HDDR or Jiko?

pinkxray

DIS Veteran
I know they are totally different but would love some opinions.
Right now we have Jiko for dinner. I've been thinking about it and would really love to try HDDR this trip, but since we are only 10 days out availibilty is limited, so we would have to cancel Jiko.

It will be DH, DD5 and myself. Hubby and DD have no idea of any dining plans besides Chef Mickey and CRT so won't even know what we are missing.

Jiko is our only signature planned and we won't be back to Disney for at least 2-3 years. Should we just wait until DD is older for Jiko? (I was looking foward to dinner there though)

Jiko would probably be lost on your 5yo. HDDR might not be. As delicious as it is, I'd save Jiko for an adults-only meal or a return trip.

I officially love the HDDR but I'd go the other way.

Your 5yo is going to CRT and CM and it's your vacation too. Why shouldn't you get to have a signature dining meal if you are looking forward to it. So much of your trip will be geared towards her having a great time and there is no shame in scheduling in something for you to enjoy too. Just make sure she is well rested and has a few things to keep her busy so you can enjoy yourself.

However, you know yourself best. You may be happier at HDDR. It's LOTS of fun and I thoroughly enjoy it but I think modeling self care is a good thing for kids too. It teaches them that everyone deserves a turn.

Have a great trip!

I did hddr a while ago and I just went to jiko. We liked jiko a lot and plan to go back but with a kid, I would probably do hddr.

I would do Jiko. Your 5 year old is going to get plenty of child friendly time, you are going to want to have a little adult time. I say bring something he enjoys doing, talk to him ahead of time and explain what is going to happen and what you expect and go. Have a great meal and then tour the resort. It's awesome!

Lisa

I've never eaten at Jiko so I can't really give an opinion. But we loved HDDR and I think it would be a lot of fun for your 5yo, as well as you and your hubby. The food is tasty, too!

We love both. You are right they are totally different experiences.
I see the point of all of the previous posters.
But, with a 5 year old on this trip, I would suggest HDDR - if you can still get in. It is a blast and great food. It includes beer, wine and sangria if that matters to you. I think you and hubby will love it at well.
Jiko can be something to look forward to on a future trip.
Have Fun

Park the 5yo in the Cubs Den at AKL and do Jiko. You may have a problem in getting DD to be willing to leave the Cubs Den.

I would choose Jiko, and here's why. We've always taken our son everywhere (and he knows how to behave in any restaurant), and we've never been ones to skimp on nice dining just because he might not appreciate it. He's a kid, he's going to have a grilled cheese anyway, so it doesn't matter where it is. ;) But the first time we went to HDDR I think he was pretty bored -he really only seemed to enjoy a little bit of it. The next year we went again and he really got into. At age 5, a lot of the humor might go over your daughter's head, but at 7 or 8, I think she'll enjoy it much more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter