Happy in Hawaii –- Aulani & Oahu with a Toddler ~ Updated 7/20: Final Update and link to new TR!

Ha, we were lucky it was early in the trip, so the time change made it feel halfway decent.

Wow really?!
They are really strict about what you bring to the memorial. Though, that family with a giant bag of stuff seemed to do okay, but I'm guessing they couldn't have brought it on the boat? :confused3 I had read a bunch of reviews about how diaper bags weren't allowed and such, so it just intimidated me to think of managing all of that with Izzy.

This is a very great idea! A tip I need to remember in case we can get here.
I was so glad we split up and traded off. Worked great! I think having done that actually has made us more comfortable doing a lot of split/solo time late in the evenings on our upcoming WDW trip. Having that "parental time off" to just focus on what YOU want to is very liberating. :thumbsup2

At first I thought that was a Coors Light can and thought, wow she's really gearing up for today! :rotfl2:
:lmao: Nah, you wouldn't catch me with that (not a beer drinker here, sorry :blush:).

You mean two toddlers yes?!;)
I think you are on to something here... :rotfl2:

Ugh, cringe. They have no idea. I'm sure in 20 years, if they could look back at this moment they said that outloud, they would cringe too.
Personally, I hope they felt that way by the time the movie ended. But who knows. I didn't notice them again.

Great composition, huh? :lmao:

I would LOVE to visit Pearl Harbor one day! Something DH and I would both enjoy thoroughly.
If you end up making that anniversary trip to Hawaii, definitely make the time to visit. That said, we don't feel any need to go back again next time, but it's well worth at least one day.

Pearl Harbor – Part 3

It was only 10:13am as Izzy and I made our way into the outdoor equipment display area. We’d accomplished a lot already that day! :thumbsup2

Izzy saw some things ahead that she thought we should go towards:

Also, you can see on that picture the extent of things I brought in with us. The diet coke, the milk (in thermos), and my wallet (for those that also follow my current WDW TR – this was how I accidentally left it while on the safari – just sitting on that console :eek: ).

Izzy was pointing at this:

The USS Bowfin submarine. It’s extra admission to board it, so we chose to just view it from the outside. ::yes:: Still pretty neat to see. Izzy admired it:

We wandered a bit more and came across a playground…uh, I mean, periscope. Honestly, it was total toddler playground. Izzy loved this:

I mean, ladders to climb, wheels to turn, buttons to push…what’s not to love? :confused3 Other toddlers came through while we were in there too. The only thing Izzy didn’t like was that I wouldn’t let her go up the down ladder (on the right). I didn’t want her blocking the other kids, as we were all going through the same way. She was a bit upset with me after that. :mad: Here’s the ladders:

Meanwhile, Dug was on the boat headed for the AZ Memorial:

While he enjoyed the views from the water, Izzy was working on her firing skills :rotfl2::

It was actually really hard to take those pics, because I didn’t want to be far from her, as that would have been a nasty fall on all that equipment. :eek: It’s meant to be climbed on, but probably by people more steady than 2-year-olds. Izzy also had fun ordering me around. On and off the platforms and seats, over and over. I let her boss me around for awhile. I mean, I’d just had all that alone time, so why not? :rotfl:

And back to Dug briefly (love how our pictures are interspersed by time taken):

Oh, hey, here’s where Izzy was ordering me to climb up on the platform with her:

And Dug made it here:

This picture shows you where the memorial falls over the ship:

Up next: You guessed it, more Pearl Harbor. And more teenage shenanigans. :sad2:

Pearl Harbor – Part 4

While Dug was at the Arizona Memorial, Izzy and I were relaxing in the shade here:

I hate to tell you that I encountered another group of teenagers that were being wildly inappropriate. :headache: All I will say is: you see that missile? How do you suppose immature teen boys take pictures of their friends posed with it? :eek: :sad2: They were running around laughing hysterically doing this with many of the missiles along the walkways. With plenty of families and young kids around. I don’t know what was up with the visitors that day! :confused3

Dug was in a much more subdued place:

I wandered over to the food area with Izzy and was surprised to see Pick a Pearl:

So, if Epcot/Japan doesn’t work out for you to pick your pearl, just come to Pearl Harbor instead. Not even a line! :rotfl2:

Meanwhile, Dug was still taking pictures that probably look mildly familiar from me having taken pictures in the same location:

I like that you can see how everyone in the background is peering down into the water in these viewing areas. Gives you a good idea of what it’s like to be there.

Back at the food area, I was getting Izzy some lunch. She loves hot dogs (pretty sure because Mickey sings about them on Disney Junior :rotfl2:), so I got her a very large one for $3:

It was extremely hot for quite awhile, so I held it until it cooled down enough for her to eat. I took a bite to check the temp and it was very tasty. :thumbsup2 I parked Izzy in the shade (it was fairly hot out now) and she devoured the whole hot dog. And made me eat the bun. Because, toddlers. I have to admit that I was happy she ate something solid, as she was just addicted to food pouches on this trip, wanting them at every meal (just recently, she seems to have lost interest in them, though).

Dug was still at the memorial taking pictures:

He also sat in the back of the boat upon departure, per my advice:

I had a decent sense of when his boat would be returning and made my way over to the dock when I saw one approaching:

I was right – it was his. He was the last one off, so it took awhile to know for sure. At any rate, he was also fascinated by seeing his Papa’s (mom’s dad’s) last name on the wall and the bench, so he called up his Papa right there:

I don’t think Papa knew if they were any relation, but I guess he did serve in the war and was in Hawaii at some point (sorry, I don’t know all the details). So that was interesting and Dug got to thank him for his service, as it was just a couple days before Veteran's Day. It was a really nice phone call and Papa really appreciated hearing from us. He tried to talk to Izzy too, but she wasn’t feeling too chatty. She was getting tired.

After the call, Dug and I walked around the outdoor areas:

And Izzy fell asleep in the stroller. Naptime!

Here’s what Oahu looks like:

As we were walking around, I remember texting back and forth with @AprilRenee to help with her WDW plans. :goodvibes

Dug still needed to see the museums, so I chose to just walk around with him, get out of the sun, and see some things again. The models of the ships were impressive:

Izzy was quite comfortable:

Such a good little museum-goer! :lmao:

Up next: Just a bit more Pearl Harbor and then conveyor belt sushi!

Great updates. I loved seeing the memorial pictures again (this time Doug's) and sharing in all of Izzy's fun - minus the "adorable" teenagers. :rotfl2: It's great that there was so much for you to do in the museum area while Doug was off exploring the memorial.

Very cool that Dough saw Papa's name there. ::yes::

The areas you found with Izzy look really great - and it didn't seem like you were really waiting around too much which is nice. A $3 hot dog is perfect for lunch - Aria loves them too! Interesting to hear izzy has recently stopping loving those pouches, I think that's about the time Aria did the same. We have some applesauce ones but that is about all we buy now. Not as convenient but we just carry other snacks and now she likes to get kids meals (or we share plates, depending on what we order) so it's not that bad. Dug took some really nice photos as well!

The teenagers, ugh. I have never liked how kids act so differently when put with a group of other kids vs their families. Even when I was a teenager I thought that was incredibly annoying (boys and girls, they do different things but still its this annoying group effect). But I'm also one for solo or one-on-one time so I guess it was always foreign to me anyway. But glad Izzy was young enough to not notice how crass they were being!

Perfect little stroller napper! hehe all these Disney trips really pays off on other trips too!

Cool update - definitely liked how you interspersed your pictures with Dug's so we can see what you got done and when while he was doing his tour. Thanks also for posting the picture of the sign that shows the positioning of the memorial to the actual boat ... like, I knew it was "over" the boat but I wasn't sure exactly.

Sounds like you had fun with Izzy (or, perhaps should be worded she had fun with you) - and how nice of them to put a toddler play area out! :rotfl2:

Gotta love teenage boys - very annoying to see how much they were negatively impacting other guests at a pretty solemn/serious place. I mean, I was a teenage boy at one point so I kinda get it - but there is a time and place

Great updates! Just think, her bossy skills will translate to management material one day.

It’s extra admission to board it, so we chose to just view it from the outside.

We made the same decision, for the same reason. :rotfl2:

We wandered a bit more and came across a playground…uh, I mean, periscope.

That playground is awesome! I wish I'd seen it. Then I could have--uh, I mean, the kids could have hung out there for a while.

While he enjoyed the views from the water, Izzy was working on her firing skills :rotfl2::

Best. Playground. Ever.:thumbsup2

How do you suppose immature teen boys take pictures of their friends posed with it?

Good to see all of our visitors continuing to show the proper respect at a memorial.:sad2:

It seems like you and Izzy had a fun afternoon! Glad she found a place to explore.

Dug's pictures of the memorial are great as well.

Teenage boys. I have no idea what happens when they get together. Why would that be appropriate in public, at a somber memorial, in front of young children...any and all of the above.

And now I'm intrigued by the conveyor belt sushi...

With the exception of the heathens during your visit, sounds like you had a great split experience at Pearl Harbor!

Oh that pic with Izzy and the gun is priceless! I almost spit out my cup of tea-she is so cute and you are tooo funny having her sit there!

I stumbled across this trip report and now am binge reading to try to catch up! Loving it so far!

Izzy was so well behaved for your flights! How long was the total flying time? I'm impressed that between toys and movies she was happy for that long. I struggle to keep Luke happy through church! :rotfl2:

I just read the part about the hot dog song in your report. So when you said you had been there in response to my trip report you weren't kidding!!

We wandered a bit more and came across a playground…uh, I mean, periscope. Honestly, it was total toddler playground. Izzy loved this:

IMG_0960_zpsa00e6a13.jpg

Very cool, I bet she loved that. What kid wouldn't?

All I will say is: you see that missile? How do you suppose immature teen boys take pictures of their friends posed with it?

Of course they were :sad2: With no parents to be found anywhere I bet.

I parked Izzy in the shade (it was fairly hot out now) and she devoured the whole hot dog. And made me eat the bun. Because, toddlers.

:rotfl2::rotfl: Love your answer! "Because, toddlers.":lmao:

(just recently, she seems to have lost interest in them, though).

Mine too :sad: Guess this means they're growing up.

I don’t think Papa knew if they were any relation, but I guess he did serve in the war and was in Hawaii at some point (sorry, I don’t know all the details). So that was interesting and Dug got to thank him for his service, as it was just a couple days before Veteran's Day. It was a really nice phone call and Papa really appreciated hearing from us.

Aw that was really nice!

Umm you can TAG now on dis?? I HAVE been gone a long time! Lol

Not caught up but I read this one :)

And yay! I'm in your TR! :thumbsup2

This trip report is AWESOME! I have been trying to find a good trip report and have found several, KATMARK and CourtneyBElle, but yours has had AWESOME elaboration and can not wait to read more!

Great updates. I loved seeing the memorial pictures again (this time Doug's) and sharing in all of Izzy's fun - minus the "adorable" teenagers. :rotfl2: It's great that there was so much for you to do in the museum area while Doug was off exploring the memorial.
Thanks! Can't believe those teens. :sad2: There was so much to see on the grounds there - worked out great! :thumbsup2

Very cool that Dough saw Papa's name there. ::yes::
It was really cool and I'm glad it inspired him to call Papa! :goodvibes

The areas you found with Izzy look really great - and it didn't seem like you were really waiting around too much which is nice. A $3 hot dog is perfect for lunch - Aria loves them too! Interesting to hear izzy has recently stopping loving those pouches, I think that's about the time Aria did the same. We have some applesauce ones but that is about all we buy now. Not as convenient but we just carry other snacks and now she likes to get kids meals (or we share plates, depending on what we order) so it's not that bad. Dug took some really nice photos as well!
Those "play" areas worked out perfect and the time went by fast. And the hot dog was perfect. Yeah, Izzy rarely wants a pouch these days, which is funny since she was SO obsessed with them back on this trip. I've just been getting her kids meals now too.

The teenagers, ugh. I have never liked how kids act so differently when put with a group of other kids vs their families. Even when I was a teenager I thought that was incredibly annoying (boys and girls, they do different things but still its this annoying group effect). But I'm also one for solo or one-on-one time so I guess it was always foreign to me anyway. But glad Izzy was young enough to not notice how crass they were being!
I agree about the teen groups - so glad that (most) adults don't act that way. And I'm the same way about solo and one-on-one time vs. groups. Very glad that Izzy was too young to notice what was going on.

Perfect little stroller napper! hehe all these Disney trips really pays off on other trips too!
I wish that held true on this last Disney trip. :headache: She was not fond of her stroller this time. :sad2:

Cool update - definitely liked how you interspersed your pictures with Dug's so we can see what you got done and when while he was doing his tour. Thanks also for posting the picture of the sign that shows the positioning of the memorial to the actual boat ... like, I knew it was "over" the boat but I wasn't sure exactly.
You are welcome. I like that the timestamps on our photos put them together like that - I'm having fun with that on our recent trip too - seeing what Dug was doing when we were apart. And, yeah, I found the signs at the memorial to be really helpful to visualize things.

Sounds like you had fun with Izzy (or, perhaps should be worded she had fun with you) - and how nice of them to put a toddler play area out! :rotfl2:
We had a blast on the "toddler play area"! :thumbsup2

Gotta love teenage boys - very annoying to see how much they were negatively impacting other guests at a pretty solemn/serious place. I mean, I was a teenage boy at one point so I kinda get it - but there is a time and place
Just not what you want to see in a family place, especially one that can be a very somber place for some visitors.

Great updates! Just think, her bossy skills will translate to management material one day.
Haha, we'll see. She's really good at telling us what to do, that's for sure! :rotfl2:

We made the same decision, for the same reason. :rotfl2:
I'd say it worked out well for both of us! :thumbsup2

That playground is awesome! I wish I'd seen it. Then I could have--uh, I mean, the kids could have hung out there for a while.
It was great! I didn't notice it until Izzy and I started wandering past the missiles and then there was all that fun stuff! :cool1:

Best. Playground. Ever.:thumbsup2
For sure! :rotfl:

Good to see all of our visitors continuing to show the proper respect at a memorial.:sad2:
Indeed! ::yes:: :eek:

It seems like you and Izzy had a fun afternoon! Glad she found a place to explore.
It was fun and worked out really well!

Dug's pictures of the memorial are great as well.
Thanks, he's the real photo talent in our family. I'm just happy if I get a clear shot of the subject in my pictures. :rotfl:

Teenage boys. I have no idea what happens when they get together. Why would that be appropriate in public, at a somber memorial, in front of young children...any and all of the above.
I know. Just so surprised to see that going on there. :eek:

And now I'm intrigued by the conveyor belt sushi...
Coming up whenever I get around to do doing another update!

With the exception of the heathens during your visit, sounds like you had a great split experience at Pearl Harbor!
We really did! I'm glad we approached it the way we did - worked out well for us all!

Oh that pic with Izzy and the gun is priceless! I almost spit out my cup of tea-she is so cute and you are tooo funny having her sit there!
Haha, thanks, I couldn't resist. But was terrified that she'd topple down while I was taking the pic. :scared:

I stumbled across this trip report and now am binge reading to try to catch up! Loving it so far!
Glad you're here! Since it's been so neglected, should make it easier to catch up! :rotfl:

Izzy was so well behaved for your flights! How long was the total flying time? I'm impressed that between toys and movies she was happy for that long. I struggle to keep Luke happy through church! :rotfl2:
It was about 10 hours total, I think. About 4 hours and 6 hours. The movies REALLY held her attention - better than I ever would have guessed. :thumbsup2

I just read the part about the hot dog song in your report. So when you said you had been there in response to my trip report you weren't kidding!!
Hot dog, hot dog, hot diggity dog... :rotfl: Yep, definitely relate! :goodvibes

Very cool, I bet she loved that. What kid wouldn't?
It was really fun and rather unexpected.

Of course they were :sad2: With no parents to be found anywhere I bet.
Exactly - I have no idea where the parents were. :confused3

:rotfl2::rotfl: Love your answer! "Because, toddlers.":lmao:
Works for lots of things! :thumbsup2

Mine too :sad: Guess this means they're growing up.
These silly kids trying to grow up so fast! :faint: Interesting that Calvin's on the same page on this.

Aw that was really nice!
It was a really nice call.

Umm you can TAG now on dis?? I HAVE been gone a long time! Lol
Yes, isn't it fun?! :rotfl: You need to come back and follow my numerous reports! :rotfl2:

Not caught up but I read this one :)
Yay! :cool1:

And yay! I'm in your TR! :thumbsup2
Woo hoo! :woohoo:

This trip report is AWESOME! I have been trying to find a good trip report and have found several, KATMARK and CourtneyBElle, but yours has had AWESOME elaboration and can not wait to read more!
:welcome: and thank you! There are a lot of great reports out there! If you're looking for Hawaii in particular, I loved Captain_Oblivious' report (you can find link in his signature a few posts up) - lots of details and fun to read! :thumbsup2

Just wanted to let you all know that, despite my long absence, I will get this report going again soon! I'm actually super excited to get some updates out! :cool1: As you know, if you follow my other travels, we just returned from a Disney Land & Sea and things have been crazy. :faint: I need to finish making my notes on that trip and get that TR started, but I'll be doing both concurrently, so stay tuned! :goodvibes

I am so far behind in keeping up with my DIS reading! I am now update on this report loved the boat ride and your pictures of pearl harbor and the Arizona memorial.

I just found and read the entire thread! We are going next May... No toddlers, but we will have 4 kids, so I'm loving the details! Can't wait to read about the rest of the trip!

I am so far behind in keeping up with my DIS reading! I am now update on this report loved the boat ride and your pictures of pearl harbor and the Arizona memorial.
Glad you caught up! Just in time for me to start (slowly) updating again! It was so beautiful out there on the water - hard not to take nice pictures.

I just found and read the entire thread! We are going next May... No toddlers, but we will have 4 kids, so I'm loving the details! Can't wait to read about the rest of the trip!
:welcome: Thanks for reading! Aulani is a great place for kids, so I'm sure yours will have a blast. And the whole island is beautiful. Hope you have a wonderful trip! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!