Having a "Me Party" - a Disney trip by myself! June 2013 update 9/9

I saw Captain EO for the first time last year and I didn't really like it either. I'm a huge MJ fan but this show was so cheesy, it was not entertaining at all. I just didn't get the appeal. Oh well, just like all the dated attraction I'm sure it will be replaced again sometime in the near future.
BTW great character pics! Love the indoor location!

I know!

Oh no, stupid photobucket!! Thankfully I was all caught up. Your's is the second TR I read that recently hit the bandwidth. I ended up buying the cheapest pro photobucket just for the unlimited bandwidth. I know some have switched to Flickr, but I can't comment on it sadly. It looks like you found something though, so that's good!

I think that's the first time I've seen Mary Poppins inside. And while I didn't get a photo last trip, I really thought the new "Christopher Robin's room" Decor for the Tigger and Pooh great was really well done.

I only saw Captain EO for the first time last year (in D-Land). I too wasn't impressed even though I do love Michael. I guess maybe it was impressive in it's day, but by today's standards... not so much.

I think you sold me on seeing Crush!

Yeah! I had a photobucket account for years, and I used it for all of my TR's and dining reviews, as well as many other things. I never hit bandwidth or storage limits until very recently (probably 6 years of using it). Now I'm hitting it in a matter of weeks, so I'm guessing that my old account had larger limits. I may end up paying for the photobucket pro even though I really don't want to. Flickr also doesn't have a ton of storage space and imgur only lets you do 225 images and then deletes them if they don't have any views for 6 months.

It was raining on and off all day, so I think that's why Mary Poppins was inside. I don't think people realized she was there because there was almost no wait, and she had times where she didn't have anyone so she would pop her head out the back door and wave to people, basically saying, "come and meet me, there's no wait!"

Yes, go see Crush! I've done it 4 times and it's been funny every time thanks to the kids! :goodvibes

Stupid Photobucket. The same thing happened to WDWgirl-Sarah.

Me and my dh ate at Via Napoli for lunch. There were many seats open around us, but it was a very busy place. Of course I had to use the bathroom and you had to walk all the way through the Dining to go to the back of Via Napoli. I would of put the bathrooms out front, but I guess everyone would use them.

Looking forward to your pictures being back up tomorrow.

Good point about the bathrooms. There was also a large group celebrating a birthday sitting right near me and they'd definitely been drinking, so that added to the noise level! It still definitely has a very busy feel to it, which is a fun atmosphere sometimes.

I saw Captain EO for the first time last year and I didn't really like it either. I'm a huge MJ fan but this show was so cheesy, it was not entertaining at all. I just didn't get the appeal. Oh well, just like all the dated attraction I'm sure it will be replaced again sometime in the near future.
BTW great character pics! Love the indoor location!

I know they brought it back right after he passed, but I thought they'd just leave it for maybe a year. I can't believe it's been there that long, and I hope they do something with it soon!

Animal Kingdom Morning and Splitsville

First off, sorry I haven't posted an update in awhile! I just came back from Disney on Sunday! I also teach a week of camp this week in addition to tutoring and play rehearsal so it's been crazy busy.

One of my friends that lives in the area was having a birthday this day, and so I met up with her and my other friend for the morning and lunch. She wanted to do AK for her birthday so that's where we went! We let her pick all of our morning activities. First stop was the safari (my favorite!), which of course means more animal pictures ;)

We then walked the Maharajah Jungle Trek to see the tigers.

Everest was next, which I of course love! And then we decided to do Dinosaur. I don't usually do this ride since I'm kind of scared of it, to be honest! But I went on with my friends, figuring when I got scared I could always close my eyes. The first time I went on it I had my eyes closed the whole time. Then in April I had them open for maybe half the time. This time I kept them open for almost the whole thing! I still got very scared at the end though. As you can see from me hiding in the picture... (I'm the one in the very back on the right with my head turned lol):

For lunch we decided to go to Downtown Disney and try out Splitsville. I was excited, as I'd never been there - and I love to bowl, but my husband doesn't really enjoy it so I don't do it very often. The bowling was really fun. We had an hour with three of us, and managed to get in 2 games and about 3 frames of the third game. I did horribly the second game - I'm talking almost all gutterballs! I don't know what the heck happened. The guy in the lane next to us kept trying to give me tips, which made me even more self conscious and screwed up even more. Then when we did the last few frames I did much better, so who knows what happened.

I need to angle my shots a bit more, because I ended up in 7/10 splitsville a lot of the time! :

Overall I really liked it there. The place has a very fun vibe, and the food was really good. The loaded fries in particular were great. Though the bowling is expensive, I definitely would go back sometime.

Oh right you were doing the AoA photoshoot. I hope that went well.

Gee, I may have to try Splitsville some day just to bowl with a Mickey bowling ball. Plus, I've never done bowling with the big ball with the finger holes before ever. All we really had around here was the candlepin style small ball.

Oh right you were doing the AoA photoshoot. I hope that went well.

Gee, I may have to try Splitsville some day just to bowl with a Mickey bowling ball. Plus, I've never done bowling with the big ball with the finger holes before ever. All we really had around here was the candlepin style small ball.

Thanks, the photoshoot did go really well. I can't wait til we get our pictures so I can share some! And you should definitely try Splitsville someday. Like almost everything else, bowling is even better when you do it in Disney!

Not sure if I can tear myself away to bowl at Disney but those Mickey bowling balls are adorable! May be a nice rainy day activity.

Not sure if I can tear myself away to bowl at Disney but those Mickey bowling balls are adorable! May be a nice rainy day activity.

Definitely - or it might be good arrival/leaving day activity, if you don't have time to go to a park but still want something fun to do!

Magic Kingdom Evening

One of my friends that I was with asked me if I was interested in seeing the Grand Floridian DVC model rooms, so I said of course! I didn't get any pictures but we went over there to look at them. Those rooms are really beautiful. I've always been a fan of the Grand Floridian and I think the DVC rooms capture the essence perfectly. I wish I could afford to stay there- maybe someday!

She then dropped me off at the Magic Kingdom, and of course it started raining as soon as I arrived. I took the monorail over and ended up with my own private monorail car!

The rain wasn't too bad. But I was hoping to catch the parade, which didn't work out quite as I'd planned...

I had no idea that they did this. On the one hand, it's nice that they still do something even when they have to cancel the parade. On the other, it's almost sad in awhile. Like, here's a few cast members with umbrellas and a couple of cars with characters you can barely see instead of floats!

I headed to grab some sorcerer's the magic kingdom cards and then I decided to go on the people mover. I didn't feel like waiting for very long but I wanted something that wouldn't leave me out in the rain! While on the people mover I got a text from another one of my friends that lives in Tampa, and she said she was going to be in MK that night with her husband! So I planned to meet up with them.

Chilling in the people mover:

After the people mover I grabbed a fast pass for Space Mountain and then explored some of new Fantasyland. I hadn't seen much of the Dumbo area so I went to look at that, and I checked up on the progress of the 7 dwarfs mine coaster!

Then I met up with my friend and her husband. We started off by doing the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor. They had added a new bit for Monsters University, so it was cool to see something different. That show always makes me laugh!

Next we did the teacups. I hadn't been on them since I was 8 years old.

Oh my word, those things go way faster than I ever imagined! I'm usually pretty good with not getting dizzy, but that ride is intense hahaha! I totally get now why parents don't like that one ;)

We also did pirates before my friends had to leave. They were celebrating their 1st wedding anniversary and had dinner reservations at Fulton's, which is where they had their wedding reception last year. We said goodbye but they mentioned they might be back for fireworks and extra magic hours.

After they left I stopped to get myself a citrus swirl. I'd heard good things about this treat, and I wanted to give it a go. Let me tell you... I discovered heaven!!

Sorry to all of you Dole Whip lovers, but to me this simply blew it out of the water. The combination of the soft serve vanilla with the more icy orange, and of course those flavors together - I think this just became my new favorite Disney treat :)

Just as I was getting off of pirates I got a call from my other friends - I was so popular today! :cheer2: It was the couple that had just gotten married that week, and they wanted to know if I had plans for dinner. They missed their reservation because they had done the Wild Africa trek and it took longer than they anticipated. They couldn't find any other place that had open reservations. I had some at the Plaza that night for two (thinking one of my friends might want to tag along) so I stopped by to see if I could change it to three and they said sure, no problem! So we made plans to meet up for dinner.

Before they showed up I decided to go on Under the Sea. There is something just really enchanting about that ride. I like the Little Mermaid but it's not one of my absolute favorites - but for some reason I can't get enough of this ride!

I then poked around in the Beauty and the Beast gift shop, since that is my favorite movie and I want everything in there. This time I discovered a new item that I would absolutely love to have:

It's stunning! And at $80 it's actually not a terrible price for what you get, but definitely an extra I can't afford right now!

I used my Space Mountain fast pass and then headed to the Plaza. I found my friends and we went on in.

The food definitely didn't leave a huge impression on me, but then again we were busy talking and catching up so I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the food. They told me all about their meal the evening before at Victoria and Albert's, and also about their experience on the Wild Africa Trek. They were on the dining plan and she didn't want her dessert, so she ordered the banana split so I could have it! Very generous...

But even more generous was the fact that they snuck my check away from me and paid for my dinner! They definitely didn't have to do that, but they said it was a thank you for sharing my reservation with them since they couldn't get one anywhere else.

After eating we went on Buzz twice in a row - they're big Buzz fans - look how adorable!

Chris showed me how to hit the spots where you can get the big points. I have terrible aim and still did pretty horribly, but managed to get over 200,00 0 points, which is way more than I usually get! Chris and I did Splash Mountain next, but Megan wasn't interested so we met her at the pin store afterward.

We wanted to find a place to watch Wishes. One of their wedding guests said there was a "really good view" from the top of the Swiss Family Treehouse, so we decided to try it.

Spoiler alert... not a "really good view"! It's okay, and on the plus side there wasn't really anyone else up there, but there are lots of branches in the way so you can't really see a good portion of the show. Not bad if you're just looking for a quick, unique spot to view from, but I personally won't see it from there again.

After Wishes the two other friends that I had met earlier and done the teacups with came back, so the five of us went to Monsters Laugh Floor again. This one was so much funnier thanks to the audience! Two people in the audience had gotten engaged, and they texted that in to the "joke" number. They also happened to be sitting with "That Guy" - but when the camera went to show the engaged couple it focused on the guy from the couple and That Guy! It was pretty funny how he got involved in another joke.

After that we rode Buzz again. I was by myself, so I decided to use both the guns - one in each hand, baby!

And I somehow miraculously got over 700,000 points on one gun!! I don't know how I did it, but here's the proof...

Megan and Chris left after that, but I stayed with my other two friends and we did Winnie the Pooh and Haunted Mansion. We left MK around 12:15, but I didn't get back to AKL until about 1am. And I had an early morning planned because I wanted to make sure I would get on Toy Story Mania so I had to go for rope drop!

AHHHH The Rainy Day Character Calvacade!! I've only seen this once, but I honestly loved it. I probably liked it more because there were very few people around that day (relatively speaking of course... It's still Disney), and a lot of the characters were out on foot. Lots of great interactions as a result.

Haha, I actually switched to citrus swirl from pineapple recently. Was the one you had from the Orange Bird or Aloha Isle? For a REALLY big flavour try a citrus swirl pineapple float. YUM!

I LOVE that Buzz photo working both guns. That never occurred to me. Although I suck pretty bad at it, so the less distraction the better. :laughing:

Wow, you had a very full day.

You had lots of friends on this day of your solo trip!! I love the photos of the mine car coaster-- it's really coming along! I can't wait until it opens!
I agree, Ariel's Undersea Adventure was a great addition. I love the line-- so lush and beachy!
Um, yeah, I wouldn't call that a "great view" of Wishes!!

Ha Ha! Love the "double gunning" it pic!:lmao:

lol thanks!!

AHHHH The Rainy Day Character Calvacade!! I've only seen this once, but I honestly loved it. I probably liked it more because there were very few people around that day (relatively speaking of course... It's still Disney), and a lot of the characters were out on foot. Lots of great interactions as a result.

Haha, I actually switched to citrus swirl from pineapple recently. Was the one you had from the Orange Bird or Aloha Isle? For a REALLY big flavour try a citrus swirl pineapple float. YUM!

I LOVE that Buzz photo working both guns. That never occurred to me. Although I suck pretty bad at it, so the less distraction the better. :laughing:

Wow, you had a very full day.

I guess the Character Cavalcade was also more disappointing because the place was packed, and it also wasn't raining much at that moment. It had been drizzling on and off, and I know they have dancers in the parade and of course you wouldn't want them dancing on a wet ground so better to be safe than sorry!

The citrus swirl I had was from the Orange Bird. The next day I tried a dole whip orange and pineapple swirl (no float), but I still preferred the citrus swirl!

And it was our third time on Buzz that night so I figured I'd go for both guns ;) I wasn't really focusing at all, but somehow I did something right...

You had lots of friends on this day of your solo trip!! I love the photos of the mine car coaster-- it's really coming along! I can't wait until it opens!
I agree, Ariel's Undersea Adventure was a great addition. I love the line-- so lush and beachy!
Um, yeah, I wouldn't call that a "great view" of Wishes!!

Yes, I am so excited about the mine coaster opening! And def not a great view of Wishes, haha - but if you stay tuned you'll see the great view I had for fireworks the next evening!

Hollywood Studios morning

Let me start off by saying that I had a bit of a rough day this day! It just seemed like so many little things were going wrong for me in HS. I got there right at rope drop time and it was a beautiful morning. I hurried my way down to Toy Story Mania, of course.

Unfortunately, when I got there the ride wasn't up yet! They didn't have an estimate on when it might be available. So everyone was grabbing fastpasses, so of course I got one too. Mine was for 12:30-1:30, so I set off to find something else to do. I decided to go to Star Tours, so I could pass by Toy Story on my way back.

Star Tours was good as always - I walked right on and had a good sequence. I passed by Toy Story again afterwards but no luck. So I decided to pop into Walt Disney: One Man's Dream! I don't think I'd ever been in there before!

It was definitely really interesting. I liked all of the historical stuff, but I also thought all of the models at the end were very cool, especially the stuff of new fantasyland.

Next I decided to head for Rockin' Roller Coaster and do the single rider line. Which was fine, no wait until after the little movie bit. And that's when the frustration started. There were several large tour groups that had been on the standby line and were just getting to the front when I was waiting. Well, everyone in those groups is "together" - which means that literally not one single rider got placed for a long time, because 100's of people that were together and didn't need an odd party member were boarding. I waited without moving for over 45 minutes for Rockin' Roller Coaster. If I had known I would've just gotten a fastpass! The wait for it, combined with my bad Toy Story luck, did not have me in a great mood.

Another stroll past Toy Story showed me it was still closed (hopefully it would be open by my fastpass time!), so I went to the Animation Academy to do a drawing. I do really enjoy this. We got Donald this time around, and here's mine:

I then headed over to the Beauty and the Beast show, another one of my favorites. Since I was by myself I was able to squeeze in and get a pretty decent seat.

By this time it was 12:30 and I was very hungry. I really wanted to try the Chicken Caesar sandwich at Min and Bill's dockside diner, so I headed there. I had read a blog post reviewing it a few months ago and it looked great! So imagine my disappointment to find.. it was no longer on the menu. Nothing else there was really striking my fancy, and I'm not a fan of any of the counter service in HS. Toy Story still wasn't open. I don't do Tower of Terror and there really weren't any other rides or attractions I was dying to do. So I left, and went back to Animal Kingdom lodge rather disappointed with my time in Hollywood Studios.

When I got back to AKL at least this guy was there to cheer me up:

And I ended up eating at the Mara, which was really yummy! I also treated myself to this cupcake:

And I decided to eat outside. But as I was going through the door a man coming in opened the door really fast from the other side and knocked the cupcake out of my hand - and onto my foot. I was only wearing flip flops so of course I ended up with icing all over my foot. Disney was great though - one of the people cleaning up immediately came over to help. He got me a wet cloth to clean my foot off and went back up to the counter to get me another cupcake. Stuff like that doesn't really bother me (as long as I still get my cupcake, I'm good!), but it was just like - what else could happen today?? :confused3

Hint: the evening turned out to be incredible. So it gets better!

Ahhh I swear I could spend hours in One Man's Dream. I'm so glad you decided to check it out.

I feel so fortunate not to have been affected by those large tour groups. I can see it being really frustrating.

Aw gee, and then a cupcake to the foot. Glad that Disney was there for you. :goodvibes

Ahhh I swear I could spend hours in One Man's Dream. I'm so glad you decided to check it out.

I feel so fortunate not to have been affected by those large tour groups. I can see it being really frustrating.

Aw gee, and then a cupcake to the foot. Glad that Disney was there for you. :goodvibes

Yes, One Man's Dream was awesome! I could definitely go back and spend more time in there. And you're very lucky you didn't suffer because of the tour groups... they can be a real pain!

What a great report, especially like the dessert updates.

Thank you, I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Aw, I'm sorry your morning at DHS wasn't that great! I would have been disappointed about TSMM, too! But One Man's Dream & BATB are great-- you had an amazing view of the show!

Aw, I'm sorry your morning at DHS wasn't that great! I would have been disappointed about TSMM, too! But One Man's Dream & BATB are great-- you had an amazing view of the show!

Yeah, I'm glad I got to do those two things! However, that day really made me realize that something needs to be done to Hollywood Studios. With the exception of TSMM, I had done everything I had any interest in doing by 12:30. Granted, I've seen a lot of the shows before and I don't do Tower of Terror, but still... I'd love to see an update in that park!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter