Have you avoided a ride at Disney, only to find out later that you love it?

Primeval Whirl is the first one that comes to mind.

Our trips in 2008 and 2010....skipped it. For many of the reasons the podcast team mentioned during last week's show. Looks like a carnival ride, definitely not Disney-esque.

In 2012, we were(I think) waiting for The Boneyard to open after park opening. We were just killing time and decided to give Primeval Whirl a try. I understand why people would NOT like it, but I was shocked at how much I loved it. We rode it three times in a row without even getting off the ride(it was January). Not sure I heard my kids laugh harder that entire trip.

By the time we went back in 2014, it was a must-do.

Splash Mountain and Thunder Mountain.

My first trip to Disney was for our honeymoon and one of the first rides I did with DH was Space Mountain and I was terrified. I wedged my legs and ankles against the sides of the vehicle and ended up hurting my ankles so I limped the rest of the week. After that, I refused to try Splash and Thunder.

After years and years and countless trips, I finally tried them and I loved them both. I even tried Space again, and although I managed to relax enough so I didn't hurt my ankles, I still hated that ride.

Yes - I avoided "It's tough To Be A Bug" for two vacations because I am spider phobic. I grew to absolutely love the show, and the spiders are way too cartoonish to be scared.

It's a small world. I skipped it for years, multiple trips. Finally did it this year because I've started to learn about and really appreciate the Sherman Brothers and Mary Blair. I absolutely fell in love with it. I rode it again the next day. It is a beautiful little ride.

Dinosaur!! I was more hesitant for my daughter, but as soon as I figured she was old enough, we tried it. She loved it. We loved Indiana Jones in Disneyland as well. Very fun.

Any of the roller coaster type. Splash Mountain was the first. Did not go on it on our first trip. The hill scared me. I did go on it on my second trip. I love it but still hate the hill. This time it was Space Mountain. I refused to ride it as a kid and the first 2 trips as an adult. I had an excuse not to ride. My daughter was too little. This trip I went on it. I didn't have the excuse any more. Still not my favorite but I would go on it again. I need to get a little bit braver because of my daughter. She feeds into my fears. If I say I will not ride neither will she.

Stitch's Great Escape. Not to say I necessarily love it now but I enjoy it. I used to avoid it because I was so mad that they got rid of Alien Encounter and I also used to hate Stitch. Having recently rewatched Lilo and Stitch I saw how adorable Stitch was (when he wasn't being annoying and tearing things up) and gave the attraction a try. I don't love it but there is usually no real wait for it so if I'm in the area I'll go on it and enjoy.

Soarin! I have a god aweful fear of heights so avoided it like the plague, finally went on and it is hands down my favourite ride, using it as my inspiration to try ToT next year.

I skipped Monsters Inc Laugh Floor. I wasn't really avoiding it but it always fell victim to other attractions as I was running out of time. I did finally see it this past trip and thought it was really well done.

Big Thunder and Tiki for me! Big Thunder because I'm a coaster-chicken by nature and thought this would be horrible for my sanity..but took a leap! So glad I did! Tiki I always avoided because I wasn't able to slow down yet and enjoy the smaller things...now I'm all about chilling and enjoying the magic and Tiki provides so much of it...and it's entertaining!

Mission:Space!

I was terrified I'm become sick beyond anything if I rode the intense side so I never even tried the gentle version. Then last summer I got suckered into riding the intense side and experienced zero motion sickness issues. And the tea cups kill me!

Now I love Mission:Space!

Agree , Mission Space . I was worried about motion sickness. Now one of my favorite rides. The take off is amazing!!

The Haunted Mansion. My mom wouldn't let me go on it for years, turns out because my sister was the scaredy cat! I LOVE that ride now!

Have there been any rides at the Disney parks that you were hesitant to go on but you ended up loving?
Not really a "ride". Mine is a particular attraction. I avoided this particular attraction because I thought it would just be silly, with music that I would hate. Went there recently with friends and just howled with laughter. This attraction is especially good when the crowd is "into it".

What is it? The Country Bears Jamboree!

Yes - for me it was Tower of Terror. I did not like the feeling of dropping on rides (though, technically, ToT pulls you down), and to me, ToT looked like something I would NOT like at all.

My roommate got me to ride on it several years ago. I didn't love it at first, but the more I rode it, the more I ended up liking it. And to this day, it is my favorite ride at WDW. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter