Having a "Me Party" - A solo trip dining review! Update 9/10

Discussion in 'Disney Dining Reviews' started by librarygeek, Jul 8, 2013.

1. librarygeek

librarygeek DIS Veteran

I just got back from my very first solo trip to Disney World and it was incredible! I did meet up with friends a few times while I was down there, so I wasn't totally alone the whole time, but I did get to spend some quality time with myself while I was there ;) At first I was hesitant about doing table service by myself, but then I decided I enjoyed it so much and who cared if I was alone! So I ended up doing a mix of counter service and table service.

I was also lucky enough to attend the Disney wedding of one of my friends while I was down there, so I can also give you an inside look at some Disney wedding food - and a Fantasmic dessert party!

Where I Ate

Of course this is what you're most interested in - the food!

Wedding Lunch Buffet
    Fantasmic Dessert Party
    Cape May Cafe Breakfast
    Boma
    Katsura Grill
    World Showcase Snacks
    Via Napoli
    Splitsville
    Plaza Restaurant
    The Mara
    Tomorrowland Terrace

Also look for snack reviews along the way!

About Me

[​IMG]

Briefly about me - My name is Becky, and I'm 25 years old. I've been married for almost two years, but I had to leave my husband at home for this one since he couldn't get the time off from work. I was actually really excited about trying a solo trip. I would get to do things that I wanted to do at my pace, and I would also be able to meet up with some of my friends down there. I currently work as a tutor, but I recently finished my degree in library science and I'm looking for a job as a children's librarian. I also do theater (currently in a production of Jekyll and Hyde), and I like to write (just finished a children's novel that I'm sending out to agents now).

In terms of food, I'm not too picky. I love pasta and seafood, but I don't really care for marinara sauce. I will eat almost anything, though I tend to lean more toward "lighter" choices like fish, chicken, or vegetarian food (I rarely eat beef, though I do enjoy it on occasion!). I also enjoy a lot of ethnic foods, like Japanese, Indian, Thai, and African.

The Savings

I'm an annual passholder, and I have Tables in Wonderland. This was my 3rd Disney trip this year, so I've been keeping a running total of how much I've saved with my TiW card so I know the full value I got out of it! So far this year, prior to this solo trip, I saved $161.18. So although I didn't add a lot to that number this time, it is definitely paying off for me!

Thanks for following along! Also if you're interested, I have a full trip report of my solo adventures here: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?p=48890650

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. sephorachick

sephorachick DIS Veteran

Cool! I'm excited to hear about all your restaurant reviews & pics :) THe wedding looked pretty :) Jealous that I couldnt afford a wedding there :)

4. Dis_Yoda

Dis_Yoda DIS Veteran

I'm in!

Love Disney Weddings (I had one myself)

5. Linda67

Linda67 Has a Masters in Margaritas

Count me in :goodvibes

6. librarygeek

librarygeek DIS Veteran

I agree with you, I wish I could've done a Disney wedding too! I'm still trying to sell my husband on a Disney vow renewal somewhere down the line ;)

And I saw the link to your blog in your sig... going to check it out!

That's awesome! What were your locations? This one was at the wedding pavilion for the ceremony and the reception was at Atlantic Dance Hall.

Welcome!! Good to "see" you again!

7. sephorachick

sephorachick DIS Veteran

8. It'sWDW4me

It'sWDW4me <font color=green>Fairly new... still gets a tag :

Following along. I'm heading to Pop next week for my first solo trip!! :cool1:

9. rustyanchor

rustyanchor Mouseketeer

sounds fun. i like the title of your thread, that song always gets stuck in my head after watching the muppets! :) i love that soundtrack.

10. Finkerfell

Finkerfell Mouseketeer

Love your thread title, too. Makes me smile :) Can't wait for the reviews!

11. jedijill

jedijill <font color=red>Chiefs fan living in Bronco countr

I"m in!

Jill in CO

12. librarygeek

librarygeek DIS Veteran

13. librarygeek

librarygeek DIS Veteran

Wedding Lunch Buffet

Wednesday night I was staying with a friend, and then on Thursday her husband dropped me off at the Grand to attend my other friend's wedding. The ceremony was beautiful, and then we headed over to Atlantic Dance Hall on the Boardwalk for the pre-reception. If anyone is planning a Disney wedding I know they have a ton of options for food, so here's a peek at what I got to experience!

[​IMG]

The pre-reception food was simple, but good. There were a few pastries - I think a cinnamon one and an apple one, and some mini muffins out. I was starving since I hadn't eaten breakfast so I had an apple pastry and a few muffins, but I held back since I knew there would be good food coming later!

[​IMG]

They also had a really cute drink station set up - there was lemonade, sweet tea, and regular iced tea. Then you could add various fruits and different types of sugar (for the unsweetened tea). It was a very cute and fun idea!

[​IMG]

Around noon we were let downstairs for the actual reception:

[​IMG]

Their favors were even food/drink related! They gave everyone a bottle of their favorite root beer:

[​IMG]

Another cute touch to their wedding was the colored straws. They had yellow and blue to go with their colors:

[​IMG]

Lunch was a buffet, and I had a little bit of almost everything. starting with the roll and going clockwise: roll with butter, garden salad with Mango Poppyseed dressing, Ohana inspired egg noodles with pineapple, assorted potato medley, Parmesan champagne risotto, flank steak, and Parmesan crusted chicken!

[​IMG]

The only thing I didn't try was the steamed vegetables, since there were so many more exciting options. Everything was really good. I'd never had risotto before, but it was tasty - just very rich. I loved the egg noodles with pineapple. The mango poppyseed dressing was delicious! The flank steak was very good and they had a variety of different sauces you could choose to go with it - I went with red pepper aioli. The chicken was also very good, but a little dry. There was a marinara sauce to go with it but I don't care for that so I had it alone. Still good though I would've preferred if the chicken itself was a little more moist. Overall though, the food was incredible! What a great lunch! I would easily give this lunch a 9 out of 10. I loved the variety and everything tasted so good.

And then of course for dessert there was...

[​IMG]

Wedding cake! And as a special surprise, Daisy and Donald came to help cut the cake!

[​IMG]

The inside of the cake:

[​IMG]

It was obviously chocolate, and I honestly have no idea what the filling was. It tasted like it was something relatively simple, but I couldn't identify it. It was definitely delicious though!

Overall I was super impressed with the food at the wedding! Disney definitely does not disappoint! And not only that, but there was a Fantasmic dessert party for wedding guests to come later in the evening!

14. sephorachick

sephorachick DIS Veteran

15. wiigirl

wiigirl DIS Veteran

Following along. :goodvibes

16. sephorachick

sephorachick DIS Veteran

I looked at all your wedding journal. It looks so pretty!!! :) I know how you feel on having a wedding at home & getting more for your $$ wish we were all rich LOL

17. Linda67

Linda67 Has a Masters in Margaritas

Love the photos from the wedding reception :)

The cake looks delicious !

18. lhuggi1

lhuggi1 There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow Starting At

off to a great start :thumbsup2 I love the wedding cake and that Donald and Daisy came out to help !!!!

19. jarofpickles

jarofpickles Earning My Ears

I'm in!

And that cake is gorgeous!

20. librarygeek

librarygeek DIS Veteran

Cool! It is really good root beer!

Glad to have you!

Thanks! I know, where are those money trees?? lol

Thanks! It was great!

Yes, they were so much fun!

Welcome! The cake was stunning, I was so impressed with all of the details!

21. partyof2

partyof2 Colette

Oh WOW what an incredible wedding buffet. The cake looks delicious.

I've never seen Donald and Daisy at a wedding reception before, I loved their outfits. I actually think they look like better guests that Mickey and Minnie!