Heading to NYC... any great restaurant recommendations?

I don't know Flushing at all but we are heading to the US Open... wherever that is lol! I know we take the number 7 and the stadium is right there. Blind leading the blind around NYC really but its an adventure! We will have a subway map and our passes and see what trouble we can get into.

Like a PP said, you can also take the LIRR directly there too. It will cost more, and you will have to go to Penn Station to get it, but the LIRR station at Mets-Willets Point is closer to the tennis stadium. You just go up the stairs, and make a right - it's right there.

Trattoria Trecolori is a great little Italian place near Times Square.
I haven't eaten there in ages but used to regularly eat there about 7-8 years ago and the food was always good and consistent.

I love Rubirosa in Nolita/Soho and Bar Pitti in Greenwich Village for Italian.

As an NYC native, I'm so impressed with the recommendations here! So many people are doing the locals proud by highlighting the gems. Favorites of mine are:

- Ippudo: The ramen is good, the pork buns are better
- Red Farm: Get the soup dumplings.
- Babbo: The place to try amazing new things, like sweetbread and tripe.
- John's Pizza: Tourists love it, and so do I.

Fun quick service (see what I did there?) meals include:
- Katz's. A NY staple.
- Crif Dogs. Delish hot dogs. Adjascent to PDT (please don't tell: "speakeasy" bar, where you need to enter through a phone booth)

That's easy take the 7 to Mets-Willets Point. You can also take the Long Island Rail Road. It costs more but is faster and more comfortable.

Exactly = if you are staying by GC you wont need a Map - 7 train from downstairs to Queens - get off at Willets Point - Mets - Shea Stadium as I still call it and you will see the tennis stadium on one side and Citi Field on the other side.

One train - if its Rush Hour - look for the 7 train with the Diamond around it - that is express - if it has a circle its local which is still easy just about 15-20 minutes longer

OP - I was at Citi Field yesterday, so I saw the signage around the train station.

First of all, if your hotel is near Times Square, I would just take the 7 train. Why go all the way to Penn Station for a 16 minute ride for $6 (off peak, one way) to $8.50 (peak, one way) when you can pay $3 for a single ride MetroCard.

The station name is Mets-Willets Point. (no mention of Shea Stadium, since that hasn't existed since 2009). When you get off the train, just follow the signs to the Tennis Stadium. You will walk all the way across a boardwalk to get there, but it's a straight line and you can't get lost. Plus, there are plenty of MTA employees in orange vests to direct you. And you won't be alone!

If you're going to the tennis in the morning/afternoon, it should be fine. Later afternoon/evening will be crowded - the Mets are home this week, and their games are at night (7:10 PM Monday - Saturday, 8 PM Sunday). After Labor Day, they aren't playing at home.

Have fun! Let us know what you ended up doing - I always love hearing where people ate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter