Has anyone gone a cruise pregnant?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by fairytalelover, Jan 12, 2013.

1. fairytalelover

fairytalelover DIS Veteran

Just wondering if it would be ok to go on a Disney cruise pregnant. Curious to hear about pregnant women's experiences.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. SuperDry

SuperDry DIS Veteran

I can't answer your question directly, but I suspect that quite a number of people have been pregnant when they got off their Disney cruise.

4. PrincessShmoo

PrincessShmoo DIS Veteran

Yes, many have.

Here is Disney's policy:

QuestionCan I sail if I am pregnant?
    AnswerWomen who have entered their 24th week of pregnancy as of their embarkation date will be refused passage due to safety concerns. Neither a physician's medical statement nor a waiver of liability will be accepted. In addition, Disney Cruise Line cannot be held responsible or liable for any complications relating to pregnancy at any stage.
    http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faqs/health-safety/pregnancy/

:cutie:

5. eemaxx

eemaxx Mouseketeer

Yes! I went on my first cruise when I was 5 months pregnant. It was a RCCL cruise on the Nordic Empress (which is something else these days). It was great! Of course I couldn't drink, but no issues what so ever. As long as you're not past the 24 weeks and have had a healthy pregnancy so far, I don't see any problem with it. Definitely run it past your ob/gyn though.

6. SnipsNSnails

SnipsNSnails DIS Veteran

I sailed at around 16 weeks with my first. I had no issues at all on the cruise. It was wonderful and relaxing. I had a touch of morning sickness too but I would have had that at home as well so I guess I'd choose the cruise!

7. melaniejh1016

melaniejh1016 Mouseketeer

I cruised celebrity century at 23 weeks. It was great! That was when the limit was 28 and not 24 weeks. I just stayed hydrated and out of the hot tubs and away from alcohol!

8. jjje

jjje One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to d

I read the title of this thread quickly and thought it said "Has anyone ever gotten a cruise pregnant?"

"I love Disney cruises so much I want to take them behind the middle school and get them pregnant!" - Tracy Jordan

9. Meghatron

Meghatron DIS Veteran

Cruised at 18w with no issues. Ate whatever I wanted, swam in the pool, napped when I felt like it, did low-intensity port adventures. Only downsides were that I couldn't enjoy the specialty alcohol drinks/tastings or the hot tubs.

Being my second pregnancy I was also showing pretty significantly, so we took advantage of the Shutters CD and had "maternity" pictures taken. While most of them could have been recreated on land had we not cruised, they also had me pose for the ones with Tinkerbell added later... she's sprinkling pixie dust on my baby belly. :D :D :D

10. Four Bears

Four Bears Mouseketeer

I cruised about 23 weeks pregnant. All cruise lines are very strict regarding gestational age of the pregnancy. Disney was actually the most liberal stating that women must be 24 weeks at the START of the cruise. The other cruise lines wouldn't let you on if you are 24 weeks at ANY POINT of the cruise.

I joked with my DH stating that I was lower risk than some of our traveling friends with mobility issues (falls) or those guest that imbibed too much, but in reality the issue is the age/viability of a fetus and the medical center's inability to care for a pregnant women/fetus after they hit a certain point.

I had no issues on the ship, obviously wasn't able to drink, but having to schelp around luggage, carry-ons, a stroller and a 21 month old on and off a plane was a lot for this former momma to be!

11. tvguy

tvguy Question anything the facts don't support.

DW was 26 weeks along, no issues. Cleared it with her Doctor. It was on RCCL, even checked with them. They had no restrictions, but this WAS back in 1986. Only thing we noticed was she got a wide berth on the dance floor.:rotfl2::banana::banana::banana::banana:

12. Conorama

Conorama Mouseketeer

I was 23w pregnant on HAL 5 years ago. I am not a big drinker even when not pregnant, so that wasn't an issue.

It was totally fine, except one day, when I was at a cooking class -we were told that we would be eating there, but the class was running REALLY late, so the food was delayed by a long time. (We also had to stand for a long time... this all added up.) I suddenly felt terrible, so I left and went back to our room; I knew that I just needed to eat (it felt like low blood sugar - it wasn't subtle), but it totally freaked out my husband because I looked awful. This had nothing to do with the cruise, of course, except that on land I made sure I always had snacks with me - it didn't occur to me on the cruise that this would be an issue (I mean, seriously - it's a CRUISE).

After that, I was not allowed to leave the room without a stash of granola bars and the like.

Otherwise, it was fine. I was extra careful about water on excursions, but that's just a good idea anyway.

13. maria-fan-22

maria-fan-22 DIS Veteran

Apparently DCL thinks so too…
    DCL Commercial - Little Souvenir pirate:

14. Bear3412

Bear3412 DIS Veteran

15. Sparrow78

Sparrow78 Mouseketeer

16. aanderson5

aanderson5 DIS Veteran

We went when I was 14 weeks. I had been suffering from pretty bad morning sickness that thankfully went away about a week before we sailed. I will caution you not to over do it. We had a great time till the last two days. I decided to always take the stairs to counterbalance all the food I was eating and ended up bleeding. At 14 weeks there was not really anything I could do but rest. I was very anxious till I was able to get an ultrasound when we got home. Everything was fine but it was very upsetting.

17. Zandersmom

Zandersmom time flies-now I'm Mom to a whole Z pack!

I was 5 months pregnant with twins on my first Disney cruise. Despite the fact that I looked way, way beyond 24 weeks pregnant, all of the CMs were very nice and no one questioned why I looked so gigantic.:woohoo: I felt great other than when I stood for too long or walked too far, though that was easy to plan around. Plenty of relaxing things to do!:3dglasses My biggest regret was paying for a couples massage. I thought that it would be a nice surprise for my husband, but unfortunately the two massage therapists were not educated in pregnancy massage at all. We were in this tiny room, and they kept me positioned on my back, needless to say, it was not what I hoped, though still worth a laugh with my DH. I'm a huge of fan of cruising with DCL pregnant or not. Pregnant, you can save money on drinks and have less guilt while eating for 2...or 3. Have fun!:thumbsup2

18. Meghatron

Meghatron DIS Veteran

I'm sorry that happened to you; my BFF bought us a couples' massage on our MR last year and I made sure the spa knew ahead of time that I was pregnant. They had a pregnancy-trained masseuse ready for me.

19. lilpooh108

lilpooh108 DIS Veteran

How funny. I completely forgot that I went on my Dream 2011 October cruise pregnant until I read this thread.

There was nothing special about being pregnant. They never asked for medical info, no one really noticed I was pregnant. I walked more carefully down the stairs, took elevators when I could (kids tend to run on the stairs and I didn't wanna fall down) and I took it really slow.

I definitely got my money's worth by eating waaaaaaay more than I normally can handle (that pregnancy appetite).

I was about 4-5 months pregnant I believe.

Also for Pirate's night, I got there early and pulled up a chair with my mom so that I could sit and watch the festivities and fireworks instead of crowding around and standing (risking ppl bumping into me, etc).

I cancelled my massage b/c although I noted on the reservation that I needed a pregnancy-trained masseuse, they were ambivalent about assigning me one. They told me at the reception that I just need to "remind" them at check in. No thanks. No risking wasting my own time or getting someone who wasn't trained.

Also skipped Aquaduck, for obvious reasons. That was a bummer. But I had done it before so wasn't too disappointed.

20. GBBTomorrow

GBBTomorrow DIS Veteran

Put me on that list. It was right when the "Mommy calls him our little souvenir" commercial was out.

21. joedfr

joedfr Earning My Ears

My one and only cruise was while I was about 16 weeks pregnant. The best part was that I didn't have to worry about sucking my stomach in after eating so much! Also saved money by not buying alcoholic drinks, although I did have a few of the non-alcoholic drinks of the day.

I used sea bands and brought along preggie pops to help with any potential sea sickness, but didn't really have any sickness while on board.

With two young kids with us, we went to bed pretty early each night (by 9pm), so we really took it easy. But I don't know if that would have been any different if I weren't pregnant!

Next cruise (April 20 from Galveston), no one is pregnant, so we are really looking forward to trying some of the night time activities.