Has Epcot reached a new level of depressing?

I don't find EPCOT to be depressing in any way, it is my 2nd favorite park, coming in very closely behind Magic Kingdom. We can (and do) spend many hours just wandering the World Showcase, enjoying the food, beverages, shopping, and scenery.

That having been said, the park certainly could use some attention. I wouldn't mind seeing Universe of Energy re-imagined. Journey into Imagination needs some imagination put into it, and for the love of Mickey, reopen the upstairs. As much as I enjoy Captain EO, it is WELL past it's prime, time to do something new there, and make it really fit in with the rest of the Imagination Pavilion. Wonders of life needs to come back in some fashion, and it would be nice to see something done with the building that housed the Odyssey restaurant.

It would be bad to see an update on Spaceship Earth either, then, just because I am greedy, I would LOVE to see at least one new pavilion in the World Showcase, and maybe another ride or two there.

EPCOT is getting kinda stale. And I detest people that say they can explore all the countries. If you want to experience Mexico go to Mexico. And all the gift shops should just funnel into China as 99% of the crap they sell is made there anyway. You can get a better slice of culture and cuisine by visiting any major city.

EPCOT is getting kinda stale. And I detest people that say they can explore all the countries. If you want to experience Mexico go to Mexico. And all the gift shops should just funnel into China as 99% of the crap they sell is made there anyway. You can get a better slice of culture and cuisine by visiting any major city.

I don't think anyone is being delusional thinking they are actually in the real countries in Epcot or that it is a substitute for actually visiting the real country, if one wants to do that. I think people are well aware they are in a theme park, which is by definition, fake. But it doesn't mean people don't enjoy them for what they are?

I do agree about the gift shops. Not enough authentic merchandise but that's easily solved by not buying anything.

IMO what's depressing is when an attraction runs its course. Honey I Shrunk the Audience at one time had a long line. I remember the last time I saw it the room was pretty much empty, but did serve as a good place to cool off on a hot day. Although the line is still very long for Soarin' and I enjoy it, I'd really like to see a new film! Regardless of what comes and goes (I love change), EPCOT remains one of my favorite parks!

Although I loved Disney since I was a little kid, I didn't visit WDW until 2004. I still remember being at EP for my 1st-ever RD on my 1st-ever WDW day, and the stampede for...wait for it...Mission: Space. At that time M:S was the hot new attraction in EP, if not all of WDW.* There was even a walking rope line to the attraction, with a CM screaming, "Slow down! Everybody will get a chance to ride Mission: Space!" Nobody would believe it now.

As for EP generally, it's my 2nd favorite park after MK and DW's favorite park. We find there's enough to enjoy in FW until about 11:30-12:00, then we spend the rest of the day in WS. I wish they'd do more with Innoventions (although I love Sum of All Thrills) and I don't like what they did replacing Maelstrom with a Frozen attraction, but we find it far from depressing.

*--There was no Soarin at EP then, either. Its opening definitely affected EP traffic patterns. That and M:S quickly falling out of favor.

How I miss the Tapestry of Nations parade. Very fond memories.
I gotta admit, Illuminations isn't the same without that parade. They should make a new parade similar to this if Epcot reaches it's 40th or 50th Anniversary in the future. With surprise appearances of Disney characters who's film takes place in that certain country for each section.

I understand what the author is trying to say. While he knows that all parks must change with the times, the choices they've made have not been ideal. I do agree the post a little too negative but I also agree that Epcot's experience is defiantly not AS enjoyable as it was when I was younger and it's not just my nostalgia talking.... I just think most the changes and additions , not just in Epcot have been lack luster. Want to experience Soarin' at home? Stand on the couch while looking at a picture of the golden gate bridge. Want to experience Test Track? take a ride with your best friend on the highway. Even the 7 Dwarfs Mine Train and Little Mermaid. So much effort was put into the cue and the façade that the ride suffered greatly. I guess to some up my feelings, I think the era of actual Imagineering is over and putting out great looking short thrill rides is how they'll do business from now on. The last great ride made imo was Splash Mountain. It showed that Disney can take the simple concept of a log flume and turn it into something amazing. I hope that I am wrong. With the Star Wars expansion coming soon I hope they implement some really cool ideas and hopefully prove me wrong on my assumptions.

What this guy said!...I also find it a bit insulting to throw characters into World Showcase pavilions that were intended to provide authentic cultural experiences. I always wonder how the cultural interpreters feel about them.
Though I never had the experience of Body War, or the Wonders of Life Pavillion, any clips I've seen made it seem like a terrible loss! I like EPCoT, but for all the walking, it would be nice to have a great destination!

I have seen photos of the old WS buses: it would be wonderful if those could be brought back!...and the World Showcase Players! :sad1:

What this guy said!...I also find it a bit insulting to throw characters into World Showcase pavilions that were intended to provide authentic cultural experiences. I always wonder how the cultural interpreters feel about them.
Though I never had the experience of Body War, or the Wonders of Life Pavillion, any clips I've seen made it seem like a terrible loss! I like EPCoT, but for all the walking, it would be nice to have a great destination!

I have seen photos of the old WS buses: it would be wonderful if those could be brought back!...and the World Showcase Players! :sad1:
Norway most likely doesn't care. They've seen a huge increase in tourism since Frozen came out and since the whole point of the countries was to boost knowledge of cultures and possibly increase tourism it seems like a solid mix.

If they stuck Frozen in Germany I could get people getting upset but these stories have roots in the countries. I'd be all for them opening dark rides for every country featuring the characters borrows from their local stories/legends.

As for Wonders of Life Body Wars was extremely rough and may have caused more motion sickness issues than Mission Space. Cranium Command was probably the best part of the pavilion but it wasn't drawing a crowd. Compared to a building empty 8 months out of the year it was all awesome but anyone who remembers when those attractions were hanging on their last legs will tell the building was basically empty even when stuff was still operational.

I think we all tend to romanticize things sometimes and in cases like Journey Into Imagination we are probably right to do so. In other cases though it's just not the same. I remember loving Captain EO when it was new but watching it again as an adult made me laugh and my wife and friends who had never seen it haven't let me live down the oversell of it as all. As much as I dislike Tron Track now I'd still take it over World of Motion.

Norway most likely doesn't care. They've seen a huge increase in tourism since Frozen came out and since the whole point of the countries was to boost knowledge of cultures and possibly increase tourism it seems like a solid mix.

If they stuck Frozen in Germany I could get people getting upset but these stories have roots in the countries. I'd be all for them opening dark rides for every country featuring the characters borrows from their local stories/legends.
People in the tourism industry might be thrilled but not everyone. Plus I fail to see how Frozen teaches anything about culture.

People in the tourism industry might be thrilled but not everyone. Plus I fail to see how Frozen teaches anything about culture.
The tourism industry was the sole reason countries sponsor the lands at EPCOT. Ice harvesting, reindeer, monarchy, fjords, trolls, etc. are all part of Norwegian culture. You never know what's going to trigger a kid to look into something.

The problem with EPCOT is that it's just too limited. We've done the countries so many times that, other than (the use to be Maelstrom) and maybe the Mexico Pavilion, it's nothing more then a time killer. A large number of people skip the countries entirely. With that being the case, to us, Interventions is complete waste of time, as well as the old H.I.S.T.A./Capt. Weirdo Pavilion. Also why hasn't the old Body Wars Pavilion been replaced and Re-Opened? EPCOT is depressing.

Hmmm...
Well it does need quite a bit of updating to get the rest of my family to ever consider going back.
At this point if they were given free day passes they just wouldn't go.

I do enjoy my annual "Epcot Flower and Garden Festival" visit.
Hugs Mel

Yes, I think Epcot is depressing, and if you've been there anytime since 1982 there is no reason to go back, except for the Food and Wine festival. I am dying to go to that, but its the only reason I'd endure Epcot.

Not at all -- any time Epcot starts to get a little bit boring, I find a quick trip to any one of the countries in World Showcase can help cheer me right up.

Epcot, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways:
- Frozen Gran Marnier
- Frozen Grey Goose
- 40 different kinds of sake
- German beer
- Chinese beer
- Japanese beer
- Canadian beer
- (yes, even) American beer
- Mexican beer
- Margaritas
- Cava del Tequila
Sensing a trend?

Take any one of those rides, add an ounce and a half (maybe three ounces) of ethanol, and those experiences transform in weird and mysterious ways.

Even Eric Idle is funny after a few beers. Captain EO -- absolutely hilarious! Living with the Land is very amusing (but it's bad form to puke in the river).

Try it, maybe you'll like it.

I don't know who you are...but I kind of want to drink with you! lol

The problem with EPCOT is that it's just too limited. We've done the countries so many times that, other than (the use to be Maelstrom) and maybe the Mexico Pavilion, it's nothing more then a time killer. A large number of people skip the countries entirely. With that being the case, to us, Interventions is complete waste of time, as well as the old H.I.S.T.A./Capt. Weirdo Pavilion. Also why hasn't the old Body Wars Pavilion been replaced and Re-Opened? EPCOT is depressing.
How you feel about the countries is how I feel about HS and their shows. I always find something new in the WS countries that I didn't see last time or missed or didn't get a chance to see. We love Epcot, and always go during F&W festival.
I love museums and while I know I'm not actually visiting the country, I do learn something new everytime I'm at Epcot and love the structure of the buildings. I like to try a new food or drink from 3/4 countries every visit.
I may hate it, but I tried it :)

I miss HISTA. While I know it was blurry and outdated and needed to go, I did enjoy it (wish they could remaster it) but we need a real 3D replacement in EP.

We got back last week from Orlando and Siesta Key. This trip we only planned on a few Disney days and so we only had 3 and 4 day tickets (dh and I only and used points for our tickets). Epcot was always one of our go to parks. This trip we only used 2 of our park day tickets for a myriad of reasons and one of those days was for Epcot. Honestly we were a bit bored by the end of the day and it was alot of been there and done that. Then we realized that on a Disney focused trip we now wouldn't want more than 1 day at Epcot (if that) unless it was simply for dinner. We wont be doing Disney focused trips any longer but would still spend maybe a day or 2 at Disney and it is with this market that I think Disney is missing the boat. I cant imagine how many people would be willing to pay a reasonable amount to go to Epcot for the night simply for dining. We happened to have more tickets than we needed but if we're paying for them I am not paying full ticket price just to go for dinner. If they are not going to have new attractions then at least find a way to have reduced admission for dining only. I guess for those who have ap's or who wish to purchase longer tickets it is inexpensive but if one is only buying 1 or 2 day tickets for us Epcot is no longer worth it.
This isn't something that quite frankly I had ever noticed in the past since we always expected to spend more time at Disney but with our new plans where we'll spend much less time and much more at U we may end up with even less than we thought at Disney since as I said I cant justify the ticket price for little more than a meal (unless we're there during a special event ie F&G or F&W).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter