Haven't been to Disney in 20 years- Advanced Dining Reservations??

Libby6

Mouseketeer
My hubby and I are going with our baby in April, and neither of us have been to Disney in a looooong time! The last time I was there was when POR was still Dixie Landings......I've been reading about the Advanced Dining Reservations, and am really confused. On our trip years ago, my family would just go and eat wherever we wanted. If there was a huge wait, we'd try another place. Is this really true that any sit down restaurant requires a reservation made months in advance? Has Disney become that crowded??

Unfortunately, Disney trip needs to be planned months in advance if you want to enjoy it and be on Disney property all the time. If you want a good table meal at a popular restaurant, the reservations need to be made 6 months in advance. Some of the restaurants get reserved minutes within the 6 month window.
If you have a car, and are willing to drive out of Disney, ADR's become less of an issue. However, if you want to maximize your Disney time, dinner at a resort, parks or Disney Springs is better. If you want to eat the (Disney version) fast food for lunch and dinner, then you would not need ADR.
Our personal groove (say, for a 7 day trip) is have 4 ADR's, 2 trips to Earl of Sandwich in Disney Springs and wing it most other times. Since we are DVC owners, we eat a good breakfast in the room, taking advantage of the kitchen and dining room, along with a full size fridge.

Yes, Disney is that crowded. However, it really depends on when you go. By that I mean time of year, what meal--breakfast, lunch or dinner--and whether you are going on a weekend day or a weekday. If you are going on Christmas Week or Easter Week or Thanksgiving Weekend or any major holiday day, then you definitely need to make ADRs for everything. I always go at slower times and I still seem to need ADRs for certain restaurants (Be Our Guest at MK, Le Cellier at EPCOT to name a couple). You would also always need ADRs for special things like character dining (especially Cinderella's Royal Table at MK or Akershus Royal Hall at EPCOT). I tend to always make ADRs now, but they aren't always necessary when I go. For instance, when I book lunch at the Hollywood Brown Derby in HS, it's almost never crowded at lunch when I'm there. Anyway, have lots of fun planning! Lots and lots of changes in the past 20 years--you'll be amazed!! Aside from all the difference in the parks, there are Magicbands, Magical Disney Experience (MDE) online, lots of additional hotel and dining options--the list goes on and on!

My hubby and I are going with our baby in April, and neither of us have been to Disney in a looooong time! The last time I was there was when POR was still Dixie Landings......I've been reading about the Advanced Dining Reservations, and am really confused. On our trip years ago, my family would just go and eat wherever we wanted. If there was a huge wait, we'd try another place. Is this really true that any sit down restaurant requires a reservation made months in advance? Has Disney become that crowded??

It is very different from the way it was 20 years ago! Reservations are much more important. But, it depends on where you want to eat and the kind of food/atmosphere you want. If you prefer places that are not quite as popular, you can still get ADRs closer to your travel dates. Even more popular places can be found if you're diligent. I booked many of ours about 3 months ahead, instead of 6 months, and was able to get everything we wanted ('Ohana, Via Napoli, Biergarten, California Grill, Hoop Dee Doo). I was also able to make changes up until the week before we arrived. I had multiple ADRs for the same night and just dropped the ones we didn't want before the 24hr cancellation window.

We have seen it change a lot and have only been going since 99. Back then, you could walk up to a few restaurants and get in. Now, not as much. I would go ahead and book anything you definitely want, knowing you can cancel without issue by at least 24 hrs in advance.

Is this really true that any sit down restaurant requires a reservation made months in advance? Has Disney become that crowded??

Yes, and yes. Well, not EVERY Disney restaurant. But most of them. Having said that, CS restaurants have come a long way in the last 20 years, too. If you really don't want to make ADRs months in advance, then don't. Look at the menus of the counter service restaurants. You can go for a week and never touch a greasy burger or cardboard pizza if you choose wisely. Or you could just go online on any day and see what is available. But you would need to be very flexible as far as dining times and restaurants go. Don't expect to find prime times or popular places.

Note: Your odds on getting into a Character Meal, especially, drop to near 0 without a reservation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter