Hair Braiding

kddlm

DIS Veteran
We are going to be on the Eastern Carrib. Fantasy (st. martin, san juan, castaway cay).....where could DD get hair braided (front part of head, kind of like making a headband) and what is a fair price for this?

We are going to be on the Eastern Carrib. Fantasy (st. martin, san juan, castaway cay).....where could DD get hair braided (front part of head, kind of like making a headband) and what is a fair price for this?

If those were my choices, I'd have it done onboard. I worry about the cleanliness of those locations that are not under US standards.

Yes, I know, technically the ship isn't under US standards, but I think its' more so than the ones actually on land in another country.

:cutie:

I would say St. Maarten will be your best bet. Sure you can have it done onboard, but it will be much more expensive. Be sure to negotiate a price and make sure it's for the entire head of hair and not one braid! I would say a half-crown should run you about $20 on an island. If you are worried about cleanliness (I've never gotten bugs or anything), take your own comb with you!

Castaway Cay is Disney owned and run by the ship so the prices will most likely be the same on there as on the ship.

We had it done on board and it was cheaper then the islands( MAGIC). We had a lot more done and I spent less then 30.

I second doing it on board, you can schedule it, and you won't be hassled with pricing issues. They are straight forward, my daughter had the whole top of her head done with a tip for aruond $16.00
Lesley

They are stationed on the pool decks and they do accept appointments. Always had very nice ladies doing it and they have always been great to our daughter.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Here's a question regarding the hair braiding: are the braids easy to remove later? Is the hair damaged at all? I considered this for my DD9 this past June but wasn't sure how it would affect her hair afterwards.

Am easy way to take the braids out is to first apply conditioner to the hair. It is much easier

The usual price is $2 per braid. Like the previous post said, conditioner works! Douse the head in cheap conditioner (99cent store). Put a shower cap on and let it sit for a while. The braids will almost slide out after this. ALSO, when the braids are in, don't forget to put sunscreen on the scalp!

$2 a braid is fair if you do it on an island. Be sure to say exactly how many braids you want otherwise they will put in teeny tiny braids and charge your for each one. Found that out the hard way! Take your own comb.

we got ours done onboard and wouldn't consider doing it anywhere else! One recommendation--tylenol before hand! They'll be tugging pretty hard on the hair but once it is in, it is so easy and they look so cute for all the pictures!

My dd had hers done onboard by the pool one afternoon on the Fantasy. The cost was about $25 including a tip. It took about 45 minutes to do. The lady was really nice and she did a great job. DD's stayed in for over a month! Her hair wasn't damaged at all and it was great to have for all the swimming she did here at home during that month!
Here's DD right after it was done on the ship.
564242_3897820011311_1402754372_n.jpg

On her B-day 36 days after it was done!

531590_4034225261357_703306401_n.jpg

After taking the braids out. Wish I'd known about the conditioner trick! It took longer to take them out than put them in!
561066_4034225621366_1267029070_n.jpg

I don't think it is any cheaper off the ship. On the ship they are booked so solid they are not going to play the games of trying to get as many braids in as possible because they have another head to start on. They are usually booked solid for appointments. DD has very thick hair and did the head band type and it was $22 plus tip on the Fantasy. It gets charged to your cabin. As another poster mentioned there are some concerns with lice off the ships.

I'm hoping to get my 2 older DDs hair done on our trip. Quick question though, did anyone's kids have a hard time sleeping with them in? I could see my kids complaining about sleeping on the beads.

I would say St. Maarten will be your best bet. Sure you can have it done onboard, but it will be much more expensive. Be sure to negotiate a price and make sure it's for the entire head of hair and not one braid! I would say a half-crown should run you about $20 on an island. If you are worried about cleanliness (I've never gotten bugs or anything), take your own comb with you!

Castaway Cay is Disney owned and run by the ship so the prices will most likely be the same on there as on the ship.

We were just on CC in June and my DH & I both commented that hair braiding costs MORE on CC than it does on the ship. Just wanted to clarify that for people that are considering getting it done off the ship; even if off the ship only means having it done on CC.

My dd didn't complain of having problems sleeping. She had them for over a month so if it was a problem I'm sure she would have mentioned it!

We did ours on the Fantasy right by the pool. We didn't have an appointment. We walked up about 4:00 on Tuesday (Costa Maya) day and the lady had nobody booked so we got right in. Took about 45 minutes and we sat by the pool while it was done so my Ds's could swim. It is probably more crowded and booked at the start of the cruise and on at sea days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter