having second thoughts about adding resale points - help!

WinstonC

Mouseketeer
Ok, I got in the door at DVC late last year with 25 resale points at Saratoga Springs. Good price ($69) compared to buying direct, was able to pay cash, easy and quick sale, etc. I want more, and I'm about to sign a contract and put down a deposit on 60 Vero Beach points at an even lower per point price ($42) with the seller paying half the closing. Obviously these points are at a different resort, and they're also for a different use year than my Saratoga points. I'm reading more and more about convenience issues with having points from different resorts and/or with different use years.

I could probably buy more Saratoga points direct from Disney, but the going rate (as I understand it) is $110 per point, so resale is attractive. However, finding a small contract at the same resort with the same use year is going to be tricky. I'd love to have some advice on this. Please tell me what you think.

To be clear, I do understand the limitations on resale points in general, and those aren't my issue. I'm just wondering how much harder it will be to book reservations if my points are from different resorts and have different use years.

As long as you understand that it will be 2 completely unrelated memberships, I don't think the issues are huge. When making reservations it may be easiest to make 2-3 night ressie with one membership & then follow it up with a second 2-4 night reservation made with the second membership.

Easier if you have the same UY, I think. But not impossible to manage. I personally would be on the hunt for the same UY, but if a great deal for a otherwise perfect contract came up, I would certainly consider it.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!

Are you buying VB because you want to go there, or are you buying it to just have more DVC points and the price point is low? Your post makes it sound like you want to use your points in combination, which you would only be able to do at the 7 month mark with two different resorts. If your intention is to have 85 points to use exclusively at WDW, then you would be better off finding an SSR contract, even if it is not the same UY. You could then at least transfer points from one contract to the other to use in combination at the 11 month mark.

Fidelity has several SSR contracts listed which are 100 points or less right now.

Additionally, although VB has an attractive price per point on the resale market, the annual MF's are over $7/point, which will wipe out your initial savings quickly.

I would not buy 60 points in a different UY only owning 25 points, no matter the size of the new contract. I would also not buy VB unless you want to use them at VB a real part of the time.

Ok, I got in the door at DVC late last year with 25 resale points at Saratoga Springs. Good price ($69) compared to buying direct, was able to pay cash, easy and quick sale, etc. I want more, and I'm about to sign a contract and put down a deposit on 60 Vero Beach points at an even lower per point price ($42) with the seller paying half the closing. Obviously these points are at a different resort, and they're also for a different use year than my Saratoga points. I'm reading more and more about convenience issues with having points from different resorts and/or with different use years.

I could probably buy more Saratoga points direct from Disney, but the going rate (as I understand it) is $110 per point, so resale is attractive. However, finding a small contract at the same resort with the same use year is going to be tricky. I'd love to have some advice on this. Please tell me what you think.

To be clear, I do understand the limitations on resale points in general, and those aren't my issue. I'm just wondering how much harder it will be to book reservations if my points are from different resorts and have different use years.

Do you ever plan to use these points at VB? If no, then you are giving up 7-11 months of home resort advantage to stay at a WDW resort. Why not just buy more SSR points?

If this contract is a different UY than your SSR contract, you cannot combine points for a single night. So you still only have the 25 at SSR to book at 7-11 monthst out at WDW and you cannot combine them into a single night with these VB points. You would have to use a once a year transfer to put them under one contract. Then you get into problems with borrowing since you cannot borrow transferred points.

I'd buy more SSR points or another WDW resort with the same UY. Then you can title them the same and get them under one master contract.

I would wait for the same UY...that's what I've been doing. I own Dec. UY at OKW and am patiently waiting for the right add on. From what I've read the same UY makes things easier to manage.

We own two UY's and different resorts so two memberships. However, the reason I think it has not been too big of a deal is because one has 180 points and the other one has 150--soon to have 250.

When you have two small memberships, you are going to have work within what can be booked in terms of whole nights with each one. And, since one is at WDW and the other one is not, you will be limited to booking at the 11 month window with only what you have now at SSR. Those VB points won't be eligible for booking until 7 months.

IMO, I would hold out for either the same UY or, at the very least, if you have to go with a different UY, get SSR points since you can then transfer them from one membership to the other and use them all at the 11 month mark.

Good luck!

I agree with the previous posters and would at least buy both at SSR so you have the 11 month window in your favor. Much easier to plan when you are going for sure and then can switch or waitlist at 7 months.

We were like you and had a small VWL contract. We recently added on another small contract with the same use year and location. Now the day I started looking for another contract I found it, so I felt like it was karma and we bought it. We paid $2.00 per point more than I wanted, but it was worth it to have the same resort and use year.

We own enought for a studio two times every three years which works great for DH and me. We also own a week at Hilton Head (not Disney) that we can trade into Disney with RCI for bigger rooms or another trip. It works perfecly for us as our MFs are reasonable and everything was paid for with cash.

Good Luck!

My thoughts are similar to everyone else. I wouldn't buy an off WDW resort unless you are planning on frequently staying there. That being said, since it looks like you are planning on buying significantly more points, at least on a percentage basis, than you already have, I would think long and hard about home resort even if you're looking at "value" and getting the biggest bang for your bucks.

Are you able to book 11 months out? If so, you might want to consider buying at BWV, AKV, or possibly even BLT if those resorts interest you. Having the 11 month advantage would give you a leg up in getting the lower point cost standard view rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!