Have you ever made your pirate costume?

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by cpdrn7, Aug 1, 2009.

1. cpdrn7

cpdrn7 Mouseketeer

I have been looking on line for a while now and just cant seem to justify the
    price tag. I was wondering if it that hard or costly to just go out and make my own.
    Anyone try this? Success pictures?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Mickey527

Mickey527 DIS Veteran

My son bought a really nice costume from Oriental Trader for about $25 that he used today for a promotion they were doing at his Trader Joe's store. It didn't come with a hat but I found one in Clearwater at a costume shop for $7. I also bought boot covers at the costume store for $20. because the costume ones were cheap looking.
    I am going to make a pirate costume for my grandson this Halloween. I checked out the patterns and can't justify paying $16.95 for a pattern so I found a See & Sew pajama pattern that is basicaly the same shape and bought it for $2.99.
    I am making him a pair of black pants and a long sleeve jacket and he will wear a t-shirt underneath. I also bought some red fabric to make a sash belt.
    The PJ pattern I bought has elastic waist pants and a V-neck long sleeve top that buttons down the front. I am going to make the top longer so he can belt it and it will look like a jacket with the sash around his belt. I found some cute skull and crossbones fabric that has a black background with white skull and some red scarfs on the skull heads.
    I am going to look in Salvation army or Goodwill for a long sleeve shirt but but if I can't find any I will just let him wear the long sleeve t-shirt and make a frilly thing to attach to the front and some frills for the bottom of the sleeve. I think this will be easier.
    I bought a kids hat from a store in Clearwater Beach when I was there last week.

4. snarlingcoyote

snarlingcoyote <font color=blue>I know people who live in really

I have an all purpose wench costume: A drawstring peasant blouse worn under a black wenchy corset with an old brown prairie skirt. That's my basic wench costume.

For pirate I add a pair of little black lace up boots (they work well for playing fairy, witch or pirate), then I wear some heavy old Afghan jewelery around my neck, paired with big gold hoops in my ears. I curl my hair and tease it out, then put in a bright bandana. If it's hot out, I throw on a brightly colored shawl. If it's cooler, I have an old military style jacket with buttons missing and lots and lots of wear.

Add a pewter mug or a fake sword and I'm ready to go. I might add a hat this year if I do pirate though. . .

5. sameyeyam

sameyeyam <font color=royalblue>Cancer didn't take my life,

Yes, red or black sweat pants, a striped red & white or black & white shirt and hat and accessories from Dollar Tree. Old handkerchief I found in DH's dresser. Got the sweat pants and striped shirts at Target.:thumbsup2 Plus the added bonus, pants and shirt are wearable afterwards and not once have I been mistaken for a pirate without the accessories.;)

6. jasmom

jasmom Mouseketeer

I made my son a pirate costume last halloween. He had jeans with the knee out of one leg. I cut it off at the knee and I cut the other leg a little longer, then I fraid (spelling) and tore them a bit. He had a white shirt that was looking old. I ripped it up a little and made it look dirty with a brown crayon. He wore a bandana on his head that I got at the dollar store with a skull and cross bones on it and a toy sword in a loop on the jeans. He is going to wear it this year at MNSSHP. He also had an aya patch. I am going to make the rest of the family a pirat costume too.(my DH just doesn't know yet)

7. LisaG

LisaG Earning My Ears

Take an old pair of black knit/yoga pants and make a jagged egde around the bottom of each leg. Pair with a striped t-shirt and a sash around the hip area. Add a bandana on your head and big hoop earrings. This is what the CMs did on a Halloween Disney Cruise I took in 2004. They were all dressed like this and it was easy and effective.

8. skip323

skip323 Mouseketeer

Yes... dd wanted to be a pirate last year. We purchased black sweats from Target (sale..maybe $3.00). We also purchased a fake sword. Then we went to goodwill and found a dress shirt with a front that had large, layered ruffles in the women's section. We belted that and then added on a men's dress vest (also purchased at goodwill). Put a bandana on her head. It was a really cool costume!! I don't think I have pics but if I find one I will post it!

9. rcraw45425

rcraw45425 <font color=darkorchid>I'm a 43 year old mom with

I made DDs pirate costume for the Halloween party in '06:

[​IMG]

10. buzz5985

buzz5985 DIS Veteran

Awesome job!!!

Before POTC, we went to WDW during the Halloween Party. I went to Salvation army and bought DH and DS kaki pants, which we ripped at the knees, found a shirt for DS (was for girls) with bell bottomed sleeves, puckered cotton shirt, a vest, same for DH used rope for a belt, put neckerchiefs on their heads, and eye patches. Had a blast.

11. DawnM

DawnM Dawn

I made my boys pirate costumes a couple of years ago and they still wear them for play.

I really need to learn how to post pics....I have been somewhat successful but they come out really tiny. I need to try again.

Anyway, it was pretty easy. I made a sash from red material......a long 6" wide sewn up strait edge and turned inside out. They put it on their waist and tie it at the end. I made the same material into a bandana. Then I took a felt black material and cut a vest.....I only sewed the seams, not around the edges....it actually looked really cool after a wash....it didn't fray, but it looked kind of jagged, rustic.

I had them wear black pants and carry a sword.

One thing I did, that I realize many can't do (and you certainly don't need it) is I have a sewing machine that embroiders, so I embroidered some pirate things on their costumes.

Dawn

12. SaraMc

SaraMc DIS Veteran

I made one for DH after pirates 1 came out in theatres. It took me a while, but I found a pattern for a naval captian and went from there. I found some discounted red cordory and made the jacket out of that and then washed the material in dilouted brown dye to make it look dirty. I actually found a shirt at a store ( old navy I think) that was a women's blouse that had a neck that tied up with a leather string, bought it as big as possible for him and cut up the sleeves to loose the poofy look it had and make it look more like a pirate. The pattern had several types of pants but we went for the pants that go to your knee and I just used a brown cotton, very simple with an elastic waist.
    Now, we used three diffrent belts and a woman's scarf around his waist and he actually has a sword so we attached that.
    He wore a kilt to our wedding so he wore is kilt socks with his costume and we found some old shoes and we made them look more worn from a second hand store. He wore a wig and we added beads and bones to it with a headband like captian jack... some black eyeliner, brown eyeshadow all over to make him dirty looking.
    He also had a goatee at the time and he grew it a bit so we could add beads to it...

the hardest thing for me to sew was the jacket. I was ok till I got to the cuffs on the sleeves.
    It took a few weeks but it looked great.

Im looking for a photo, but that was before we went digital...

13. Nette

Nette DIS Veteran

Here's ours from 06. I just went to goodwill and found black floppy pants and white frilly shirts and accessories. Super cheap I think all three costumes were about $15

[​IMG]

Actually DH's "vest" was a button down suede-like shirt that I cut the sleeves off. :)

14. Plantlady

Plantlady <font color=darkorchid>I eat a lot of pringles whi

Here are my boys from a couple halloween's ago. I made these costumes.

[​IMG]

15. cpdrn7

cpdrn7 Mouseketeer

Oh, these are such good ideas...please keep them coming. I think I am going to the Salvation Army tomorrow and see what I can find. It is awesome for me to see the pictures! Thanks so much!!

16. IMALOVNDISNEY

IMALOVNDISNEY DIS Veteran

This is what we did as well. I went to Goodwill and Salvation Army on 1/2 off days and outfitted 9 people. Plus, add a few accessories from home or Walmart. The entire thing cost less than $25.00 for all of us. And I have to say we looked good. We got several comments at the MNSSHP.

17. princessmom29

princessmom29 DIS Veteran

I bought the petti under this at the disney store, got the tights and shoes at walmart, we had the tiara from Libby Lu, and I made the rest.
    [​IMG]

18. Debbie-TN

Debbie-TN DIS Veteran

This is my Captain Jack Sparrow costume from 2 years ago. I made every piece of it, even ordered dreds and added them to store bought wig. The only thing I didn't made was the compass, sword, and pistol. I even made the facial hair. I never had so much fun making and wearing a costume. It was a lot of work, but so worth it. It took a long time to figure out that it was me(see the real me in my avatar).

[​IMG]