Has anyone bought carpeting from Home Depot or Lowe's? Your opinions???

pat fan

Sad my tag won't fit :(
We really need new carpet in our living room (we should have done it a couple years ago!) and I know they are cheaper than a regular carpet store, but how's the quality? Of the carpet? The installation?

Any opinions would be great! Thanks!

We had new carpet put in back in October from Home Depot, and I was very happy with all of it!

thanks! Do you remember which brand it was? Or any other info about it?

OT
Look..a Packer fan and a Patriot fan having a conversation! ;) So how do you feel about Favre?

I'm considering carpet at HD or Lowes too. If you do end up using them, you can usually get a 10% off coupon through Lowes moving site. I've heard that the coupons will also be honored at HD, but I've never actually tried it. Another possible way to help with the costs is to order discounted gift cards through www.plasticjungle.com or a similar site.

Used them a few years back...have no idea what carpet it was. My living room is 15x25. Huge problem w/installation...they sent one guy to install carpet. My husband was the one who stayed home that day, thankfully, cuz he was the one who helped the installer bring it into the house via my window. If I had been home he would have been out of luck. He left a mess when he was done. Honestly, I don't think they did that good of a job around the edges, thankfully most of it is blocked w/furniture.

If you do a google search you'll find people who were happy and people who were very unhappy. I think a lot depends on who they subcontract with. One thing to make sure to do is to get the best available pad. That can make a big difference.

We found it was less expensive to go through a smaller local guy than it was going through either HD or Lowes.

We got carpeting for our whole house about 9 years ago with the Home Depot Floor Store. We had a great experience. Aside from needing some serious cleaning almost ten years later, it still looks good. I got a berber...but now I'm wishing for some wood floors--so much lower maintenance and allergy friendly...:)

I don't remember what brand it was. We had it installed in our bedroom and (very large!) family room. Total bill was right about $1700. It is a cross between a berber and a plush (some low fibers, some high fibers). It is super soft, and the pad they used was wonderful. We had to remove the old carpet, which wasn't an issue for us. They had two installers come to the house, and it was done in one day. We did have one issue, about a month ago, where it looked like the seam was separating. They sent the installers out and they fixed it, can't even tell where it was anymore.

Oh, and pat fan....let the Vi-queens have Favre and all the drama!

We bought carpet from Home Depot a couple of years ago right before we sold our house. It was nice carpeting, Stain Master, I believe, and a really nice pad. It was relatively inexpensive because we got it during a free installation promotion, so you might want to watch for one of those.

We only had 2 complaints - stairs cost like $12 per step to carpet - that stinks. AND - we had already recarpeted our bedroom (with the same carpet), so when the installers did the threshhold between the hall and the bedroom, they put down a metal strip to connect the two rooms!!! It was hideous!! My husband apparently lost his marbles and ok'd it, but when I got home shortly after they left, I called them right back to fix it. They fixed it, but were irritated. Who wants a giant metal strip between two rooms with the exact same carpet?!?! Anyhow - I would just caution you (no matter where you get the carpet from) to keep an eye on the installation to make sure everything looks just how you want it to. :goodvibes

Have you gotten quotes from the local carpet places yet? We used to have a rental property so we replaced a lot of carpet & it was always cheaper to go local. We used HD twice & both times were a nightmare. I do agree it was the subcontracting - didn't show up, showed up with the wrong carpet, damaged my walls bringing it in, didn't finish, left unfinished seams, etc. Ordering was easy at HD but then dealing with the actual subcontractors was terrible. They never called back or addressed problems or took responsibility for anything.

Bought Mohawk carpeting from Home Depot several years ago for a large great room and a formal dining room. Installation was quick and done well. They had measured properly for the fireplace and everything fit great.

We just installed about 9 months ago - went everywhere - Carpet Mill Outlet, etc. and still found the best quality/deal at Home Depot. We went with one of the special price deals displayed at the front of the dept. Basically they order these carpets by the tons, and can offer better pricing.

It is sooo plush, and we love it. Now the big gamble with HD is who they send to install. We were lucky and had two guys who did a great job. Newly painted walls and baseboards weren't damaged.

We're just in the initial phase of knowing we need to bite the bullet, so I will get prices from a local company as well as HD. I didn't know they sub-contracted the intstallation part, I just thought they did it. Good to know.

Thanks everyone!

We got new carpeting from HD last year for 2 bedrooms and family room and stairway. Loving it. We go the "green" carpet - made out of recycled plastic and it is the softest thing ever. It doesn't stain either.

We really need new carpet in our living room (we should have done it a couple years ago!) and I know they are cheaper than a regular carpet store, but how's the quality? Of the carpet? The installation?

Any opinions would be great! Thanks!

Hi pat fan- In full disclosure I should let you know up front that I am a former PT Home Depot employee (7yrs) who spent 4 years in the flooring department.

The carpet at HD and LOWES is the same, but they have the manufacturers call them by different names. Compare the weight, materials, etc....

Keep in mind that the way they sell the carpet is also different. Home depot sells their carpet by the square yard (9 sqft) where LOWES sells by the linear foot (12 sqft) In most cases the price per sqft is cheaper at LOWES, but Home Depot will match that price and beat it by 10% per their price matching policy.

Both HD and LOWES have regular special for installation. I think HD is running a whole house for $39.00 special right now, which is a great deal considering their usual installation charge is $5.49sqyd.

Another cost saving tip is to open a HD or LOWES credit card and get 10% off the purchase in combination with 12 months no payments/no interest. However you'll want to pay the entire balance off in 12 months or they'll hit you with the 29.99% interest....

Do not skimp on padding. Pay the extra and get the upgraded 8lb.

If you're going to have the carpet installed there are ways to save $$$. Remember that carpets generally come in 3 lengths 12, 13.5, and 15 feet. (In store is 12' only) If you are special ordering the carpet make sure the associate provides quotes for each width especially if you're trying to avoid seams.

You can also save some $$ by removing and disposing of the old carpet yourself.

Hi pat fan- In full disclosure I should let you know up front that I am a former PT Home Depot employee (7yrs) who spent 4 years in the flooring department.

The carpet at HD and LOWES is the same, but they have the manufacturers call them by different names. Compare the weight, materials, etc....

Keep in mind that the way they sell the carpet is also different. Home depot sells their carpet by the square yard (9 sqft) where LOWES sells by the linear foot (12 sqft) In most cases the price per sqft is cheaper at LOWES, but Home Depot will match that price and beat it by 10% per their price matching policy.

Both HD and LOWES have regular special for installation. I think HD is running a whole house for $39.00 special right now, which is a great deal considering their usual installation charge is $5.49sqyd.

Another cost saving tip is to open a HD or LOWES credit card and get 10% off the purchase in combination with 12 months no payments/no interest. However you'll want to pay the entire balance off in 12 months or they'll hit you with the 29.99% interest....

Do not skimp on padding. Pay the extra and get the upgraded 8lb.

If you're going to have the carpet installed there are ways to save $$$. Remember that carpets generally come in 3 lengths 12, 13.5, and 15 feet. (In store is 12' only) If you are special ordering the carpet make sure the associate provides quotes for each width especially if you're trying to avoid seams.

You can also save some $$ by removing and disposing of the old carpet yourself.
Thanks for all the great tips!!

We got new carpeting from HD last year for 2 bedrooms and family room and stairway. Loving it. We go the "green" carpet - made out of recycled plastic and it is the softest thing ever. It doesn't stain either.
I don't know if I've looked at that, but I think I will have to!

If you have a Costco membership, check there, too. We had our new carpet installed by them and were very happy with the carpet, service and price.

I don't know about carpet, but I had a horrible experience with kitchen countertop installation from Home Depot: They didn't much want to take my order, and then I had the devil of a time getting them to come out to measure . . . then again trouble to get them to schedule an installation day -- it took me more than a month to get it arranged, when it should've taken a few days. When the installer (who was the same person who'd come out to measure my kitchen) came to put the countertops in . . . he said the product wasn't appropriate for my kitchen!

I got my money back, but I would never, ever, ever buy anything from Home Depot that needs installation. The customer service just isn't there.

Home Depot, carpet, and me. This may turn into a book. Sorry.

Ten years ago we decided to buy from HD. The carpet came in 2 widths, we went with the 15' as to get fewer seams. About a half hour after the installer was there, I commented that I didn't think they had enough carpet.
"Ma'am, we know what we're doing." OK then.
A hour later, the installer says to me, "apparently HD ordered the 12' and not the 15', we don't have enough carpet. Alrighty then.
Two weeks later.
We were VERY specific on where the seam in our living room should be, it was diagramed out. The installers do their thing, I'm outside, come in - the seam is on the opposite side of where it should be.
Two weeks later.
The carpet we picked was a berber and had a pattern.
The carpet is laid, seam is correct. The pattern does not line up. Not even close.
Two weeks later, carpet is in, we are very satisfied and have been since.
HD was very good about giving us discount after discount for our troubles.

Fast forward to last fall. HD has Beaulieu Winning Streak II East. Seems like very good carpet, so we order it. 66 yards.

April of this year we notice a traffic pattern, we contact HD. They tell us in order for the carpets warranty to be validated a professional must clean it within 2 years of purchase. What the hay? No one ever told us that! Good thing we're inside our 2 years. $100 later for the cleaning we are getting new carpet, they called us a couple days ago to come out. BTW, we did upgrade the padding.

Yeah yeah I know, why did I go back to HD. In a word - price. And when we were shopping it was like childbirth - seemed painful at the time but over the years you forget. And do it again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter