HDDR picky kid questions

Lisa F

is a very wise woman
This may seem like a weird question, but would it be possible to get the strawberry shortcake with the strawberries on the side? I want to take my son and he is not allergic but he is very very picky. Are these all pre-plated to the max or can I request that it be brought out with just cake and cream and the strawberries on the side for mom who is NOT picky and DOES like strawberries?

Also what kid options are there available again? he might pick at chicken or ribs but might not be a fan of either. I want him to enjoy himself not just tolerate the food... I could probably get him to eat it but it is usually easier to get him to try things he is wary of if there is something sitting there he knows he likes and doesn't feel pressure.

I'm not sure about the Shortcake, but I really think they would be more than accommodating. My cousin wouldn't eat a thing they put on the table so we asked for mac and cheese and they very happily supplied it!

Yes, they can provide the shortcake by itself - my best friend is allergic to strawberries and one of our visits she was served the cake plain, and while it is good with the strawberries its pretty bland without them. So this past fall we asked if there was any other dessert available for her to enjoy, the chef came to talk with her and asked if she like chocolate.........well, let me tell you, the chocolate cake she was served was AWESOME, I had to try a bite and it was as good as my strawberry shortcake if not better! I am not sure another dessert would be supplied if it wasn't for allergy reasons but I can tell you that the shortcake can be brought to you with just the cream on it.

he doesn't have an allergy to strawberries, but he has a ton of sensory issues and the seeds are unbearable to him basically, even in something that is sugary and sweetened... the texture will make him gag at a minimum and maybe worse. Or maybe I should just call and explain that and ask for an alternate dessert? he'd love chocolate cake. I want the strawberry shortcake lol. it's an expensive experience for him to not have a good meal too!

he doesn't have an allergy to strawberries, but he has a ton of sensory issues and the seeds are unbearable to him basically, even in something that is sugary and sweetened... the texture will make him gag at a minimum and maybe worse. Or maybe I should just call and explain that and ask for an alternate dessert? he'd love chocolate cake. I want the strawberry shortcake lol. it's an expensive experience for him to not have a good meal too!

I agree that it is an expensive meal. But an allergy is specific to the ingredient in question. It seems like you and he have competing needs. Perhaps this is not the right place for you.

I think its one thing to ask for the fruit on the side, and another to ask for a special dessert because you would rather have something else. The meal is what it is. They are great about allergies~ but thats different....

It never hurts to ask!
While I can't speak to your specific situation, I have read reviews where they have been accommodating for other dietary choices such as vegetarian etc... not just for allergies.

I think they will accommodate you without issue. No, it is not an allergy but he can't eat the strawberries without being sick and that is an issue. They share a kitchen with Trails End and they can and most likely will get him something else from there. We DO have a life threatening allergy I would have no issue with you saying simply that he cant eat strawberries.....can we get him something else. I know they have individual cups of vanilla ice cream that they can get for him.

I agree that it is an expensive meal. But an allergy is specific to the ingredient in question. It seems like you and he have competing needs. Perhaps this is not the right place for you.
that is without a doubt the silliest response I've ever seen on these boards. It's a dinner show which is great entertainment for people of all ages. They already accommodate kids with entrees that they prefer to the regular meal. Why not dessert? I just would not have thought to ask, but now I will!

I think its one thing to ask for the fruit on the side, and another to ask for a special dessert because you would rather have something else. The meal is what it is. They are great about allergies~ but thats different....
Disney is very accommodating. I think I will go with their call on this rather than taking a survey on an internet board for what people believe to be an appropriate deviation from the standard menu. My kid would probably happily eat dry cake with whipped cream, who knows. His tastes are not as refined as mine are ;) But strawberry shortcake does kind of rely on the strawberries for texture and moisture. If they will grab him a piece of cake from the buffet or a cup of ice cream, what skin is it off anyone else's nose?

It never hurts to ask!
While I can't speak to your specific situation, I have read reviews where they have been accommodating for other dietary choices such as vegetarian etc... not just for allergies.

I think they will accommodate you without issue. No, it is not an allergy but he can't eat the strawberries without being sick and that is an issue. They share a kitchen with Trails End and they can and most likely will get him something else from there. We DO have a life threatening allergy I would have no issue with you saying simply that he cant eat strawberries.....can we get him something else. I know they have individual cups of vanilla ice cream that they can get for him.

Yes, it definitely sounds like it will be worth it to ask! I doubt either of us will go away hungry or unsatisfied. Mama's plannin' on some sangria, that will make up for a lot!

You asked about getting the fruit on the side. I have seen a different food become an issue at that very place, when a person ( adult) got salmon. The family at another table saw that and it was awkward to say the least. Personally I don't mind what your child eats and hope he has a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter