Handicapped Accessible 2 bedroom

LadyJayne813

Earning My Ears
Hello All,

I was hoping someone could guide me in the right direction.

We would like to go to Orlando in the spring with my parents. My mom uses a wheelchair, and needs an accessible shower.

Last year, we stayed in a villa at caribe royale, and booked the handicapped accessible villa months in advance. When we arrived at the hotel, no handicapped villas were available. There were no other options at that point, and my mom had to take sponge baths the whole week we were there.

I know that hotels cannot make guarantees, but asking for a pool view is completely different then booking an accessible room, and not receiving it.

While we liked the room at Caribe royale, this issue with a non-accessible bathroom cannot happen again. Does anyone know of any other similar resorts in orlando where we could stay, and rest easy that we would be guaranteed the accessible room we book months in advance?

Thanks for your help!

This might be better answered over on the DIS "disABILITIES" board, and the mods might want to move it -- but I think there are resorts which DO guarantee accessible rooms.

You're absolutely right, an HA room is definitely NOT comparable to asking for a particular view! I've been asked many times if we would take an accessible room and I've always said, "Heck NO!" because I didn't want to deprive someone who really needed it.

I know at the onsite Disney resorts, there is a special service that you need to contact to be assured of an HA room. They go into a conference call with you and the resort to make sure it is guaranteed, and they are the ONLY people at WDW who can guarantee HA. Offsite, I would check with the individual resort, and also on the disABILITIES board and see if you can get guaranteed accessibility.

And frankly, if they say it's not guaranteed, I would tell them very directly that is the reason why you will be staying somewhere else!

Last edited:
Have you thought about a house? While I am not sure where the houses were, when I was looking for a place to stay, there were a couple of nice homes that had handicap showers and bathrooms. I would try looking at homeaway, flip key or vrbo. It takes awhile to wade through all the ones that say they are handicap but not really, I am able to use a walk-in shower with a chair, so it was easier for us to find a place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter