Have you or how many times have you gone solo?

old lady

DIS Veteran
There is a big difference going on a solo or leaving your group? Have many times have you done both?

2 times solo, getting ready for my third next week for F&W. Can't count how many times I've been with DS, DS & DIL, DS/mother/brother. Been going since 1983, every other year until 2 years ago when I started going twice a year. The biggest difference for me is I go slower, ride less rides and do more shows, spend more time enjoying the resorts.

I'm currently on my 2nd solo trip. First one was for 10 days (3/7 universal/disney split) and this trip is 17 days (3/14 split). I've always gone to Disney previouslt with my family so we never split but it meant we missed out in rides because my family weren't interested (basically skipped fantasyland except for IASW because it's my Mum's fave).

I love being solo! I can eat where and when I want, I can ride the Little Mermaid as many times as I want and I don't have any over-tired/too hot arguments with anyone. It's also a lot easier to navigate around the parks especially if it's busy!

However I would never personally come solo during peak times because there's only so many photos I can take in a line. If it's really hot I'll stand in a line 30-50mins just to get some aircon but generally if it's that long I'll come back later and find something shorter to entertain myself

A bunch by myself & I stay off site. I live 1.5 hours away so I go for weekends to get the "fix". My 1st year I spent 18 days in the parks & probably only handful were with going with people. For awhile I really got into going solo...do as I want when I want how I want! Also as a solo rider I found I could really zip along in the parks & get thru ride lines pretty quick.

Most of my trips have been solo - Disney is my go-to-place when I can't wrangle someone else in to traveling with me. Safe, easy and fun!

I've never "left my group" - but my "group" on the non-solo trips has been my sister, with our Dad joining us for a lot of the time. (He spent some relaxation time on the beach at Poly a couple of days while we girls ran around.)

Currently, I am counting down to my 5th Annual Solo Trip, and I intend to keep this streak going as long as I can. I am so spoiled, following my own whims without having to consult with anyone else.

I just posted in another thread here: I think the main thing to think about is, are you happy/comfortable doing things solo in your everyday life? (Movies/shopping/eating, etc)

I have done 2 solo trips. The first was 4 nights and the second 5. That is long enough for me to enjoy myself and try new things, such as behind the scenes tours. I don't do much solo at home, but feel safe at Disney while my DH is on other trips.

I started with the first family trip in 2007. I added 2 days to the front of the trip and went solo. It was awesome and the best part of the trip. So I started an annual week long trip in 2008. I also have a group of Disney friends I travel with and my family insisted on a return trip as well. I find I always break off from the group-sometimes for a full day, some days just for a few hours. The breaks from the group keep me sane. The solo trips keep me happy.

I just booked my first solo trip yesterday! I will be going 12/6-12/9. I'm so excited to be able to do whatever I want! We just got back 2 weeks ago from our family trip (me, my hubby, and 2 kids) and while it was so fun and had an amazing time I am really looking forward to focusing on ME and whatever I want to do. I can resort hop, eat wherever and totally be on my own timeline. I can sit on a bench in the world showcase for 7 hours if I want!

I'm on my 2nd solo trip now. I love going solo, the short wait times, being on my own schedule, being able to fit on any bus, transversing the crowds with ease, etc. What most people have a problem with is eating alone, whail it is nice to have someone to talk to I'm completely OK eating by myself. The solitude and time to reflect on my day so far is very relaxing.

Once solo (2010) and two solo trips coming up in Oct and Nov. I usually go with my adult daughter, so this will be kind of weird. I think the biggest difference for me is the ability to do whatever I want without having to appease others. I am not a fan of Test Track, but my daughter loves it, so we would go. Solo means I dont have to ride it. Another thing I like is to sit back and relax some. Solo means I can do that.

I just booked my first solo trip yesterday! I will be going 12/6-12/9. I'm so excited to be able to do whatever I want! We just got back 2 weeks ago from our family trip (me, my hubby, and 2 kids) and while it was so fun and had an amazing time I am really looking forward to focusing on ME and whatever I want to do. I can resort hop, eat wherever and totally be on my own timeline. I can sit on a bench in the world showcase for 7 hours if I want!

I just booked mine today! Summer 2016!! Totally on impulse...DD is going to sleep away camp for the first time next year, DH is not a Disney fan, and I decided to slip away for a bit. I'm going to a moderate, where we've always stayed value. I'm considering upgrading my DP to table service, since I've never eaten sit-down except at character breakfasts (but I really do love QS, so maybe not...).

But, so much of what I love about Disney is how DD and I share it. I'm wondering if I'll love it as much solo (but in a different way, of course) or end up feeling melancholy. I really enjoy doing things by myself when I can (movies, eating at diners, shopping) so I'm definitely not afraid to take tours, eat signature, or ... Sit on a bench in world showcase! Hope you have a great time, and post about it after! Have an adventure!

I've never done a whole solo trip before, but I've done solo park days. Honestly, I found it kind of weird but am doing a semi-solo trip coming up. So it'll be an adventure!

I've been about 18 times solo. On many of the other 15+ times I've had solo mornings or days because DH plays golf so much when we're at WDW. It's not unusual for him toggle in the AM while I do a park solo. Then we meet up for lunch and tour together in the afternoon.

When I did my internship I used to visit the parks solo sometimes and did Sea World and Universal on my own. The only thing I found awkward were the comments from some guys working at Universal about why was an attractive woman by herself... talk about uncomfortable. Anyway, I do a lot on my own here at home as well and have found that I really enjoy doing my own thing and usually have the best time this way. So... I'm hoping to do a solo trip next March!

I have done plenty of both, no preference but man I screen the people I go to Disney with. I was very disappointed once by someone who wanted to go, loved all the rides, HAD been there before but when we got there, just about every ride was "I'm not going on that!" "I'll get sick!" "You're not getting me on that!" If we didn't have so much fun on the rest of the trip I would call it a waste. But she was cool in that she stood in the line ups with me, just when it came time to get on the ride, they let her stand by the dis-embark 'til I came back. (We called it the chicken-bleep door). From now on, I'm going to specify - do you like roller coasters, do you like dropping from the sky etc. Taking my niece for her high school grad was a blast, too. I like taking someone for the first time, seeing it with the fresh eyes that were mine on my first trip in 1986.

I've never gone with a big group. It sounds like when big groups go and they insist upon sticking together, they spend all of their time rounding everyone up.

I've done one solo trip, but I joined up with fellow disboard members for dinner almost every night. One disboard person I spent the day with at Epcot. It was a week long trip. Personally, I felt too lonely. It was my first solo trip ever which probably added to the loneliness. I made a lot of phone calls back home; because, I needed the connection to family and friends. I did accomplish more on my own and it was nice to do everything my way, but for me it's more fun to do Disney with others. I found myself striking up conversations with strangers at parades and firework viewings. I felt a little uneasy at getting back to my value resort room at night. I was looking back quite often. I was happy to have a preferred room location; so, my walk was shorter. If I do it again I will stay at a deluxe to avoid the outside rooms.

There is a big difference going on a solo or leaving your group? Have many times have you done both?

A lot of my trips and father daughter which falls under the "leaving your group" thing. It's only different in that you have to meet up with them at some point or start the day with them so I agree it's different. A full solo, just me trip I've done about 3 or 4 times. Usually it's actually something else in the area i'm down there for and stay or arrive a few days early to add WDW to my plans.

Been solo three times, with another coming up next year. No idea when I'll be going back with a group, but I'm fine with that.

When I've gone with the family I haven't really left the "group" for an extended period that I can remember. We have a basic rule that no one has to do a ride or see a show they don't want to, and during that time they can either wait or do something else. Unless we're doing a kid-swap on a ride (not a factor for some years now), we would just agree to meet somewhere in a half-hour or so. I usually just pop in one of the shops and browse, or perhaps find a shady spot and people-watch while I'm waiting.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter