HalloweenTime at DLR Info and Photo Superthread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't usually celebrate Halloween that much, I just stay in and pass out candy to the 5 trick or treaters who may come by. BUUUT this year I might just go to Mickey's Halloween Party!

We usually skip fall-time DL all together (Christmas time is my absolute favorite), but my grandpa whose Birthday is actually on Halloween passed away recently... My mom wants to go on Halloween so she won't feel so sad and b/c she has the day off. Eee I'm really excited! I even have a fun costume in mind.

Pumpkin Spice Latte on Main St. on Halloween in my fabulous costume - I'm so excited! I just hope the 31st doesn't sell out before we make our final decision...

Also you guys, I've heard the candy corn Oreos don't taste like candy corn at all. Just vanilla lol. I would like to try those pumpkin spice M&Ms.

She will not need to be there. You get paper tickets in the mail without any names on them. I ordered 8 for our group for the 9/27 party at $51/per instead of $59 advanced or $67 day off. They do charge a one time $5 processing charge that I wasn't aware of but we still saved quite a bit using the Disney Visa discount.

Thank you, Morgan063006!!!!! I was hoping that was the case but I wanted to double check.

Goofy_Mom --

You know, I finally saw one episode of "Thriller" the other night (from 1960, and in black & white). It airs in the wee hours every day on MEtv, usually somewhere around when "Night Gallery" airs.

I won't judge an entire series on just one episode, but the one episode I saw of "Thriller" was boring and annoying. There was an annoying kid running around getting into mischief, his annoying father and the mom who was trying to reason with both of them.

Part of the problem with the show is that it is one hour. It dragged on too long in that one hour. Too much talking and too many slow scenes, and then too many scenes with the precocious son.

The reason why "Twilight Zone" and "Night Gallery" worked so well is that Rod Serling's storytelling abilities fit nicely into a 30-minute time slot, and there was even room for the inevitable twist at the end of every episode to wrap things up and leave us surprised. Nothing ever dragged for too long. There were some one-hour "Twilight Zone" episodes (like the one in the wax museum, for example) and those did seem a bit slower as well.

That was always the problem I had with "Outer Limits" and "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" too - they were one hour, and if the plot of the episode was not totally enthralling it dragged.

So I will give "Thriller" another chance if I find an episode that has a plot I am interested in, but the one I saw was not enough to lure me in. I think I might like the 1973 version of the shoe a bit better.

The "Night Gallery" movie (upon which the TV series was ultimately based), which starred Roddy McDowell and Joan Crawford (and her segment was directed by Steven Spielberg, if I recall correctly), was great. I highly recommend that if you haven't seen it. There was a creepy story about a painting that kept changing every time Roddy McDowall looked at it. I love storylines in which things come to life that shouldn't come to life, such as paintings, statues, dolls, wax figures, mannequins, puppets, etc.!!:rotfl2:

Oh no Sherry E!!!! I'm sorry that the Thriller episode you saw was less than par! Hopefully that one ep will not put you off watching again. If you can find it, watch "The Hungry Glass". That is the ep with William Shatner and the mirrors that I was talking about.

I'll have to look for the Night Gallery movie. It sounds great! And thank you for the info on the Halloween specials. As soon as it shows up on my DVR, I am setting it to record. Something to watch while I am working on this year's costumes!!

Kilala - When I saw the Cadbury Scream Eggs at Winco last week as well as the Reese's pumpkins I knew it was getting close to Halloween! I love the Cadbury regular eggs so getting to have basically the same thing 6 months later is fantastic. I love your costume btw! The amount of work and detail that you put into is astounding! :worship:

I wish I was going to be at DLR this Friday! It sounds like it is going to be an absolutely fabulous time with the villains and I hope anyone who is going will take lots of pictures and share them with us here. :rolleyes1 :goodvibes

Just returned from our most recent visit to the DLR! The first few days were VERY HOT and felt very much like Summer. But two days ago when we arrived at DL there were beautiful Orange Banners all the way down Main Street and there was a cool breeze all day long. And there was a special sign over the door to a certain Mansion which was still closed and shrouded in green all around, but Jack had arrived on the scene:) This morning on our last trip down Main Street for this trip, some friendly Pumpkins had joined in the Fun. The air definitely had a feel of Fall. What Fun!!!

I have been checking the tickets for the party to see what dates are selling out. Yesterday morning the site said the 4th of October was sold out it's the same this morining but, Last night I checked and it was not sold out. So the 4th might be sold out.
The 4th is sold out, and I need tickets.
Any advice on buying tickets? Are some tickets available at the ticket booths on the event day?

Thank you, Morgan063006!!!!! I was hoping that was the case but I wanted to double check.

Oh no Sherry E!!!! I'm sorry that the Thriller episode you saw was less than par! Hopefully that one ep will not put you off watching again. If you can find it, watch "The Hungry Glass". That is the ep with William Shatner and the mirrors that I was talking about.

I'll have to look for the Night Gallery movie. It sounds great! And thank you for the info on the Halloween specials. As soon as it shows up on my DVR, I am setting it to record. Something to watch while I am working on this year's costumes!!

Kilala - When I saw the Cadbury Scream Eggs at Winco last week as well as the Reese's pumpkins I knew it was getting close to Halloween! I love the Cadbury regular eggs so getting to have basically the same thing 6 months later is fantastic. I love your costume btw! The amount of work and detail that you put into is astounding! :worship:

I wish I was going to be at DLR this Friday! It sounds like it is going to be an absolutely fabulous time with the villains and I hope anyone who is going will take lots of pictures and share them with us here. :rolleyes1 :goodvibes

Thank you about the costume. I still have to post pictures of the finished costume.

I don't usually celebrate Halloween that much, I just stay in and pass out candy to the 5 trick or treaters who may come by. BUUUT this year I might just go to Mickey's Halloween Party!

We usually skip fall-time DL all together (Christmas time is my absolute favorite), but my grandpa whose Birthday is actually on Halloween passed away recently... My mom wants to go on Halloween so she won't feel so sad and b/c she has the day off. Eee I'm really excited! I even have a fun costume in mind.

Pumpkin Spice Latte on Main St. on Halloween in my fabulous costume - I'm so excited! I just hope the 31st doesn't sell out before we make our final decision...

Also you guys, I've heard the candy corn Oreos don't taste like candy corn at all. Just vanilla lol. I would like to try those pumpkin spice M&Ms.

SingWithFlowers --

The holiday season at DLR is my favorite too, and Halloween Time is not quite as developed or as extensive as the holidays are at DLR, but it is a lot of fun. I think you'll enjoy it!

rowan1813 --

I love the Reese's Pumpkins!

I am hoping that MEtv eventually airs the William Shatner episode.

I'm going on Friday and will be posting photos when I get back. Anyone who has followed my trip reports in the past or my DLR Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread knows I am all about the pictures! I take lots and lots of photos of everything!

Just returned from our most recent visit to the DLR! The first few days were VERY HOT and felt very much like Summer. But two days ago when we arrived at DL there were beautiful Orange Banners all the way down Main Street and there was a cool breeze all day long. And there was a special sign over the door to a certain Mansion which was still closed and shrouded in green all around, but Jack had arrived on the scene:) This morning on our last trip down Main Street for this trip, some friendly Pumpkins had joined in the Fun. The air definitely had a feel of Fall. What Fun!!!

marts35 --

It's still pretty warm in SoCal and doesn't feel like Fall to me just yet, unfortunately (maybe because it is still Summer!:rotfl2:), but signs of Halloween Time are, indeed, fun! Summer usually takes a while to really leave (and is sometimes downright hotter than August) even after it is over, but it will be gone eventually! I haven't felt much in the way of cool breezes in the daytime (not in my area of SoCal) except for in the early morning hours. It's supposed to be close to 90 degrees on Friday. Too hot for me!

The 4th is sold out, and I need tickets.
Any advice on buying tickets? Are some tickets available at the ticket booths on the event day?

Nonsuch --

Will you be staying onsite (presumably at the GCH) during that time? From what we learned here last year, the 3 DLR hotels will likely have a limited number of tickets available for the onsite guests only, on the day of the party you wish to attend. It's not a 100% guarantee, but it's likely that some tickets are being held back for hotel guests and your hotel should have some 10/4 tickets on the morning of 10/4.

There may, perhaps, also be some tickets available at the ticket booths on the day of the event but it seems to not be a sure thing for every single party -- only some of them.

I will be at Disneyland on Friday, September 13 for the kick-off of the halloween season.

ludari --

Cool! It looks like there will be quite a few of us there on 9/13. I know that somewhere on this forum is a Check-In thread just for folks who are going on 9/13 and I thought that Tom/I'mTooExcitedToSleep was trying to organize a meet-up on that day for all of the 9/13 people, but I don't know if that's still happening or not.

Hi Sherry, I cannot wait for you to experience the Friday the 13th event, and return with the details!!!

I hope you have a wonderful time!::yes::

Here are the pictures of the photo shoot I did of my Demeter costume. I bought the unitard and altered it and painted it. Someone else made the leg warmers. I made the arm wamers. Skahlly made the tail. I made the wig. I will be wearing this on the 18th at MHP this year. I will do a photo shoot of my Lily costume this coming up Tuesday.

the back without the wamrers and the tail

front with out the warmers and tail

front with the warmers and tail

back with warmers and tail

LOL!!!

The rest can be found here http://s499.photobucket.com/user/Na...ume 2013/photo shoot1 Sept 2013?sort=2&page=1

Fantastic costume. I do not know how you got the cat to stand still and pose for that picture, but it looks amazing.

Will you be staying onsite (presumably at the GCH) during that time? From what we learned here last year, the 3 DLR hotels will likely have a limited number of tickets available for the onsite guests only, on the day of the party you wish to attend. It's not a 100% guarantee, but it's likely that some tickets are being held back for hotel guests and your hotel should have some 10/4 tickets on the morning of 10/4.
You presume correctly, I will be staying at VGC :goodvibes
I had not thought about trying to buy tickets at the hotel, so thank you for the advice :thumbsup2

I want one too. The coffin one is cute too. How do I choose?

Choose? Get both! :) If it's like previous years, the coffin will also be available with a sandwich at the French Market. You can then get the coffin and say you didn't have a choice because it came with the meal. :D That's actually why I have two...the sandwich was really good and there wasn't a "no coffin" option.

Kilala -

I'm sure you did a great job on the costume!

Pumpkin Spice M&M's at Target? Thank you for the heads up! I hadn't seen that one yet (fortunately!).

Now you see, that puts me in the same position I was in last year, when I was debating on whether or not to get a package of Candy Corn Oreo's (not only candy corn-flavored filling, but also candy corn-colored filling, if I recall correctly). And...the White Chocolate Candy Corn M&M's sold in grocery stores. I also had the same dilemma during the holidays, when M&M's put out some sort of chocolate peppermint thing that was exclusive to Target. (Target seems to be cornering the market on carrying seasonal flavors for both M&M's and Oreos that are exclusive to their stores.)

The dilemma is that I want to try these seasonal goodies -- I just love the name Pumpkin Spice M&M's! -- but I don't want to commit to getting an entire package of any of them, just in case I don't like them. I don't want to be stuck with a whole package of Candy Corn Oreos or Pumpkin Spice M&M's if I don't like the taste!

The one seasonal treat I am sure I will love (but never knew existed) is the Caramel Apple Milky Way miniatures. I don't see how that could go wrong in any way, unless the apple flavoring is too sweet or too artificial-tasting.

I can put my two cents in about the candy corn Oreo's, they're not overly candy corn flavor. The kids and I liked them. The Starburst candy corns are supposed to be fruit flavored. At my Walgreen's I was able to get a single size serving of the candy corn M&M's (didn't care for those) and I've seen at Micheal's craft store at the check out line they have the Scream eggs from Cadbury sold individually.

I, too, LOVE the new popcorn bucket! I hope DL sells it, too.

I've got my costume all situated! I have a red dress that I was hoping to fit into, I'm still three inches two big for it. But, I did get a red/black corset like top to wrap around me so you can't tell the dress doesn't zip up. Actually, you can't tell it's a dress with the corset on! I need to get a cape, but it looks like I'll be able to pull off my devil costume! For a while, I thought I was just going to have to go in plain clothes with horns and fake lashes. Woop-Woop!!! doin' the four week dance!!!:cool1::cool1::banana::banana::dance3::cheer2::woohoo:

Kilala - WOW amazing costume. Right off the stage!!

I want to hear more costume talk!!! What's everyone thinking?!

My son wants us all to be steampunk so I've been looking online for ideas. Found some men's vests that will work. We've got a lot of pieces like boots and pants, hats and some goggles but I need to add some personality. Might go to michaels and see what kind of cool jewelry or accessory I can make. They have a lot if that stuff in their jewelry dept (octopus' are very steampunk - for whatever reason. Oh I guess Jules Verne 20,000 leagues)

DisFam95, I love costume talk too!

Have you thought about fake facial hair (drawn on to save the temp thing). Handlebar mo and sideburns? Did you say that he has goggles? A vest is a must (too hot for a jacket though...pity).

As for my costumes: I'm a huge Mickey fan. We haven't been to DL/DCA in over three years, so the DCA update is all new to us. When I was looking around to see what was new, I came upon the suitcase and a dream Mickey. So, I have modified that to a newsboy Mickey for me.

My DD (14) wants to go as Shock from Nightmare before Christmas. Lord help me! So, that costume is almost done. I will have to make her hat when we get to the states as we can't fit it in our bags....so, one witch's hat with no sewing machine (she loves to challenge me). lol

Fantastic costume. I do not know how you got the cat to stand still and pose for that picture, but it looks amazing.

thank you!!! LOL!! what cat are you talking about? If you are talking about the cat walking in front of me that is my cat Naruto. She was walking infront of me when the picture was taken. I'm albe to put my camera on a timer when I take pictures. She walked in the camera just at the right time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter