Has anyone NOT been able to overcome Sea-sickness?

barefootMom

Mouseketeer

Hi all,
I have read the thread on here with all the phenomenal suggestions/remedies for sea-sickness and am just wondering if anyone has NOT been able to conquer this if they or a family member has gotten seasick? I really want to book our first cruise but me and my 8 year old daughter both suffer from car-sickness very often and I have this fear that I will spend all this money and we will end up not being able to conquer it on the ship? OR are the ships just so big that it will eventually go away as long as we are using seabands or taking something? I am thinking I better try a 4 night cruise just in case? Although maybe a 7 night would give us a better chance to acclimate and enjoy if we had a rough start? Thoughts? Also, is there less of a chance on the 2 newer ships since they are even larger?

Barefoot- I understand your concern and I'm right there with you. My whole life I have always gotten TERRIBLY seasick on boats- so much so that even as huge Dis nuts, we had avoided DCL for years. Two years ago we decided we at least needed to try it.

We have now done two 4 night cruises on the Dream and are doing a 7 night cruise next May. The two cruises so far are the first time I have ever been on a boat and not gotten sick. I just take bonine AND ginger pills and they have worked wonders (I tried the patch years ago and found I got seasick and suffered from patch side-effects, so that's not an option for me). I think the combination of overmedicating and the size of the ships has (so far-knock on wood) been ok for me. We also go in April/May so I think the seas are a bit calmer.

That said, my wife usually does not feel great either on the night leaving or the night coming back as we pass through the currents around FLA. She usually just needs to lay down for a couple of hours but so far has not actually gotten sick. The rest of the trips she's been fine.

All I can say, as someone who has always had bad seasickness, is that in my experience, if you take some meds and go on one of the bigger ships, you should be ok- at least so much that it won't ruin your vacation.

By the way, your screen name isn't a Springsteen reference, is it?

I want to reassure you as well. I get motion sickness VERY easily. I started taking one Bonine a day the night before our cruise (I took them at night so I didn't feel sleepy--even though they are less drowsy, they can still have some effect). The first night at sea was very rough--the servers in the dining room were even having trouble getting to our tables without stumbling. I took an extra Bonine at that point just to be safe, and I was fine. The rest of the trip was smooth sailing. I talked to several people who did get sick the first night, but I didn't. If you are prepared, you can avoid the sickness, even if you normally have problems. Just don't wait to take something after you feel sick--it's much harder to control that way. We are leaving in two weeks for another cruise, and I plan to do the same thing. Can't wait to go back!

As the others have said, I think the key is to avoid getting seasick in the first place. It can be hard to recover from once it hits. I start taking Bonine the morning we fly down to FL and take one/day. I have never suffered any side effects, even with a couple of beers or cocktails.

My 9yo DD has issues with motion sickness as well. I have 4 children's Bonine left from our Feb cruise which I will give her, but I'm not sure what we're going to do when they run out!

Thank you everyone...So does it matter WHICH ship (newer vs older) or are they all big enough that it shouldn't matter between them? Also, is there a room placement area in the ship I would want to request?

Thank you everyone...So does it matter WHICH ship (newer vs older) or are they all big enough that it shouldn't matter between them? Also, is there a room placement area in the ship I would want to request?

Mid ship, lower deck, and if you can swing it, get a verandah. I completely agree with above posters on the Bonine and Ginger pills. I get seasick very easily, and use both, along with sleeping with Sea Bands on. I may sound crazy, but it is worth it all if it keeps me from getting sick!

barefootMom said:

I was worried about the same thing, in march I was on a carnival cruise and got seasick pretty bad the second day(first full day onboard) when I called Disney to book our jan 13 cruise the lady said lower deck midship seems to best the best for sickness. That you don't feel ship moving much there!:)

I too have pretty bad motion sickness. Have gone deep sea fishing once, when I was 13, and spent the day in the cabin with a/c. Took a short Bahamas cruise when I was 17, just after high school graduation, and didn't have any problems.
We went on a Disney cruise in Oct 2004, a 7-night Eastern on Magic. I wasn't too concerned, just because most said "the ship is so big, you really dont feel it move". Well, I got sick during dinner on the 1st night, and spent the rest of the night in the cabin. At some point, got some pills from Guest Services (bonine, I think) and was ok by next morning. Kept taking the pills, and I was fine the rest of the trip.
2nd Disney cruise in Oct 2008, 7-nt Western, also on Magic. I was prepared. Started taking bonine the night before, and continued through the trip. Never any issues, even with enjoying a few beers & cocktails.
We'll be on our 3rd DCL in March, this time on the Fantasy with 7-nt Eastern. I plan to go with bonine again, starting a night or 2 before embarkation.

So, don't fear. Just prepare and you should be fine. Hope you enjoy your vacation.

It took me many years to figure out that i need to start taking the Bonnie on Wed. Night for a Saturday Cruise. I get very seasick otherwise. I also contine to take the Bonnie 2 days after getting off of the ship to help with the swaying i always feel after the cruise. Works like a charm.

My daughters theory is to just get sick the first night and then she feels great the rest of the cruise :rotfl2:
It wasn't until about the 3rd night of the cruise that DH got really sick and then he felt fine for the rest of our recent 7-day. He said he wished he had listened to our daughter and not tried so hard to fight it or prevent it and would have gotten over it quicker.

Both of my girls get carsick very easily as well. We did as others have mentioned, starting taking Bonine the night before we flew to Florida (so 2 nights before the cruise) and once each day during the cruise, including the day we disembarked and flew home. My oldest DD felt sick one time the first day of our cruise, so she took an extra Bonine and was fine the rest of the time. None of the rest of us had problems during the cruise at all. The only time I had any issue was the day we came home, waiting for lunch in the airport. I had to get up and walk around. My son felt like he was still swaying that night after we flew home.
Beth

If all else fails, you can always go to the infirmary onboard. It will cost you, but I believe they can administer anti-seasickness medication as shots.

DH & I have been on two cruises, & neither one of us ever got sick. We don't get car-sick. I was a bit dizzy the last night of our most recent cruise (4 night), but we were skirting the edge of a hurricane. I was dizzy for days after we got off, but not unbearably so.

Our 3 kids are going on their first cruise w/ us in Feb. If they don't get car-sick (never have-not even slightly queazy-& we drive in the mountains all the time), can we expect things to go pretty well in this department?

Thanks for all the advice in this thread. We are doing our first cruise in 2014 and one of my fears is getting seasick and not being able to control it. And since this will be a graduation gift, I want to be able to enjoy it. I've been on research vessels that have made me sick the entire time so I'm hoping everyone's else's advice will help.

Does anybody know whether Bonine has an equivalent in the UK, as it doesn't appear to be sold as Bonine here.
Thanks so much.

DH & I have been on two cruises, & neither one of us ever got sick. We don't get car-sick. I was a bit dizzy the last night of our most recent cruise (4 night), but we were skirting the edge of a hurricane. I was dizzy for days after we got off, but not unbearably so.

Our 3 kids are going on their first cruise w/ us in Feb. If they don't get car-sick (never have-not even slightly queazy-& we drive in the mountains all the time), can we expect things to go pretty well in this department?
Bumping in hopes I can get some insight here.....

tinkerbell 766 said:
Does anybody know whether Bonine has an equivalent in the UK, as it doesn't appear to be sold as Bonine here.
Thanks so much.

Do you have non-drowsy Dramamine? They have the same active ingredient. Also, DCL offers Bonine in the medical center on ship free of charge.

The ingredient in Bonine is Meclazine. I believe 25mg is a standard dose, although the generic Meclazine I got is 12.5mg. (so we take 2 instead of 1)
HTH
Beth

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter