Heat, humidity and a great Mother/Daughter trip! A May TR **TR Update 12/10**

Life Update

For those that aren't friends with me on Facebook, I've had a rough few days. On Thursday I was sitting for my aunt's cats while she was out of state, and my sister was caring for my pets. I got a call at 6am that my dog, Phoenix, had vomited before being fed breakfast and was now refusing to eat his breakfast. That is unusual for him as he never turns down food, but I thought he probably just had an upset stomach. At that point he seemed find otherwise, but over the course of the morning he started shaking, panting and having trouble urinating so she offered to take him to the vet since she was off work. She got him in there late morning and xrays found mineralization around his prostate, which was twice it's normal size. My wonderful sister Lisa then took him to the emergency vet to get sample tissue to send away, as there were 2 possible causes for the mineralization: severe infection or prostate cancer. The only way to tell was get the tissue sample and that had to be done at a vet with an ultrasound to make sure they got the prostate and not the bladder. The wonderful emergency vet gave me a discount since I work for a vet, and let my sister bring the sample to my work to mail out so I could get it done at 1/4 the price they would have charged.

Unfortunately the news was bad. I got the results on Saturday and it is aggressive prostate cancer. With prostate cancer in dogs surgery is not an option, only chemo which tends to not work well and doesn't extend their life very long. So I have him on pain meds, antibiotics for an infection that is caused by the tumor and a steroid to reduce the size of the tumor for now so he can more comfortably urinate. The vet basically said what will happen is eventually the tumor will get so big that he cannot urinate anymore and I'll have to make the decision to end his suffering at that point. She estimated 2 months, but it could be less or more. :sad1:

This is absolutely devastating to me as he and my cats are like my children. Phoenix is only 10 years old and has always been in great health with no real health issues ever. I truly believed I'd have at least another 4-5 years with him and now I have only months. I knew my cat Jynx had medical issues that I'm dealing with, but I never thought he would since until Thursday morning he seemed absolutely fine. Thankfully the vet I work with has been helping me a lot with research, medication information and reassuring me that I'm doing the best thing I can for him by keeping him comfortable and letting him live out the rest of his life with me.

So, rough weekend for me with lots of tears shed. For now the pain meds and antibiotic are helping and he seems much more comfortable and able to go easier. I'll just keep a close eye on him, give him lots of love, pets and treats and wait for him to let me know it's time.

Stephanie, as I said on Facebook, I am so very sorry to hear about your beloved Phoenix. You are doing everything that a responsible pet owner/parent is to do....keep him as pain free as possible and giving him lots of love. I pray that God will give you strength to get through the time that you have with Phoenix and the wisdom to know when it's time to let him go. If you need me, you have my number.

At the window the "baby" (she's 3 or 4 now but still the youngest so I still call her that!) was showing off for a while. At one point she ran up to the window and jumped off it, but I didn't get a picture of that.
I think it is neat that you got to see her playing. I don't ever seem to get lucky enough to see the animals do anything other than sitting around. :rotfl2:

Yes, that is a tub he was just sitting in. He seemed quite comfortable in there and just hung out there the whole time we were around.
Yeah... That's usually the kind of activity I see at a zoo or AK. :thumbsup2

As I said, there was a large crowd there, but I did still manage to get a few pictures of the procedures.
That's cool. Tigers are definitely near the top of the list of my favorite animals to see and watch, so it would definitely be neat to watch them work with a tiger in there. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

I'm sorry for the bad news about Phoenix. Just hoping for him to live the rest of his life happily and comfortably. I know you're doing all you can for him. It just sucks that there's no more you can do.

Steph, before I get to the update I missed, I just wanted to tell you again (as I did on FB), how sorry I am about Phoenix. Having gone through this just about a year ago, I know how heartwrenching it is. I believe you are doing what is best for Phoenix and I know you will love him and take care of him until he is ready. :hug:

What a great update. I LOVE the gorillas and you got great pics of the babies and the bachelors.

And how fun that you got to see a Tiger worked on at Rafiki's Planet (Avery would go crazy over that).

I love that they call it the Affection Section too...so Disney. Too funny about the goat and the pig.

Stephanie, as I said on Facebook, I am so very sorry to hear about your beloved Phoenix. You are doing everything that a responsible pet owner/parent is to do....keep him as pain free as possible and giving him lots of love. I pray that God will give you strength to get through the time that you have with Phoenix and the wisdom to know when it's time to let him go. If you need me, you have my number.

Thank you very much Lisa. I will certainly need that strength and wisdom over the next couple of months. I appreciate your thoughts and friendship! :hug:

I think it is neat that you got to see her playing. I don't ever seem to get lucky enough to see the animals do anything other than sitting around. :rotfl2:

Yeah... That's usually the kind of activity I see at a zoo or AK. :thumbsup2

That's cool. Tigers are definitely near the top of the list of my favorite animals to see and watch, so it would definitely be neat to watch them work with a tiger in there. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

I'm sorry for the bad news about Phoenix. Just hoping for him to live the rest of his life happily and comfortably. I know you're doing all you can for him. It just sucks that there's no more you can do.

I usually just see them laying around too, as you'll see in the upcoming photos :rotfl:

Tigers are one of my favorite too, so I was happy to see they got a new one and I got to see her exam!

Thank you very much. And you're absolutely right, it sucks!

Steph, before I get to the update I missed, I just wanted to tell you again (as I did on FB), how sorry I am about Phoenix. Having gone through this just about a year ago, I know how heartwrenching it is. I believe you are doing what is best for Phoenix and I know you will love him and take care of him until he is ready. :hug:

What a great update. I LOVE the gorillas and you got great pics of the babies and the bachelors.

And how fun that you got to see a Tiger worked on at Rafiki's Planet (Avery would go crazy over that).

I love that they call it the Affection Section too...so Disney. Too funny about the goat and the pig.

Thanks Kathy, I know you went through this last year with Cookie. :hug:

I love the gorillas too! They have a gorgeous enclosure and usually are several out.

The tiger was pretty cool to see!

It is very Disney of them to call it that :goodvibes

DAY 3, THURSDAY MAY 22ND, PART 4

Once Mom and I were done with all the attractions in Africa we talked and though we would head over to Asia now. We started out walking down the path between the 2 countries, looking for DiVine but didn't see her. We did find a Photopass Photographer though, and stopped for some pictures behind the Tree of Life. First one is my camera, next two are PP

I also took several zoomed-in shots of the ToL to try to get all of the carvings.

We then continued on down the pathway toward here...

We saw King Louie and Baloo set up, but just as we got in line they left, so this was the only picture I got of them:

We stopped at another PP for some pictures in front of Everest (again, first is my camera then it is the PP one)

Then it was time for an attraction that my Mom will not get on...

She gets bad motion sickness and going backwards sets her off the worst, so she has never tried EE and never will. And that is for the benefit of herself and anyone that would be unfortunate enough to be around her if she did attempt to ride :lmao:

I got in the single rider line while she went in the gift shop to wait for me since it was already getting quite hot and humid at late morning. I was put in line almost immediately with a guy who was not thrilled that he couldn't ride alone. He didn't say or do anything, just pouted and gave his companions in another row a look of anger. Oh well, that's how it goes so we got on board our train and were off. As I always do I took pictures along the ride!

And the obligatory ride photo. Yes, I was intentionally trying to look stoic!

I found Mom in the gift shop browsing, but neither of us wanted to buy anything so we left and headed toward Maharajah Jungle Trek. On the way we saw a crowd of people not against, but near the enclosure for the Siamang (the monkeys whose enclosure is the island in the water with "ruins"). We walked up to see this:

Baby ducks! Looking down into the water we saw Mom and even more babies. The crowd was apparently helping corral the last couple stragglers toward the fence and Mom.

CONTINUED IN THE NEXT POST

While standing there looking at the ducks we also watched the Siamangs!

We were originally going to head over to Maharajah, but we were both started to get quite hungry, so instead we headed to Discovery Island for some food!

We decided on Flame Tree Barbeque (I love this place!) and got in line. They were very busy as it was peak lunch time but after about 10 minutes we both got our Smoked Turkey sandwiches with fresh fruit, which I forgot in the chaos to get pictures of. I got my sandwich first, but they messed up Mom's (she asked for no cranberry mayo but they gave it to her anyway). I headed off to find us a table since it was so busy while she waited. I eventually found one all the way at the water just as people were getting up from eating. The custodial CM was there and quickly cleaned it for me. Mom found me easier than I expected and we ate.

I got a shot of EE while we enjoyed our meals

And of a couple of our "friends" who desperately wanted to join us for lunch! :rotfl:

While we enjoyed them I liked it the least of anything I have gotten there. The salad and 1/2 chicken are definitely better, in my opinion!

NEXT TIME: SLEEPY TIGERS!

Boo, hiss at the guy who didn't want to ride with a single rider. Tough stuff big guy! Great pictures while on Expedition Everest. All of my pictures turn out like crap because I am screamin' and hollerin' and hangin' on too tightly. :rotfl:

It's been years since we have eaten at Flame Tree because it's always so hot out and BBQ doesn't sound good at the time. I hadn't thought about the fact that they had sandwiches too.

To old grumpy pants....it's Disney, put a smile on your face! :rotfl2::rotfl2: Seriously some people are just ignorant!

Great photos of the Tree of Life (and you and Mom) with all the carvings. And I like the PP pics at EE as well. I would be sitting out with your Mom...never again will you see me on EE (unless I am passed out prior to being physically put in the car).

Awww....cute baby ducks.

I've never had a turkey sandwich at Flame Tree. It's ribs or pulled pork for me.

Sleepy tigers? Aren't they always? ;)

Hi Stephanie, I'm finally caught back up on your TR. I've really enjoyed all of your pictures so far and other than your Mom getting sick during your HS day, it sounds like you guys had a great time.

I wanted to say how sorry I am to hear about you Grandfather, Uncle and Phoenix. Jim and I went through something similar a few years ago when our first Schnauzer got skin cancer. It's so hard to deal with and just so cruel that our fur babies are with us for such a short time. :sad2:

Hopefully I can keep up for a while. Well at least till I head back to WDW in 32 days.

Boo, hiss at the guy who didn't want to ride with a single rider. Tough stuff big guy! Great pictures while on Expedition Everest. All of my pictures turn out like crap because I am screamin' and hollerin' and hangin' on too tightly. :rotfl:

It's been years since we have eaten at Flame Tree because it's always so hot out and BBQ doesn't sound good at the time. I hadn't thought about the fact that they had sandwiches too.

I can understand that it is weird to ride next to a stranger, but oh well! He never said anything to me though, just looked quite unhappy about it.

I had suggested one of the indoor places to eat, but Mom really wanted BBQ so we went there. They have the sandwiches and a really good BBQ chicken on a salad that I loved last year.

To old grumpy pants....it's Disney, put a smile on your face! :rotfl2::rotfl2: Seriously some people are just ignorant!

Great photos of the Tree of Life (and you and Mom) with all the carvings. And I like the PP pics at EE as well. I would be sitting out with your Mom...never again will you see me on EE (unless I am passed out prior to being physically put in the car).

Awww....cute baby ducks.

I've never had a turkey sandwich at Flame Tree. It's ribs or pulled pork for me.

Sleepy tigers? Aren't they always? ;)

Thank you! I so love the carvings on that "tree" and tried to get all of the pictures I could of it.

You sure a certain cute girl couldn't convince you to get on EE with her again? :rotfl2:

The baby ducks were adorable, and I loved that the guests were helping them get to mama, versus trying to grab them or something worse!

I'm not much of a pork fan, but I'm sure George will be getting the ribs when we go in December! BBQ is his favorite type of food, and ribs are the top of the list in that category. :thumbsup2

Hmm...you're right! :rotfl: I've only seen the tigers not sleepy or at least lying around once, and that was when that service dog was there and it was pacing the window staring at the dog. :scared1:

Hi Stephanie, I'm finally caught back up on your TR. I've really enjoyed all of your pictures so far and other than your Mom getting sick during your HS day, it sounds like you guys had a great time.

I wanted to say how sorry I am to hear about you Grandfather, Uncle and Phoenix. Jim and I went through something similar a few years ago when our first Schnauzer got skin cancer. It's so hard to deal with and just so cruel that our fur babies are with us for such a short time. :sad2:

Hopefully I can keep up for a while. Well at least till I head back to WDW in 32 days.

I understand completely, I was so behind on everyone's TRs too!

Thank you very much, it's been a rough few months. Thankfully the meds are working for now and Phoenix is feeling back to himself. I'm just hoping he stays that way for a while still. And I agree, it's so unfair that they live such a short life. :(

I'm so jealous you'll be back to WDW so soon, it's still 100 days for George and I!

My parents were at the World last week and they rode EE for the first time ever. Mom never rode before because she's scared of heights. Dad never rode before because he has motion issues. Let's just say Mom regrets having missed it all these years, and Dad will never ride again. The backwards portion wasn't good to him. :lmao:

I love me some Flame Tree! Excellent choice! :thumbsup2

My parents were at the World last week and they rode EE for the first time ever. Mom never rode before because she's scared of heights. Dad never rode before because he has motion issues. Let's just say Mom regrets having missed it all these years, and Dad will never ride again. The backwards portion wasn't good to him. :lmao:

I love me some Flame Tree! Excellent choice! :thumbsup2

Glad your Mom loved EE, and now your Dad knows that EE is not for him for sure!

Flame Tree is an excellent QS! :goodvibes

DAY 3, THURSDAY MAY 22ND, PART 5

After Mom and I finished our sandwiches we headed back toward Asia so we could continue our early plan of going into Maharajah Jungle Trek.

First we stopped at the bathrooms by Kali River Rapids, which has this cool fountain by it...

...and then we headed into the Jungle!

First up was the Komodo Dragon. There was a CM there and he was sorta standing off to the side, smiling and watching as everyone looked in what appeared to be an empty enclosure and walked away without really looking. I walked around to the side and noticed this, behind the big rock in the middle of the enclosure:

The CM saw that we noticed the Komodo Dragon there and came over to talk to us. He remarked how so many people are in such a rush that they miss out on the animals that they could see if they slowed down for a few seconds. It's so true, as just walking around for a second gave us a great view of it. Oh, and the roommates of his (I'm throwing a gender out there, not sure if the Komodo is male or female) too that he didn't seem to want to eat!

Guess he is kept well fed, so the ducks were safe!

We walked into the bat area next. I'm actually surprised that the bats don't bother my Mom since she is usually squeamish about them and anything that can fly at her. But they don't so we hung around for a bit. I didn't see any of the tortoises this time, but had a great view of several of the fruit bats.

Next up was our favorite animal, the tigers! As usual they were all lying around, but visible at least so I could get lots of pictures!

We walked past the enclosure that usually has the birds and deer in it, but only saw one lone bird:

Once we got on the rope bridge though a CM pointed out the only deer that were out in the enclosure, which were extra hard to see due to them being against the wall. It was one male and one female, though the male had just shed his antlers only days earlier.

You can see the spots where his antlers were in that picture.

CONTINUED IN THE NEXT POST

Mom and I continued through the Maharajah Jungle into the aviary. I took quite a few pictures in there, so I'll just post them for your viewing enjoyment!

Once Maharajah was completed we walked back through Asia and across the bridge toward Dinoland. We noticed a Photopass Photographer on the bridge who was getting a battery change in his unit. We got in line while he finished changing it out. I took one picture of the view before we were in it!

The PP was having a lot of issues and wound up switching out units completely with the runner, but eventually he was ready for us. First us, two pictures from my camera.

Then a couple from the PP

The PP had no line so he asked us if we wanted to do a couple more Magic shots. We said of course, and he moved us down and across to the other side for these pictures:

We thanked him for all the extra time spent with us and moved on since he was starting to get a line. We needed to get inside anyway, as the heat and humidity was at full force and kicking our butts!

NEXT TIME: ANIMALS, CARVINGS AND BUGS! :scared1:

Great update, Steph.

People should slow down because if you look a little longer and around corners, you'll be amazed at what you find.

I did skip through the bat pictures...not a fan.

I love the tigers...great pictures.

What wonderful photopass pictures. I've never seen the one with Jiminey Cricket before. I'll have to be sure we try to head that way and see if we can get that one.

Hi Steph,

I missed your latest updates due to being away, then going back to work. First, I want to say that Phoenix is beautiful and I pray that you both have strength and many happy moments still.

Second, I want to thank you again for recounting this vacation with all the fantastic pictures. Honestly, I feel like I am living it and it makes it easier to wait until next year when it is my and my daughter's turn.

Loved all your pictures a usual!

I've never seen the Komodo Dragon out even though I do look each time I go by there.

Looks like the bats were pretty active while you were there. I'm usually so fascinated by them that I forget to look for the tortoises in that area.

Awesome photos of the Tigers, I love watching them.

Ouch for that poor deer. Well I'm guessing that the antler shedding isn't painful but those big holes sure do look like they would be sore.

I've never seen that PP picture with Jiminy Cricket, very cool.

Great update, Steph.

People should slow down because if you look a little longer and around corners, you'll be amazed at what you find.

I did skip through the bat pictures...not a fan.

I love the tigers...great pictures.

What wonderful photopass pictures. I've never seen the one with Jiminey Cricket before. I'll have to be sure we try to head that way and see if we can get that one.

Exactly! So many people look in an exhibit, don't see something right away and walk off. I found several animals later that day too that will come up that were missed by so many.

The Jiminy Cricket one is new according to the photographer, as was the Chip one the day before. I have one more I had never seen before coming up later this same day.

Hi Steph,

I missed your latest updates due to being away, then going back to work. First, I want to say that Phoenix is beautiful and I pray that you both have strength and many happy moments still.

Second, I want to thank you again for recounting this vacation with all the fantastic pictures. Honestly, I feel like I am living it and it makes it easier to wait until next year when it is my and my daughter's turn.

Thank you very much, I pray for the same things! :goodvibes

You're very welcome, and thank you for the kind words. I know you and your daughter will have a great trip!

Loved all your pictures a usual!

I've never seen the Komodo Dragon out even though I do look each time I go by there.

Looks like the bats were pretty active while you were there. I'm usually so fascinated by them that I forget to look for the tortoises in that area.

Awesome photos of the Tigers, I love watching them.

Ouch for that poor deer. Well I'm guessing that the antler shedding isn't painful but those big holes sure do look like they would be sore.

I've never seen that PP picture with Jiminy Cricket, very cool.

I've never NOT seen the Komodo Dragon, that's why I looked even harder to find it!

I only remembered to look for the tortoises because the previous visit there were some....umm, frisky ones and it stuck in my mind to look again!

I love the tigers too :lovestruc

It probably isn't painful, the CM said it is the same as cutting your nails or hair, but it certainly does look painful for them! :scared1:

As I said to Kathy above, the Jiminy Cricket magic shot is a new one!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter