Have you seen the Princesses Make-Overs?

Discussion in 'The DIS Unplugged Podcast' started by WaltD4Me, Sep 16, 2012.

1. rotlex

rotlex Is it summer yet?

Ditto. I can deal with the hair, but the face? What is up with that? It's Cinderella, how do you change that?!?!

Yeah, I'm the Dad, but my kids feel the same way! :)

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. lilmrsellis

lilmrsellis Wishing upon a star...

I never would have liked this when I was a kid. I wouldn't get a princess dress because they had those stupid cameo things on the front with the princess's face. It wasn't accurate to the movie, lol!

4. MickeyBalloons

MickeyBalloons Earning My Ears

I noticed all the minority princesses are drawn smaller. They are also posed awkwardly or drawn simply, with no life to them. The classic princesses look over designed and forced. It's almost like each princess was drawn by a different designer. The whole thing is a mess. Let's hope this was the work of interns and just fades away.

5. Mary Jo

Mary Jo Techarita Moderator

This looks like Phyllis Diller in costume.

6. loricdietzel

loricdietzel Mouseketeer

7. GaSleepingBeautyFan

GaSleepingBeautyFan DIS Veteran

I haven't paid attention to the princess makeovers before.

This is the first time I've really looked at them and they are just wrong because they should match the movies - modernizing isn't always good and it's a shame Disney doesn't see that.

8. WaltD4Me

WaltD4Me <font color=royalblue>PS...I tried asking for wate

I saw a huge display of the new Cinderella in Target today. Seeing her in person (the doll) was even more disappointing. If I hadn't already known about the make-overs I would have checked the box to see if they had a Disney trademark. And the doll also has the curl of hair over her ear, but it sticks out kinda funny and looks dumb. :( "Look Mommy! It's teen Cinderella going to prom!" :rolleyes2

I don't understand why Disney would want something so generic looking? Disney dolls are distinctive, my niece has lots of Barbie like dolls...they all have been put in different clothes and you can still tell who is Belle or Cinderella or whoever, clothes or not... but not anymore. They could have "modernized" them some and still left them distinctive and recognizable as Disney. I don't get it. :confused3

9. lilmrsellis

lilmrsellis Wishing upon a star...

If you look at the minority girls, though, they didn't seem to change at all! Especially, Pocahontas, like a Powhatan princess really wore that outfit, lol.

10. Tink rules

Tink rules <font color=teal>The kids in my family sometimes t

I didn't really like it when they did it to Tink either..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Tink rules

Tink rules <font color=teal>The kids in my family sometimes t

& with the princesses.. they look a bit too airbrushed...

12. daraddg

daraddg DIS Veteran

I dont really see it is that big of a change

13. sayhello

sayhello Have Camera, Will Travel Moderator

If you're having a hard time visualizing, here's both, minus a couple of princesses...

Sayhello

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Jotash

Jotash Mouseketeer

They gave Belle hair extensions!

15. belle41379

belle41379 Disney is my happy place.

LOL. It looks like her night was a little too wild...:rolleyes1

16. Quicklabs

Quicklabs DIS Veteran

I hate to say it, but I think some of them, with that "bed head hair do" ,look a little bit--how shall I say it?--um, I guess the kind way would be "trampy".

17. Manga

Manga Mouseketeer

No!!! Don't do that to my favorite Disney villain!!! Ursula is perfect the way she is!

I agree Disney is probably trying to make these adult dolls more fashionable, but personally I don't see how making the characters (especially my beloved Ursula) this much thinner result in a more chic or en vogue image.

18. PinkLemonade7503

PinkLemonade7503 Mouseketeer

I don't really like this either. I loved the classic look of Cinderella, and her hair. I don't want everything over Barbie-ified. I agree Cinderella looks like a knock off. I prefer them it have an unattainable level of natural beauty ;), not extensions, and more make up, etc. I think Sleeping Beauty looks like she had too many facelifts with those weird eyes. And poor Jasmine, she is always standing in awkward positions, not to mention, in that outfit, she probably has to suck her stomach in all of the time!

19. GenieCat

GenieCat DIS Veteran

Except Jasmine, they are obviously wearing corsets, poor dears. If they wanted to make the princesses more contemporary, they should have added a few pounds!

Whenever new Disney artwork is released, does anyone else find themselves looking for an Easter Egg?

20. Oswald lover

Oswald lover Hylian

Yeah that's weird. I also noticed that they added sparkles to the dresses :confused:

21. Angebee

Angebee Mouseketeer

I don't understand the need to dress up Mulan in her bride gown. She dishonored her family in that outfit (and went on to do much greater things). Yes, the plain dress was .... well, plain, but I think it suits her better. It looks like the only one not touched at all was Pocahontas. I'm also not a fan of Belles hair extensions. You don't make my favorite princess look like a tramp. Hopefully hers won't be installed until after our February visit.