Has anyone ever been upgraded

As a DVC member, no. Will never expect it either. I will book the room type I want.

My parents have though. First trip as DVC members they ever took. They booked a Lake View at BLT (where they own). They were given a Magic Kingdom View. No reason was given as why this was done. When they told them it was a mistake they were told it wasn't. Near the end of the trip my mom told my dad she never wanted to stay in anything at BLT other than a MK view so they needed to buy more points. They did and now my dad thinks it is a Disney Conspiracy.
It is! Seriously, Marriott tends to avoid upgrades for this very reason, people tend to buy less expensive options if they think they might get upgraded.

A couple of years ago we were given a 2 bedroom instead of a 1 bedroom at OKW. We checked in around 10:30 and went to the pool. I checked in a couple of times because we didn't get a room assignment. Around 4:30 they sent a golf cart with our luggage over to the pool to pick us up and delivered us to a 2 bedroom. I believe there was an issue with our original assigned room that they could not resolve so they had to reassign.
In March at BWV we were given a Garden view rather than SV. I noticed a whole new (additional) resv on my MDE account for the GV room, which completely freaked me out (2 resv showing up for the same time). I called DVC and they said it was something the resort did for accounting purposes but had no impact on my points.

We had the same view upgrade at BWV this past spring. We stayed Pool/Garden view the trip before and got full-on Bush View. Completely blocked our view off the balcony to the point that we considered hanging little pictures of the sun and the sky on the bush. In May, we booked Standard expecting parking lot and got upgraded to Pool/Garden view for no apparent reason, though it must have been due to the refurb going on. We too and two reservations showing and no point discrepancy. The irony of booking Preferred and getting Bush View, and then booking Standard and getting full DHS Star Wars Fireworks View was not lost on us.

Right after our OKW purchase was final in 2010, our guide asked what we wanted to book for our first DVC stay. I jokingly said "a two bedroom at Beachclub in October!" (which was 5 months away) She said "Done." Seriously?! Well, OK....we'll take it.

After we checked in, I stopped to say Hi to the lovely Hostess who posts on the BC thread... I'm sorry, I can't recall her name. :(

She mentioned that there was a DVC family checking in that day they had to "bounce" because the villas were overbooked. Which she said never happens. I sheepishly explained how I got my booking and she laughed and said that explained everything.

She said the family would be happy because they were moved to a bank of rooms on concierge level. I felt relieved, but looking back I realize it was a gamble. Some families would call it an upgrade, but some wouldn't. I can only hope they were happy campers.

Last edited:

Yes, twice. Yes, I do play the lottery but haven't won lol. Still consider myself very lucky with the upgrades.

1) 4 or 5 years ago (would have to check notes)
upgraded @ BCV from studio to 1 BR. We flew in late after cruise from San Juan, didn't arrive to resort until 8 pm. I'm thinking they 'gave' our initial room away thinking we were a no-show

2) Early May this year.
Checked in before 11 am. CM commented upon DH's BD, then said we were upgraded from value studio. Happy to receive the larger, standard studio with pool view. Were offered option to upgrade via points to 1 BR, which we declined. This was week of Mother's Day, checking in for a Tues - Saturday stay.

Twice, in only three DVC stays. Once from standard to savannah view at AKL, and the second from a studio to a 1-BR at Boardwalk. :wizard:

Several years back we had a two-bedroom at the Kidani Village at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. For one night they upgraded us to Grand Villa. We had had some serious problems earlier in our stay.

Yes, we were once upgraded from a studio to a one-bedroom at SSR. Nothng to do with us; another guest wanted/needed our specific room for an unspecified reason. SSR was a fairly new resort at the time.

Last year we were indeed bumped from our OKW one-bedroom reservation (our home resort). There were "mechanical" issues and the resort was fully booked. The manager was extremely nice and we were re-booked at BLT (we had our choice of a couple of resorts with availability) into a fantastic one-bedroom unit with a gorgeous MK view. They also gave us a monetary credit. So, it happens. I was upset at the time - I really enjoy my time at OKW - but they did an excellent job of making it a positive situation.
That sounds lovely to me right about now.

I cannot believe the number of times that people went to their rooms to find that the previous occupants' things were not yet removed! ... or worse, the previous occupants were still there!

Once on Christmas eve, we had reserved a studio at Grand Floridian. We were actually staying at our daughter's apartment but we thought we needed a room so we could get to mass on Christmas at the Contemporary. We were upgraded to a one bedroom. It was a nice surprise, probably just done since we were only staying one night.

We have never been upgraded (in our approx 10 stays at the Grand Californian) and when we have asked about a particular floor/room view right after making the reservation they have said it was noted on our reservation but it doesn't seem that it has made any difference. While the front desk has been very friendly in general it seems that with a full resort they can't or don't need to make any extra effort to give something for free.
It is good to see from others' stories that when there was an issue or no room available that some cast members were willing to give a credit or do an upgrade.

Yes, twice.

The first time was years ago - maybe 2004? not DVC. Arrived late to the Poly after delayed flights and were moved from a standard room to club level. This was when some rooms were still smoking rooms, and at check in they were very careful about confirming the reason for our nonsmoking request (chronic asthma). I suspect the upgrade was because there were no other nonsmoking rooms left by that late hour. It was awesome.

Second time was in 2013 at BLT. Booked a standard view dedicated two bedroom and ended up in a high floor lake view. (Points were not charged - having read stories here I was careful about checking!).

We did not request the upgrade either time. And no one actually told us we had received an upgrade either time (which was actually pretty funny when we got to the club level building at Poly and had no idea how to get in).

A couple of years ago at AKV, when we rented points (didn't have enough points, and didn't want to borrow) for one night prior to a week long stay. We were booked in a savanna view studio at Kidani, and got upgraded to a one bedroom savanna view at Kidani. They didn't even mention the upgrade at the desk...we just got our room number, went to the room, opened the door, and we were standing in a 1br. We were surprised, to say the least.

Like I said, it was just a one night reservation, and quite honestly, I think chances of an upgrade are better for one night stays than any other length....due to orphaned nights at resorts here and there.

We've been upgraded several times.

Once at HHI, we weren't staying DVC at that point (but it's a DVC resort), went from a one room to a two room. Of course there was only two of us, so, it wasn't necessary.

Once at SSR when they gave our studio away. We settled for a one room.

Again not a DVC stay, but, once we were camping at FtW and they decided to dig up our site. We settled for a cabin. It was worth it too.

Back at HHI, this past April, we just asked if they could upgrade us to a one room. It was done in a trice! No argument, just Disney Magic in action.

You'll never no unless you ask! All they can do is say "no".

Several years back we had a two-bedroom at the Kidani Village at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. For one night they upgraded us to Grand Villa. We had had some serious problems earlier in our stay.

We were offered an upgrade to the Grand Villa at SSR once, but it was at the cost of my health as our 2 bedroom was so mildewy it was like a wall of stench as you stepped 2 feet into the front door. Because DH let the person having the problems make the decision, I said "no, I just want what we booked", and we moved to another 2 bedroom the next day. (and yes, the decision to stay put that night was also made by me, but in fairness to me, mildew and offgassing from new furniture/paint/carpet/flooring causes me to go out of my mind entirely, and the rule in our family is now that I do NOT get to make those decisions any longer)

I have never been upgraded. I have rented points for a reservation (a 1 bedroom BWV boardwalk view) that was downgraded to a garden view. There were maintenance issues with the room. I was never notified of the change nor refunded points. When the renters notified me, I told them as such. I happened to be visiting WDW at the same time they were travelling, so I offered to come over to Boardwalk. Ends up DVC gave them free dining for the length of their stay. I was never refunded any points (nor was I expecting it, as they belonged to the renter), but the renter was happy with the downgrade and compensation. I would have been too. To bad I didn't reserve a Boardwalk View.

I have never been upgraded. I have rented points for a reservation (a 1 bedroom BWV boardwalk view) that was downgraded to a garden view. There were maintenance issues with the room. I was never notified of the change nor refunded points. When the renters notified me, I told them as such. I happened to be visiting WDW at the same time they were travelling, so I offered to come over to Boardwalk. Ends up DVC gave them free dining for the length of their stay. I was never refunded any points (nor was I expecting it, as they belonged to the renter), but the renter was happy with the downgrade and compensation. I would have been too. To bad I didn't reserve a Boardwalk View.

A Boardwalk view and garden/pool view are the same number of points. The Boardwalk view is just a view choice that they allow you to book. It was nice that they were compensated for not getting their booking category.

My upgrade history:
1. Once cause of over booking at VWL:
Booked a studio at VWL, when we tried to check-in, we had been upgraded to a WL 2 bedroom lake view suite. Called some family members to come and join us for an unexpected vacation.
2. Once cause of problem with check-in at AKL:
Booked a standard view studio at AKL-Jambo, checked-in, given a room key as the room was supposed to be ready, went to the room, and found suitcases and purse in the room along with the room not being made up. Went back to the front desk, they gave us an on-the-spot upgrade to a savanna view room in another part of the resort plus four free breakfasts.
3. DCL
Reserved an inside stateroom on DVC points but were upgraded to an ocean view room. We did not find out about the upgrade until we got to the room, what a surprise that was. When our luggage arrived it still had the old room number's tags on them.
4. AKL-Jambo
Booked a standard view room at 5 days out due to a last minute change in home plans. Given a Savanna View room.

Wow, the magic is strong with you...

Members since 2000 with 1-2 trips per year with never an upgrade. We did have a strange situation last summer at VGF though. We had done early check in and received a text about 1pm that our studio villa was ready. We went to the room and it was very warm. After a few minutes we realize the AC wasn't working. I went down to the front desk to be told that a work order had been put in and a repair person should be there shortly. To make a long story short, we did not have working air until after 5pm. I asked several times for us to be moved to a different studio, but they said "no can do." They did give us a $200 credit plus 3 anytime fast passes for our trouble. The strange thing was that the original maintenance log was put into the computer at 10:30am by housekeeping (the front desk attendant actually showed me the screen). The mistake was in texting us that the room was ready.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter