Happy Hour: The Original Magic Hour

Anyone know how crowded the Carthay Circle Lounge is just before the park is closing? We were hoping to grab a drink there after WOC in July. Does it stay open later than the park? What's a good strategy? Last time we were there it was pure chaos trying to get a table in the lounge in the late afternoon.

We went in the middle of the afternoon in may ...probably mid week and there was hardly anybody in the place. One other table maybe until close to the end of our appy hour. DH DD10 and myself had one of every roll on the menu. DH had a Caesar and a flight of whiskeys while I had a couple of gin and tonics.

DH enjoyed the long Island iced t at Cove and I had a mojito or 2 along with the lobster nachos.

Anyone know how crowded the Carthay Circle Lounge is just before the park is closing? We were hoping to grab a drink there after WOC in July. Does it stay open later than the park? What's a good strategy? Last time we were there it was pure chaos trying to get a table in the lounge in the late afternoon.

My experience last July was that the Carthay Lounge Bar was not open after WOC. They had last call at 9pm. I thought that was nuts! We had to rush to drink a Manhattan (very delicious nonetheless) when we ordered it about 8:45pm (my husband and I had gone in to sit for a leisurely drink - too bad for us). It is a bar for goodness sake and DCA stays open well after 9pm so I am just mystified that they would close so early. If you want a nice drink after WOC I would try the Hearthstone Lounge inside the GCH.

My experience last July was that the Carthay Lounge Bar was not open after WOC. They had last call at 9pm. I thought that was nuts! We had to rush to drink a Manhattan (very delicious nonetheless) when we ordered it about 8:45pm (my husband and I had gone in to sit for a leisurely drink - too bad for us). It is a bar for goodness sake and DCA stays open well after 9pm so I am just mystified that they would close so early. If you want a nice drink after WOC I would try the Hearthstone Lounge inside the GCH.
Crazy! But good to know...sounds like GCH is our best bet.

May I say how much I appreciate this thread. I know it's sometimes looked down upon by some but I do enjoy the chance to sample the adult beverages around DCA and DTD. Drinking responsibly while being on vacation is a nice partnership making disney an all ages affair for us.... making some of the busier times more palatable . We love DCA because we can walk around, grab a beer and hop on a ride all in the disney 'bubble'.

If you like Caesars, Ralph Brennans has a nice 'bloody mary'menu for their Sunday Brunch. I can look for a menu copy or you can try googling it up. You can pick the alcohol, mix, garnishes etc. Great fun.

May I say how much I appreciate this thread. I know it's sometimes looked down upon by some but I do enjoy the chance to sample the adult beverages around DCA and DTD. Drinking responsibly while being on vacation is a nice partnership making disney an all ages affair for us.... making some of the busier times more palatable . We love DCA because we can walk around, grab a beer and hop on a ride all in the disney 'bubble'.

If you like Caesars, Ralph Brennans has a nice 'bloody mary'menu for their Sunday Brunch. I can look for a menu copy or you can try googling it up. You can pick the alcohol, mix, garnishes etc. Great fun.
Couldn't agree more. Responsible drinking is one of adult life's simple pleasures and Disney obviously gets that or they wouldn't have opened their bars or dedicated so much care to the cocktail menus (especially at Carthay Circle). Only once have I seen anyone at DCA I thought looked intoxicated. The vast majority of us aren't stupid enough to shell out the money for a few day park hopper only to spend all of our time sitting in a bar.

Great thread idea! My husband and I enjoy having a cocktail or two together during our Disney vacations, it is the only time one of us isn't playing the designated driver since we can walk to the hotel. I love a lot of the previous recommendations but I think our favorite place for drinks and small plates was one we found totally by a mishap - our reservation for lunch at a different place was cancelled by a fire alarm and we ended up walking up to a very empty Uva Bar. I absolutely love their Tuna Tartare "Tacos" and calamari, and our server had recommended the Corn Arepas which turned out to be very good! My husband likes the beers on tap, we both enjoy the maestro margarita, and I had a very good seasonal fruit mojito in September which was light and refreshing for an outdoor lunch spot on a hot day.

I'm wondering if any of you know if they make a Lava Flow at any of the bars/restaurants? It is my mom's favorite drink and we know you can get one at WDW but have not seen any menus or gotten any search results confirming if you can get one at DCA/DTD. I'd love to surprise her and have a drink and a snack/meal at a place serving Lava Flows when we do her big birthday trip in December.

I'm grateful for this thread as well. Part of every good vacation for me is enjoying the food and drink options I can't get while I'm at home. I'm a 31 year old adult woman with no kids and the only person I have to look after when I'm at the DLR is myself. So if I want to sip a beer while enjoying a parade or while walking around the park I'm going to! As much as I love DL, it's one of the things that really enhances my time at DCA.

Great thread idea! My husband and I enjoy having a cocktail or two together during our Disney vacations, it is the only time one of us isn't playing the designated driver since we can walk to the hotel. I love a lot of the previous recommendations but I think our favorite place for drinks and small plates was one we found totally by a mishap - our reservation for lunch at a different place was cancelled by a fire alarm and we ended up walking up to a very empty Uva Bar. I absolutely love their Tuna Tartare "Tacos" and calamari, and our server had recommended the Corn Arepas which turned out to be very good! My husband likes the beers on tap, we both enjoy the maestro margarita, and I had a very good seasonal fruit mojito in September which was light and refreshing for an outdoor lunch spot on a hot day.

I'm wondering if any of you know if they make a Lava Flow at any of the bars/restaurants? It is my mom's favorite drink and we know you can get one at WDW but have not seen any menus or gotten any search results confirming if you can get one at DCA/DTD. I'd love to surprise her and have a drink and a snack/meal at a place serving Lava Flows when we do her big birthday trip in December.
I'm thinking they'd have to have a lava flow at Trader Sam's but I could be wrong. It would definitely fit there! Still haven't been to Uva Bar. We need to check that place out :-)

They are offering some special 60th Anniversary cocktails at the Carthay Circle Lounge. I would love to see a picture of the diamond shaped ice if anyone is enjoying one of these in the coming weeks:

Carthay Diamond Martini (60th Anniversary Cocktail)
Classically prepared with Hendrick's Gin or Double Cross Vodka, Lillet Blanc Dry Vermouth, and Gourmet Truffle Olives served with a Diamond shaped Ice and made from locally sourced Purified Water

Carthay Diamond Manhattan (60th Anniversary Cocktail)
Bulleit Rye Small Batch American Whiskey, Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth, Angostura Bitters, and Luxardo Gourmet Maraschino Cherries served with a Diamond shaped Ice, made from locally sourced Purified Water

They are offering some special 60th Anniversary cocktails at the Carthay Circle Lounge. I would love to see a picture of the diamond shaped ice if anyone is enjoying one of these in the coming weeks:

Carthay Diamond Martini (60th Anniversary Cocktail)
Classically prepared with Hendrick's Gin or Double Cross Vodka, Lillet Blanc Dry Vermouth, and Gourmet Truffle Olives served with a Diamond shaped Ice and made from locally sourced Purified Water

Carthay Diamond Manhattan (60th Anniversary Cocktail)
Bulleit Rye Small Batch American Whiskey, Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth, Angostura Bitters, and Luxardo Gourmet Maraschino Cherries served with a Diamond shaped Ice, made from locally sourced Purified Water
Yes, pictures please!

Just found this video series on some of the Disney Resorts more popular cocktails. I'm already salivating. Enjoy!

Cathay Circle Tequila Daisy

Cove Bar's Coconut Elixir

Carthay Circle Wildberry Lemonade

Trader Sam's Shipwreck on the Rocks

Cove Bar's Fun Wheel

I love all of the above and I'm keen to try the secret drinks at Cove Bar!
My favorite happy hour is in our hotel room! We pack fixings for at least 2 types of cocktails, usually vodka plus homemade Bloody Mary mix and key lime margarita mix (for vodka limeade!) I also pack cups and straws and garnishes -- and beer! Bailey's in winter. We have quite a system!

oh my! Those are great videos. I will have to try and re-create some of those at home.

That Manhattan though....I'm not even sure if I like rye whiskey...but I may have to try that. It's just so fancy!!

I love all of the above and I'm keen to try the secret drinks at Cove Bar!
My favorite happy hour is in our hotel room! We pack fixings for at least 2 types of cocktails, usually vodka plus homemade Bloody Mary mix and key lime margarita mix (for vodka limeade!) I also pack cups and straws and garnishes -- and beer! Bailey's in winter. We have quite a system!
I like the way you think!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter