Happily Ever After Begins Here -- An Oct. 2012 TR Updated! 11/17!

Discussion in 'Disney Trip Reports' started by Missyrose, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Missyrose

Missyrose DIS Veteran

October is a great time to visit the World! The temps are cooler than summer but still warm enough to swim. The crowds are pretty good. It's gotten more crowded every year in the past three Octobers. Disney has gotten pretty good at generating interest in the slow times each year. Between the Halloween parties and the ever-expanding Food and Wine Festival (our favorite!), October has become a popular time to go. But just remember that kids are still in school so it'n nowhere near as crowded as holidays or summer.

We do tend to be rope drop people and I'm a planner (even on laid-back trips), so I tend to pick days based on the crowd calendar.

As far as renting points, it's a great option that will save you far more money than any Disney discount. There's just a couple of things of things to remember when renting points.

1) DVC resorts book much further out than the regular resorts. Owners can book their home resorts at 11 months out and can book any of the other DVC resorts at seven months out. So owners began booking for October trips in November.

2)Renting points is typically a final transaction, no refunds. So make sure your plans are very firm!

As far as taking a trip on rented points, you won't get daily housekeeping. But a split stay works the same as it does at the regular Disney resorts. Disney will move your bags for you if you take them to bell services. We opted to just hop in a cab with our bags and drive straight from BCV to AKL.

If you need any help with navigating the point-rental process, let me know. I know a couple of DVC members who rent points!

Thank you! And thanks for reading along!

Your park days sound great, I'm sending you a message right after I do all these responses!

We're going to have quite the girls trip planned. ;) I totally agree on the boat air conditioning.

I sooooo want to try WPE too! Maybe on this trip. Maybe we can convince Franklin to try the tuna on this trip (since he's the seafood lover, after all).

Here's my deep, dark secret (that might get me kicked off the Dis for even admitting it), I happen to like Star Tours better than Toy Story Mania. Don't get me wrong, I like TSM. But I am happier on a day riding ST multiple times and TSM just once or twice.

Yes! You should totally try CHH, you will love it!

Franklin will be along shortly to answer your questions about his editing process.

Yes! People who go to Disney once or twice in their lives tend to think that Disney is all about the bright, colorful and crowded. But those of us that really get to know Disney World know that these quiet, out of the way spots are what really make for fun times in the park. :thumbsup2

We love, love, love Boardwalk. But we can still enjoy the things we love about BW even when staying across the lake. Since we're going to need some laid-back pool time after the wedding, we're leaning toward wanting SAB available to us. We really enjoyed bobbing along the lazy river and we didn't find the pool as chaotic and kid-filled as others have described.

As far as BC vs. YC, there are a couple of things pushing us toward YC. We really like having a balcony, so that's guaranteed at YC. And it's the only resort of the three Epcot resorts that don't have a DVC building, so we'll get to stay at the other two far more than we'll ever get to stay at YC.

What do you think?

I feel the same way about Boma, I'm not a buffet girl, but Boma is totally worth it!

I've never been to 2 Amy's, but I've had their pizza at a charity event I went to. It is SOOOOOOO good!

Yes! You got the middle name!

Characterpalooza was so much fun. It's a total whirlwind, but so much fun. The best part was I checked so many of the villains off my list that day, it left us tons of time to do other things at the Halloween party later in the trip! :lmao:

Casey's is great! I just always wish they find a way to add more seating inside, especially so you can watch the clips!

I cannot wait to try BOG. I even rejiggered our January plans so we could head to MK on the first day SPECIFICALLY to try BOG for lunch. I just don't want to wait anymore!

This has been a really fun countdown to put together, lots of fun trips down memory lane about some really fabulous meals.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. left210

left210 DIS Veteran

Thanks for the reply. Yes I would be interested in renting points. Do you know how much per point your friends rent for? You can PM me if you would like. Also, I wonder if the reason it has gotten more crowded in the last few years in October is because alot of schools are now going to a balanced calendar and many schools are getting 1-2 weeks off in October now at least in our area. That is the only reason we can now go in October.

4. Pixel Dust

Pixel Dust It's a trap!

The first step is actually in taking the photo. I shoot in RAW format, not JPG. The RAW file is the original data your camera "sees". When a camera makes a JPG file it actually compresses the RAW data, then deletes the rest. You have greater range with the RAW file so you can do things like, bringing detail into the sky or clouds, or brightening the darker areas while retaining detail.

Most DSLR will shoot in RAW, some RAW and JPG at the same time. Most small point-and-shoots will not have RAW capabilities.

Shooting RAW means you will need software to read it. I am using Adobe Lightroom 4. This is meant for professional use. However, the core of it is fairly easy to understand. Most people use it for basic color correction and exposure compensation. And there are other advanced tools to take it to the next level too. It has a great workflow, if you need to edit a lot of photos at once. It usually runs about $150, which isn't bad considering the last version was $300. There have been sales during the holidays for around $75, but those were short lived. You can also just download it and do the 30 day free trial to get to know it.

Lightroom 4 is not Photoshop. It isn't a photo manipulation software. You can't add a unicorn into your pictures. It is only to enhance your photos, not add/subtract to it. For that you would need Photoshop, and that's why it's $700

Original JPG
    [​IMG]

Edited from RAW, in Lightroom 4
    [​IMG]

5. DisneyFreak06

DisneyFreak06 DIS Veteran

okay... just yummy on all the favorite restaurants!

And all those characters? At what time do they do that? I need to do that one day! I think I'll have to spend a trip looking for characters, since it has never been a focus on any of my trips.

6. tb1972

tb1972 DIS Veteran

My DS8 loves Casey's corn dog nuggets too! I'm glad to know someone shares his appreciation of them. They're his must have snack when turning the corner to Adventureland, he munches while waiting in line for Jungle Cruise or POC.

I'm with you on the Puffed French Toast - so yummy! I'm not a breakfast person but Crystal Palace is one we do each trip.

We love EOS & WPE. Lots of good food choices at DTD which was one of the reasons we liked the idea of buying at OKW to take the boat to DTD. Food is an important factor of vacation, right?! : )

7. jennameowse

jennameowse Mouseketeer

Excuse me if this is a terrible question (it's been a while since I was in photography classes and working with LR) but you're taking the RAW form of the photo, putting it through LR, then saving as a JPEG?

I'm hoping to get the program soon. Love it much more than PS just don't have the funds right now. Would definitely make me want to take more photographs if I had an awesome program to edit with.

8. happenin2you

happenin2you Mouseketeer

Thanks! I don't think I need Photoshop. I don't want to add or subtract objects, just enhance what is already there. Thanks for the insight!

9. Missyrose

Missyrose DIS Veteran

Characterpalooza starts at 4:50 p.m. Each round of characters lasts 20 minutes and there can be up to three rounds, depending on what time the first Fantasmic starts.

Our first trip didn't really include any characters, there were just too many attractions to ride. But since then, we like the change of pace that characters bring to touring.

I do love how portable the corndog nuggets are, so handy! :thumbsup2

Clearly, eating isn't just part of our Disney vacations, it's kind of the centerpiece. :lmao:

10. Pixel Dust

Pixel Dust It's a trap!

That is correct. Shoot in RAW > Process in Lightroom > Export (save) as JPG

Think of the RAW files as "digital negatives" and the JPG files as the final product, the print. In the end, we still need to convert it to JPG to share it with the world.

Lightroom will still edit JPG photos. But, you just won't have the latitude for correction, as you do with RAW. Especially in high contrast situations, like my example above. White balance is a key difference when editing with RAW over JPG. Indoor shots that were once yellow or orange can be easily fixed with the RAW file.

11. jennameowse

jennameowse Mouseketeer

Thanks so much for all the info. When I was working with LR it was just with JPG but I'm sure editing RAW will be different but really great.

12. Missyrose

Missyrose DIS Veteran

We're one week away from heading to Disney! Can you believe it? It feels like these past few weeks have flown by. Let's hope this next week keeps the pattern going.

Franklin and I had a big day, we met up with our wedding photographers for an engagement photo shoot! We got glammed up and took lots of photos at different places in downtown D.C. As soon as the photographers put up the sneak peek blog post with some of the photos next week, I'll post a link for all of you! :goodvibes

And now, on with the countdown...

Favorite Disney Restaurants

10. Beaches and Cream

[​IMG]

B&C is new to our favorites list, but it’s debuting in our top 10! It’s the perfect little soda shop, with tasty food and even yummier desserts. It specializes in burgers.

[​IMG]

But they have other options beyond burgers and fries, for instance, the grilled cheese was amazing.

[​IMG]

But the real stars of the show are any of the ice cream items. Franklin loved his root beer float.

[​IMG]

And all the ginormous ice cream sundaes looked AMAZING.

[​IMG]

But even the slightly smaller brownie sundae we ordered was out of this world!

[​IMG]

9. The Plaza
    Many people pass The Plaza by because when it comes to the Disney Dining Plan, it just isn’t the same value as other table service restaurants. But that’s kind of what we love about The Plaza, you get a delicious TS meal at a price much closer to CS. It’s become our go-to respite on our MK days.

The sandwiches are incredible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And The Plaza is one of the only places to gets fries that are different from your typical Disney fries. They’re steak fries and I always ask for them extra-crispy! Once again, no meal is complete without a dessert and The Plaza’s sundaes are among the best in the World.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. CRT

Oh CRT, you know a man loves you when he puts up with a princess breakfast at Cinderella’s Castle. No pictures from our meal yet, but the food was really good. Franklin had the lobster and crab crepe, while I went with the breakfast platter that had eggs, fruit, potatoes and sausage. The pastries were also really, really yummy.

I, of course, wore my favorite Cinderella T-shirt for this breakfast and when we met the star of the show, she said: “I should have your face on MY dress!” So cute, right?

7. 50s Primetime Cafe

50s Primetime Cafe entered our rotation on our very first trip to Disney World together back in 2009 and it’s remained planted there ever since. We’ve already established that the CS restaurants at DHS leave much to be desired. So we always schedule a TS lunch on our DHS days and 50s PTC is our go-to option. The food is great and the atmosphere is TONS of fun.

[​IMG]

Let’s start with the food. My go-to meal is the fried chicken. It’s true southern fried chicken, with just enough crispy batter to keep the chicken tasty and moist.

[​IMG]

Franklin has gotten the pot roast,

[​IMG]

or the Mom’s favorites platter.

[​IMG]

We always share some onion rings.

[​IMG]

And we always finish the meal off with the brownie sundae (topped with caramel corn and M&Ms!)

[​IMG]

But the food is only half the story, the antics of the wait staff are equally fun.

Cousin Cooper was our waiter a couple of years ago and he was a hoot. He brought me out two iced teas because he said “I know how you iced tea drinkers are.”

[​IMG]

And if you break the rules, they might make stand facing the wall while the rest of the restaurants chants “shame, shame, shame.”

[​IMG]

On our last visit, Aunt Donna was super sweet (as long as she didn’t see us using our cellphones at the table!)

[​IMG]

And she dubbed us part of the “Clean Plate Club.”

[​IMG]

13. heaven2dc

heaven2dc DIS Veteran

I love your restaurant choices! The Plaza definitely is a must do next trip (whenever that is.....) :thumbsup2 The ice cream sundae looks amazing! Can't wait until your next trip!!

14. 2xcited2sleep

2xcited2sleep DIS Veteran

Hurrah for one week!! :yay:

Totally agree with you on The Plaza and their sandwiches and steak fries. Seriously yummy! And love Beaches 'n Cream too. I really wonder why the don't expand the size of the restaurant...so tiny!!

I haven't been to Prime Time in forever...might have to put that on the list.

Hope you have a great trip!!! :goodvibes

15. teekathepony

teekathepony DIS Veteran

One week! Can't wait to live vicariously through another of your reports!
    Sme day I have got to get me to Beaches and Cream. Looks amazing.

I totally agree about 50sPT too! Love that place!

16. Shazzasmd

Shazzasmd Mouseketeer

Only a week to go!!! We just returned from a 4 day trip and couldn't believe how warm it was - 80's every day.

Loving the restaurant reviews.

17. Missyrose

Missyrose DIS Veteran

Yay! I'm glad The Plaza made it onto your must-do list. It's sooo worth it!

Thank you!!!! I love being able to say "one week from now we'll be at Epcot." Just four more days of work until I'm on vacation. Plus, one of those days I'm working from home (tomorrow, the inauguration will make commuting hell in and around D.C., so I'll just telecommute -- a.k.a. having time to work on my TR! :rotfl:)

I'm starting to see the pattern in my picks. Apparently, if your restaurant has yummy hot fudge sundaes, then you're probably golden in my book. :lmao:

Thanks Wendy, I hope we can live up to your expectations!

Ooooo, let's hear more about your trip Sharon! Where did you stay? What was your favorite thing you did? I need details!

The weather looked amazing this week. The seven day forecasts show kinda what I expect for late January, mid-70s most days with a couple of random days with a high of 60. It does look like it will REALLY cool off in the evenings. Luckily, Franklin and I have a healthy selection of Disney sweatshirts! :thumbsup2

18. Missyrose

Missyrose DIS Veteran

Favorite Disney Restaurant

6. Citricos

We’ve made it to our first signature restaurant on the countdown. This is just one of TWO signatures at the Grand Floridian. Before we get to the restaurant, can we just gaze at the gorgeous lobby? :cloud9:
    [​IMG]

Back to Citricos...

[​IMG]

It’s a beautiful, tranquil restaurant.

[​IMG]

And the food, a modern Mediterranean menu, has many delicious choices.

Franklin’s favorite part of his whole meal was his crab cake appetizer, it had no filler whatsoever.

[​IMG]

I loved my cheese plate,

[​IMG]

and my veal Osso Buco. The meat fell right off the bone!

[​IMG]

And our desserts weren’t too shabby, either.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. marDgreen88

marDgreen88 DIS Veteran

Wow, your trip is so soon, I didn't even realize! Loving all the food pics. Yum yum yum. :goodvibes

20. PrincessAmongPrinces

PrincessAmongPrinces Mouseketeer

Have so much fun on your trip! :) And Happy Early Birthday to Frank-a-lin!! Enjoy spending your day at Disney!

21. Pixel Dust

Pixel Dust It's a trap!

Thanks Kelley! I'm pretty excited about the things Missy has planned for me on this birthday trip. :cool1: