Has anyone ever rented a car seat with a car?

Discussion in 'Disney for Families' started by msmama, Sep 8, 2012.

1. msmama

msmama DIS Veteran

My son and I are traveling soon (sadly not to Disney where this wouldn't be an issue with their transportation) and I will be renting a car.

My son is 4. At home he is in a Britax Frontier, but that sucker is WAAAAY to heavy to lug through an airport (and I can't install it by myself on the other end).

So...he's old enough (and plenty big enough) to be in a booster, so I could either buy (and lug) a cheap-ish or rent one with the car. My gut instinct, and the gut instinct of most people is that they are wary to use one from a rental place, BUT I've also heard that they take pretty great care of them because it's a huge liability issue, so...

Has anyone ever actually rented a carseat (or booster) with a rental car? How did it go? Would you do it again?

On the other hand, anyone have horror stories about doing it?

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. jillianjigs7

jillianjigs7 DVC Member

Yes - have done it many times in Florida! Just let them know what type of car seat you will need and they will make sure you have one. It's an extra charge.

4. jillianjigs7

jillianjigs7 DVC Member

PS: A few times we got the car seat, it was BRAND NEW! Literally watched them take it out of the box. So I've had nothing but good experiences renting a car and getting a car seat!

5. suncat73

suncat73 Mouseketeer

yes...rental car places should have this as an option to include when booking your car. We also had two brand new ones the last time we traveled and rented a car. It was an extra $12 a day for ours.

6. ElenaRN

ElenaRN Mouseketeer

Yes! I think we rented from National. I didn't see it come out of the box, but it looked practically new. I could tell it had just been cleaned.

7. Zobie

Zobie Mouseketeer

Same here, had to take the plastic wrap off and install it. Ours was a booster from Hertz and we were very pleased!

8. Mrs.Malone

Mrs.Malone DIS Veteran

I rented a booster and a car seat one time, at MCO. The booster was okay but the car seat was disgusting with hopelessly twisted straps. This was several years ago, though. Maybe things are typically better now. In your situation, I'd buy a Graco Turbobooster and take it along. If DS is over 40 lbs you could just get the backless one (around $20). It would be cheaper than renting and really these aren't too much trouble to assemble or take along.

9. Piglet99645

Piglet99645 DIS Veteran

I always found it crazy expensive. Maybe I am cheap. :). I have been known to take an old car seat along on vacation and abandon it on the way home.

That being said, I think the rental ones are perfectly fine and if the expense is not an issue, don't worry and just rent one.

10. justhat

justhat <font color=teal>DC DISer<br><font color=red>pick

We bought backless boosters for our kids when they hit 4 or 5 to bring on vacation. They were cheap, like $20 for a Graco Turbobooster on Amazon, and then we had them for future trips. Super easy to travel with (we have carried them on, gate checked, and outright checked them) and no worries about them running out or anything else.

The other thought was then we had them on hand for transporting friends' kids, as well as to send with our kids if they went home with a friend. Made it way easier than moving our Frontiers (I hear you on the size!!) and they were easy to just keep on hand.

If i thought i would never use one though, then I'd rent one for the trip. But so many instances where you need a spare booster that I'd just buy one.

11. dragonfly08

dragonfly08 DIS Veteran

I'd bring my own backless, just to be sure that it was 1) safe, and 2) available in the first place. A friend once reserved carseats for her kids and got to the rental agency to find out that a reservation was on a first-come-first-served basis and that they didn't actually have any seats available at the time! They waited a bit and her DH was just about to take the car to the closest Target or Walmart and buy one when fortunately someone returned a car with a seat in it so they got that one.

12. DISNEYWITHCHILDREN

DISNEYWITHCHILDREN Mouseketeer

My friend always rents with a car seat and has never had an issue.

13. kohlby

kohlby DIS Veteran

Will someone be sitting in the back with your child? Most 4 year olds aren't mature enough for a booster so I'd strongly recommend having someone back there with him or renting a 5-point harness. Though 40 lbs is the minimum weight, weight isn't the only point to consider. Many kids aren't ready for boosters due to maturity until closer to 6.

I've considered renting but the cost is crazy high. Also, I worry about the prior people mistreating them but not telling the rental company. For the cost of a rental, there could be a lighterweight 5-point harness option. I know the Scenerna (Which I totally spelled wrong) is highly recommended as a lighter seat for airplanes but my kids have huge torso's so we weren't able to go that route.

14. Nanu57v

Nanu57v <font color=darkorchid>Someone needs to tell the T

I'd rather buy a new cheap carseat/booster than rent, because then at least you'd get resale/ extra seat. If he's under 40lbs, there's a seat at WM for only $40. If not, I'd go with the booster.

15. merina888

merina888 Mouseketeer

I haven't tried this out, but I've heard that if you join some of the rental clubs memberships, sometimes you can get a car seat for nothing. I think I read it on Mousesavers. I don't think the memberships cost anything. :)

16. mb5417

mb5417 Earning My Ears

My wife just found out that Babies R Us in Orlando rents car seats, strollers and boosters at a very good rate (much cheaper than the car rental places). I think a booster is $12.00 a week (and a couple dollars each additional day) and the car seats started at $35 per week. We are going to rent a car, and rent seats through Babies R Us. I will drive the rental, and my kids will take the magical express to the hotel, where the seats will be delivered.

I have no knowledge of the conditions of the seats, but you pick from a list online, so you can read reviews, check safety ratings, etc.

17. sbeaulieu

sbeaulieu Mouseketeer

You said you can't install your carseat by yourself? I know you said you would be renting a booster, but if you decide to rent a full 5-pt harness seat and you can't even install your own carseat then you could run into problems. I have the same car seat as you and it is pretty easy to move from car to car.

The one time we rented car seats it was an infant seat and a regular car seat for a 2yo. We got to the rental place after dark, the seats were new but we were not familiar with how to install them...plus the shoulder strap settings were totally incorrect for both seats (example...we had a 2 month old and the straps were set for an obviously bigger infant tallest) and we had to figure out how to redo the straps in the dark. The kids were a wreck and we were frustrated.

18. Crystal824

Crystal824 DIS Veteran

We rented from Hertz. I was less than impressed with our car seat. It was kind of dirty and one of the cheaper seats. We use a Brittax at home and I could tell a big difference. I will probably bring my own seat in the future.

19. firstwdw

firstwdw DIS Veteran

We rented a booster in Disney at their car care center this spring. It was gross and banged up. It was just for a quick day trip but the gum stuck to the side grossed me out. We also have a britax at home. You can get a nice graco one for reasonable to take if you will be using the car a lot. I was shocked at how gross the one at Disney was.

20. luvmy2babies

luvmy2babies DIS Veteran

I have. I was traveling alone with my daughter (a few years ago) and we flew to an airport where you have to take a shuttle from baggage claim/terminal to the car rental counter and back. I knew I could not handle all of our things plus a car seat, so I added it to our rental. It was a very nice seat, taken out of the box when we got there actually.

21. Dizisfun

Dizisfun Mouseketeer

We requested car seat rental when we rented the car.