Handicap rooms with wheelchair?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by mickey4ever, Aug 15, 2013.

1. mickey4ever

mickey4ever Mouseketeer

We are taking my mother who is going to be in a wheelchair and was wondering if the rooms with two double beds are a little bigger so we have room for the wheelchair to move around more free? They look like there is a little more room between the beds and the tv/dresser area?

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. WDWAurora

WDWAurora <font color=teal>I may not be Peter's Tink, but I'

I'd ask on the disabilities forum (on here). That group is a wealth of information and I'm positive someone there will know the answer to your question.

4. spiceycat

spiceycat <font color=blue>Own at BWV, VWL and BLT<br><font

though that most disney's handicapped rooms (HC) have a king bed only now some have second room connecting it with 2 beds. (value)\

here is the disabilities board mention above
    http://disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

5. weswife

weswife DIS Veteran

Hello,

My DD uses a wheelchair full time. We need a roll in shower too. We have stayed at WL, POP, ASM, CSR and CBR, all have been the same set up as mentioned above. Never an issue using the wheelchair in the room :)

6. GadgetTheInventor

GadgetTheInventor Mouseketeer

I've only stayed in the POP rooms. The rooms with double beds are tight if you have 3 or 4 people, but functional. It's not something where you can turn a wheelchair around wherever you want, but you can move past a wheelchair fine. There are a lot of nooks and crannies to store luggage so that there is more space for the wheelchair to move around. I would consider it cozy, but not degrading by any means.

As a PP mentioned, there are connecting HC rooms with a king bed to a standard room with double beds. We requested this our first year and arrived to find that they had assigned our room to someone else and told us we were SOL for our entire trip...so I wouldn't count on getting a HC room necessarily.

7. cassie

cassie <font color=green>I did run free in the 70's<br><f

You have to ask for a handicape room which they have. I was given such a room with my 2 gds and it was a king bed with a roll in shower at ASMO.

8. carrie1626

carrie1626 DIS Veteran

If your reservation is made for the TOTAL number of quests in your party and a HANDICAP room required, you will be fine.:)