Have you ever left early?

Not due to emergency, but by choice?

We are having a great time, we have 6 park days under our belt, with 3 more days in Florida, but... DD is really starting to lose it. She's only 5, with ASD, and while she has done phenomenal on this trip, I can tell she's nearing the end of her rope. We've been gone from home 11 days now, longer than ever before. And, we have a 3 day drive home when we leave here. I admit, that I'm considering pulling out early. In a way it makes me sad, but at least we've gotten a visit in to all the parks (three to MK!). And I feel like I'd rather leave now before she is completely shot, than pushing her for 3 more days and starting the drive home with her a wreck.

To add to it, I'm developing pain in my right leg, not sure if it's muscle or vein pain, but... I know by yesterday, walking around was really starting to get to me. It's not horrible pain, but a burning feeling, and I don't want to drive home 28 hours in misery.

Anyone else ever left vacation a bit early?

I haven't seen the other posts yet, but if your DD is on overload, then you know her limits. Pull the plug and head out if necessary. As for yourself, Disney is a big place. My DGF was just there a few weeks ago (with her family) and she went to DHS and said she did about 13 miles. So just imagine how much you walk in both sides of EPCOT, the MK, and then AK... there's a lot of abuse to your joints and it almost doesn't matter how "in shape" you are, it's still gonna beat you up pretty good. Back in Sept. DGF and I were down and she developed swollen ankles to the point that we had to slow our overall pace.

I haven't seen the other posts yet, but if your DD is on overload, then you know her limits. Pull the plug and head out if necessary. As for yourself, Disney is a big place. My DGF was just there a few weeks ago (with her family) and she went to DHS and said she did about 13 miles. So just imagine how much you walk in both sides of EPCOT, the MK, and then AK... there's a lot of abuse to your joints and it almost doesn't matter how "in shape" you are, it's still gonna beat you up pretty good. Back in Sept. DGF and I were down and she developed swollen ankles to the point that we had to slow our overall pace.

Yeah, my MIL's feet and ankles were swelling pretty bad. She couldn't even get her sandals on one morning.

Yeah, my MIL's feet and ankles were swelling pretty bad. She couldn't even get her sandals on one morning.

Yeah. She had on good sneakers and it still killed her lower legs/feet. She switched to athletic sandals (Reebok ones, not flip flops) and that helped somewhat, but she was still in a ton of pain.

The best "on site" cure was ice and elevation at night when we got back to the room. She's a Disney junkie though, so there was no way she was gonna miss out, lol.

Well we're going to stay till Sunday. We took the day off yesterday which helped. We went to AK today, but we're done. We're taking tomorrow to rest and pack an we're getting on the road early on Sunday morning. We're going to do shorter days on the drive home as well. My leg is definitely feeling better than it was. It twinged a couple times while I was at AK today, but nothing like it was Wednesday. Honestly, Wednesday was a HARD day, we spent a total of 10 hours in park, with a lot of standing, and then we were swimming on top of that. It more just has that sore, pulled muscle type feeling, and there doesn't seem to be any one consistent spot, almost more up and down along the calf/shin. I was almost wondering more about shin splints. There's no bruising, discoloration, redness, swelling, heat to the touch etc...

On a different note, I did wake up today with a sinus flare up, so here's hoping that calms down! I took my allergy pills, bought some Zicam, and can't wait to head out!

mshanson, I looked up shin splints and this is what the Mayo clinic says:
By Mayo Clinic Staff
The term "shin splints" refers to pain along the shinbone (tibia) — the large bone in the front of your lower leg. Shin splints are common in runners, dancers and military recruits. (I would compare what you have been through this week as similar)
Medically known as medial tibial stress syndrome, shin splints often occur in athletes(or moms in charge of taking a family to Disney) who have recently intensified or changed their training routines. The muscles, tendons and bone tissue become overworked by the increased activity.
Most cases of shin splints can be treated with rest, ice and other self-care measures. Wearing proper footwear and modifying your exercise routine can help prevent shin splints from recurring.
When I was in high school I suffered with them, and while not life threatening, it is significantly painful! Hopefully, you will continue to improve with rest. My husband is a runner and he swears by bananas for pain relief.

Thanks for giving us an update. Hope your day of rest and packing will go well tomorrow.
Safe travels!

mshanson, I looked up shin splints and this is what the Mayo clinic says:
By Mayo Clinic Staff
The term "shin splints" refers to pain along the shinbone (tibia) — the large bone in the front of your lower leg. Shin splints are common in runners, dancers and military recruits. (I would compare what you have been through this week as similar)
Medically known as medial tibial stress syndrome, shin splints often occur in athletes(or moms in charge of taking a family to Disney) who have recently intensified or changed their training routines. The muscles, tendons and bone tissue become overworked by the increased activity.
Most cases of shin splints can be treated with rest, ice and other self-care measures. Wearing proper footwear and modifying your exercise routine can help prevent shin splints from recurring.
When I was in high school I suffered with them, and while not life threatening, it is significantly painful! Hopefully, you will continue to improve with rest. My husband is a runner and he swears by bananas for pain relief.

Thanks for giving us an update. Hope your day of rest and packing will go well tomorrow.
Safe travels!

That certainly sounds like it, and would certainly fit the bill. See, when I was trying to get myself "in shape" for Disney... I worked myself up to walking 1-1.5 miles, oh.... every few days, LOL. Certainly not several miles every day. Oh.. and there was that sprint through the rain Wednesday night pushing the stroller through the thunderstorm, lol.

That certainly sounds like it, and would certainly fit the bill. See, when I was trying to get myself "in shape" for Disney... I worked myself up to walking 1-1.5 miles, oh.... every few days, LOL. Certainly not several miles every day. Oh.. and there was that sprint through the rain Wednesday night pushing the stroller through the thunderstorm, lol.
:crutches:
Yup, Bless your heart! You've done done too much. I had read that the average distance walked each day at Disney is between 8-12 miles.
Pushing a stroller at high speed and taking care of a family puts you up there in half-marathon range! Give yourself a pat on the back!

Well we're going to stay till Sunday. We took the day off yesterday which helped. We went to AK today, but we're done. We're taking tomorrow to rest and pack an we're getting on the road early on Sunday morning. We're going to do shorter days on the drive home as well. My leg is definitely feeling better than it was. It twinged a couple times while I was at AK today, but nothing like it was Wednesday. Honestly, Wednesday was a HARD day, we spent a total of 10 hours in park, with a lot of standing, and then we were swimming on top of that. It more just has that sore, pulled muscle type feeling, and there doesn't seem to be any one consistent spot, almost more up and down along the calf/shin. I was almost wondering more about shin splints. There's no bruising, discoloration, redness, swelling, heat to the touch etc...

On a different note, I did wake up today with a sinus flare up, so here's hoping that calms down! I took my allergy pills, bought some Zicam, and can't wait to head out!

Glad to hear taking the day off helped. It really can do a world of good.

Have a safe trip home!

We have never cut our trip short but our last trip we did have to modify plans. I was in a car accident a week before our trip. I was told by my doctors and PT to get out of town and take it easy. We did a day and a half and we ended up having to take a full day off at that point. In a million years, I could never imagine willingly taking a whole unplanned day off at Disney. I was mad at myself, but I was in way too much pain to really care. I took a lot of breaks during that trip and we spent a lot of time just laying around in the room. I got really frustrated and upset at times with my limitations, but we still had such a great time and I'm so glad we went because I needed to get away.

We have never cut our trip short but our last trip we did have to modify plans. I was in a car accident a week before our trip. I was told by my doctors and PT to get out of town and take it easy. We did a day and a half and we ended up having to take a full day off at that point. In a million years, I could never imagine willingly taking a whole unplanned day off at Disney. I was mad at myself, but I was in way too much pain to really care. I took a lot of breaks during that trip and we spent a lot of time just laying around in the room. I got really frustrated and upset at times with my limitations, but we still had such a great time and I'm so glad we went because I needed to get away.

I think most people (healthy or not) reach a burnout point in Disney. I don't mean burn out as in tired of the parks, but just plain tired. When we were there last fall, we kept going and going and the one night we weren't doing anything, we were back at the resort watching Tangled on one of the Disney channels and we missed most of the movie because we were just exhausted and fell asleep, lol.

I'm one that wants to squeeze every last thing I can do out of an expensive vacation, but sometimes, when you're not ready for it, the heat, humidity and intense amount of walking you do just wears you out faster than you could ever think.

I'm an ASD parent too and I feel your pain! My seven year old just can't do hours and hours at the parks. A few hours in and he is usually DONE. When we stay onsite, we usually go for a few hours then go back to the hotel during the busiest parts of the day, then go back in the evening with less heat and sometimes fewer crowds. That middle of the day break makes it possible for us. I'll admit that we are local (we like to do staycations because it's so easy), so we do have the ability to not be upset when we don't get to some rides because we know we can always come back so that does help our willingness to do less.

I hope everything works out for you!

I think most people (healthy or not) reach a burnout point in Disney. I don't mean burn out as in tired of the parks, but just plain tired.

I get surly by the end of the trip. Like, I no longer am able to tolerate rude or just oblivious people. The crowds start to make me angry. I guess I'm just "over it" at a point.

I left early once. At the time, I had a job that I hated, and my original plan was to get home late on Sunday. I decided that I'd feel better going home on Saturday, and having a buffer day before going back to work.

I get surly by the end of the trip. Like, I no longer am able to tolerate rude or just oblivious people. The crowds start to make me angry. I guess I'm just "over it" at a point.

My tolerance level is a little higher than my husband's. I can take about 5 days, he can really only handle 2. The older we get, the less he can handle a crowd. I used to think I could breeze through 10 day trips easily, not so much anymore.

I get that!

I've always wondered how the people who come over on their holiday from England can do 2-3 WEEKS at a time. Sure, they don't do parks every day, nor do they always stay just on property, but that's a long time in a high people traffic area. That's a lot of pool days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter