Half day whale watching?

seobaina

DIS Veteran
hi

Has anyone done a half day rather than full day whale watch? Can you recommend anyone? Was it worth it? We are going mid October and I'm a huge shark fan. One of my friends is a big whale fan. We're trying to decide if we should use half a day to go (don't have time for a full day one). Thanks

We went on a whale watch out of Long Beach a couple of weekends ago, and had a lot of fun. It was a 3-hour ride - 3:30-6:30pm. You can try Long Beach or Dana Point. They have whale watching out of there, too.

Thanks. Unfortunately we don't have time when we're near long beach. San Fran is our only opportunity. Glad you enjoyed it though. That gives me hope.

Take a look at Trip Advisor. That's where we found our adventure - Captain Dave's Dolphin Safari. It leaves out of Dana Point, so that won't help you, but the reviews were right on and we had a GREAT time! Going again next year!

Is it that bad then? I thought this was the right time of year.

I find tripadvisor reviews very mixed on things like this cause it depends on sightings x

disney144 is misinformed. September and October are statistically our warmest months. That said, you can get cold and bumpy on any day of the year. Best advice for non-bumpy is to take the first trip in the morning. Usually, the wind kicks up around noon or early afternoon. You can have a glass-calm trip in the morning, while the afternoon trip is a roller coaster. Trust me on this - I work for an oceanographic research institute, and I've experienced this phenomenon many times on Monterey Bay.

Bob

disney144 is misinformed. September and October are statistically our warmest months. That said, you can get cold and bumpy on any day of the year. Best advice for non-bumpy is to take the first trip in the morning. Usually, the wind kicks up around noon or early afternoon. You can have a glass-calm trip in the morning, while the afternoon trip is a roller coaster. Trust me on this - I work for an oceanographic research institute, and I've experienced this phenomenon many times on Monterey Bay.

Bob

Thanks Bob, it's the morning one I was thinking of doing. Is this a good time of year to go?

Thanks Bob, it's the morning one I was thinking of doing. Is this a good time of year to go?

Should be great. Too early for the grey whale migration, but hopefully the humpbacks will still be around. I think they're more fun to watch anyway - more tail flipping. The blues are hit or miss any time. Not too many around, but if you see one, it's awe inspiring.

Should be great. Too early for the grey whale migration, but hopefully the humpbacks will still be around. I think they're more fun to watch anyway - more tail flipping. The blues are hit or miss any time. Not too many around, but if you see one, it's awe inspiring.

Thank you :) I think I'd be happy seeing any whales :) Do you think there's ANY chance I might see a shark? I know they often swim deep but I love sharks so I'm kinda hoping (safely from a boat that is lol). Thanks again

Thank you :) I think I'd be happy seeing any whales :) Do you think there's ANY chance I might see a shark? I know they often swim deep but I love sharks so I'm kinda hoping (safely from a boat that is lol). Thanks again

You're right, they appear less frequently on the surface than do the marine mammals, since they don't need air to breathe. Still, there are plenty of sharks around, both in SF Bay and the Farallon's; so you have a decent chance. If you look at the Oceanic Society's whale watching trip page at https://www.oceanicsociety.org/whale-watching/farallons and scroll down to "What We See", they say they "occasionally" see great whites and thresher sharks. So it's possible.

Good luck, and have a great trip.
Bob

Farallon's are your best bet for seeing the sharks. We have a friend who fishes out there and he sees really big ones all the time. I love whale watching. I agree with Grandbob the best time is the morning, they are fresh and playful as well. The winds are not as bad and quite clear usually. Take the camera and enjoy. Some trips you may get surprised. We have been out when some whales are playful and stay with the boat and just have fun with everyone. Wow after reading this I need to go out now…:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter