lmao: Sometimes you never know with kids! It is so hard already to not say anything. . . in doing my research, I see all these cool things and think I should show them to the girls, and then I'm like "No, you can't!"

I'm sure I will have plenty of questions as time draws closer. Looking forward to talking with you all more!

Welcome.jpg

I am also 40 and hadn't been to wdw since 1985. There were so many changes and so much more than I remembered. I went with DD and DH and none of us knew what to expect when booking out trip. I stayed onsite, QSDP, and used Dis transportation. I chose QSDP because I wanted the option of paying cash for a meal if we happened to be able to get in on a whim. Turns out the food on the QS is too much to eat and I booked the same for this trip. However, I do plan to try a couple of the recommended places like (earl of sandwich) and pay cash.
Anyhow...Once we arrived I was SO overwhelmed with how things had changed. I knew when we went thru the gate we'd be back soon.

We opted to do 1 park per day as well and it worked out great. We printed out maps before we left home and hi-lighted the must see attractions in each park with some "alternatives" just in case. (also gave us something to do during the ride) We had a hard time deciding where to east since eating out is something we enjoy regularly (and we wanted to try everything). We didn't do DDD (disneyquest) because there was no time and I wanted to stick to the basics (if u want to call it that).
We are headed back in Nov for 10 days and my pace will be slower. The first time gave me a chance to see what had changed and what is available. I am staying again at a value resort. Like I said I do enjoy eating out, but I hate to plan every second of the day since it is our vacation. I made a dining res for this time (cash pay) and decided to do Disneyquest. I also booked at the BBB for DD (10yrs). We bought gifts for the family on the 1st visit, but not this time. We live about 20 mins from a Disney Outlet so we bought some things to give our daughter while we are there. Hopefully she will refrain from spending her money on things we can buy at the outlet and opt for must haves. I am so excited because I know what you are in for...

Welcome! You're all going to have an amazing time!!! Our kids were in on the plan for our 1st trip as a family, and still the magic was not lost on them. The surprise sounds perfect though. Your kids are are going to love Disney...just as much as you will! ;)

Welcome to the DIS. You will learn so much and meet so many great people here. Enjoy your stay!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter