Has Matterhorn suddenly become the most uncomfortable ride at Disneyland?

barngro

Mouseketeer
Just returned from 4 days at the resort and although the weather was quite warm, we had a great time. My only complaint was about the the new sleds at the Matterhorn. They are the most freaking uncomfortable things I have ever ridden in! They have got to fire the person or persons responsible for the design of these vehicles as they might be fine for a plastic jug of water, but they are very uncomfortable for a normal human. I hope they kept the old sleds because these new ones are a joke! Just my opinion, but a guy in the sled right in front of me was rubbing his neck after the ride and he wasn't kidding. And that was on the Fantasyland side which used to be a little smoother than the Tommorowland side. Ouch!

Matterhorn just ain't the same. I agree the new sleds have made the ride less desirable.

I hate them. The new sleds are less comfortable and the ride seems slower and less fun than it used to be.

I agree. I liked it before but now not so much. I will still ride it with dd but now its something to get through not something to enjoy.

The old seats were bad enough besides the track being jerky. I had a feeling we wouldn't be bothering with it anymore.

I think even with comfortable seats I wouldn't love it. My favorite part was being held by DH or holding DD. Even if I'm riding on a pillow with tons of leg room - my favorite aspect of the ride is gone... Very sad

Umm ya, no fun anymore.

Like a pp said "I am not enjoying this at all" was pretty much how I felt while on it.

No thanks, which is really sad for me.

I feel the same way! It was "down" on our MM during our June trip, and I was soooo bummed. Well, the next morning we had EMH and about killed ourselves hurrying to get over there first thing and it was down again, but up and running fairly quickly. Score! Or, so I thought. While we were on it, I kept thinking "this is not very fun" and when we got off, I said "I can't believe this was our #1 must do at DL".

I won't be waiting to ride this again. :(

But! One thing I did love: We saw the climbers scaling the side of the Matterhorn, and I thought it was very neat indeed.:thumbsup2 It was fun to glance over there now and again and see the climbers.

I love it still! Yes I wish we had some cushions on the seats so it would be more comfortable, but I still love the ride and ride it every time I go :D.

My little sisters are very keen to ride this in September and my back is already thinking of excuses not to ride! :rotfl:

no I mentioned it in my trip report and I think the thread news and rumors that I started about things hurt my husbands back

With the rumor of Thunder Mountain closing for a year, the importance of the Matterhorn increases. This thread is a little disheartening.

...They are the most freaking uncomfortable things I have ever ridden in!

I couldn't agree more!!!

These new cars are a disaster! I have been an avid Matterhorn fan and rider since 1976. I've seen all the changes and all the other ride improvements and changes throughout the years. These new cars are pathetic.

There is not enough room in each individual seat. The first thing I noticed is that unless you are 4' 8", you are going to have your legs bent up because there is not enough room to stretch them out. That makes you all scrunched up to start with. Every adult I saw looked uncomfortable.

The hand holds for us "normal" adults are actually behind where you would normally place your hands. That cocks your arms back, which is also very uncomfortable and makes you not want to use the hand holds at all. So you wind up grabbing the "roll bar" of the seat in front of you, which is annoying to the person in front of you or (worse yet) you get your hands smashed as the person in front of you jostles around. No good!

But the worst is the roughness of this ride. I've always known and tolerated the rather abrupt way the Matterhorn throws you around. In the old cars, you had enough room to kind of move around and twist with the turns. That made the bumps less intense and also made the ride somewhat fun as you leaned and ducked with the turns and dips. But now the seats are so restrictive that you are at the mercy of the rough and torturous track. I tried to move to absorb the bumps but I wound up slamming my back against the hard back rest.

By the way, what idiot decided to make a rough roller coaster with a hard seat back??? That is a lawsuit waiting to happen!

After I rode the first time I lingered in the exit area for about 10 minutes watching everyone get off. I saw no - repeat NO - happy smiles at all!!! I did however see a lot of groans, and folks holding their sides and lower backs and looking disgustingly back at the vehicles. I didn't hear one person say, "Hey, that was great, let's do it again."

I rode a few times on different days to make sure it wasn't an isolated case or me beign in a bad mood. Nope. This ride now officially SUCKS!

Matterhorn used to be on my standard list of must do rides along with Space Mountain and Star Tours. No longer. This is off my list. I agree with most of the DISers here - this is just not a fun attraction anymore!

:worried: :worried: :worried: :worried: :worried: :worried: :worried: :worried: :worried:

Indy is a really rough ride for me, I usually feel sore afterwards and uncomfortably jostled during the ride. Does anyone else experience that and can compare with the Matterhorn?

This thread is making me sad! I'm going to DL for the first time next week and was excited to try the Matterhorn since it doesn't exist at WDW!

I can't deny the new seats make it a harder ride for most people , myself included. While I am short at 5'2 and about 270ish the first time I rode in the new cars it was bad for all of us in our party with the above complaints. With that said I do still love the ride , and the other times I rode I made sure to sit up and back in the seat and not slouch , which for me made it much more enjoyable. Not saying it's a perfect fix but it helped me enjoy one of my favorites again. I still think everyone should ride it at least once.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter