Have you gotten a free cabin upgrade?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by jasmine91, Jul 14, 2013.

1. jasmine91

jasmine91 Mouseketeer

We have heard that sometimes, at check in, some guests are offered free room upgrades! I am just curious how common this is?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Dug720

Dug720 SQUIRREL!!

As I understand it, the free ones are rare. There are sometimes upgrades offered for an additional fee, but only if there are cabins available.

4. TXDCLfan

TXDCLfan Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it rig

10 cruises and 0 upgrades:sad:

5. twentytoez

twentytoez Mouseketeer

What type of original booking did you have?

6. su_A_ve

su_A_ve DIS Veteran

Our first cruise we booked OGT and got a 5e verandah. Nothing on the second cruise (kids sail free)

7. lbgraves

lbgraves Little Cinderella's Mommy

I haven't heard of anyone being given a free upgrade when they check in, but it does happen before the cruise date. We found out we got an upgrade from cat 11 to cat 8 on our first cruise when I went to the TA and paid the balance. The room number was on the receipt. The TA had no idea what that meant but I could tell that it was an outside room because it was an even number. :) Third cruise I was checking to see if we had been moved to early dining & the day we were, I also noticed that our room was changed. We and our friends we were linked to were both moved from a cat 8 to a cat 4. Nothing since, but we book what we will be happy with.

8. woody73

woody73 <font color=darkorange>Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen<br><

We received free upgrades a few times before disembarkation day.

Woody

9. cwdefouw

cwdefouw DVC Member since 1999

On our first cruise, we had two cat 7's booked and both were upgraded to cat 4's a week before the cruise. This was in 2001. We have now sailed nine times and never been upgraded since. Based on experience and this board, if you are hoping for an upgrade at the port, for free, that is most likely wishful thinking. Certainly not impossible, but chances are very slim.

10. com_op_2000

com_op_2000 DVC Member since '93; One Hour from WDW

We reserved an inside stateroom but were upgraded to an ocean view room. We did not find out about the upgrade until we got to the room, what a surprise that was.
    When the luggage was delivered it still had the tags for the old room # on them.

11. Denine

Denine I want to go on a cruise! I want to move to sunny

13 cruises and no upgrades. We book the cabin we will be happy in.

12. MikeAndNick

MikeAndNick If you can dream it, you can do it.

I was upgraded from inside to veranda on a tran-Atlantic cruise. They did it about 2 or 3 months before our cruise.

13. jasmine91

jasmine91 Mouseketeer

Ok, we booked a navigator's verandah room and will be happy with it I am sure! But, it sure would be nice to get a verandah! We have heard that discounted upgrades are more common than free. We'll see!

14. MikeAndNick

MikeAndNick If you can dream it, you can do it.

I have been in the navigators veranda and I would rather have it than a regular veranda. You have the veranda but you have more privacy and protection from the wind and rain.

15. disneybass

disneybass There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at

We booked a 7A for a 3 night Dream cruise in August and were upgraded to a 5A about 45 days before sailing.

16. Mousemom

Mousemom DIS Veteran

We were booked in a Navigator's Verandah and did not have a room assigned until this weekend. Our cruise in in September. The stateroom number was posted this weekend. I don't know if there was a mistake and it will be changed/corrected but our travel agent said it looks like they upgraded us to a 5A Verandah room. I was not expecting any upgrade so if this is the case we will be happy but would be happy in any room. Just getting to go on a cruise to the Bahamas is awesome. We don't plan on being in our room much but having a verandah to sit on in the evening with a drink in hand or having a cup of coffee in the morning is a treat.

17. sambycat

sambycat DIS Veteran

5 cruises (1gty category), no upgrades for free none available for $$$ at any price I would have considered a "bargain".

18. tlynk

tlynk DIS Veteran

On our first Disney Wonder cruise we had two inside Cat 11 GTY cabins booked and we got upgraded to two OV's on Deck 2 mid-ship. I was thrilled! :-)

19. tweis

tweis DIS Veteran

We booked a 7A GTY and were upgraded to a 5B. This was not a discounted rate (IGT/OGT/VGT) but a "guaranteed" (GTY) room.

20. iloverags2

iloverags2 DIS Veteran

Six cruises - on our first cruise in Feb 2000, we were upgraded from a category 10 inside guaranteed to a category 7 navigator's verandah. We booked the cruise about 3 or 4 weeks prior to sailing, and when we received documents in the mail shortly after we had been upgraded. On my third cruise (Oct 2009) we were offered the opportunity to upgrade from a category 12 inside to a category 9 oceanview for $99 total, which we took. We had booked about seven months prior to the cruise, and received the offer about two months before the cruise. That one was odd, but I have learned not to question things! We have upgraded at the port for a small fee a couple of times.

21. n8nally

n8nally DIS Veteran

I also booked a 7A GTY for Sept and just received my cabin assignment last week. Upgraded to a 5A :)