Had to switch from AKL to POR! Tell me it'll be okay.

leighe

<font color=teal>Are we there yet?<br><font color=
DH invited his parents to join us on Spring Break (did not even warn me he was going to do so). We had ressies at AKL and he thought since there are queen beds they could just share a room with us!:eek: Finally convinced him that that wasn't the best idea ( I really get along with his parents, but there's something kind of creepy about that). Well, his parents HATE to spend money and think WDW is something of an extravagance (I think they think I was brought up in some kind of alternate universe because my parents threw us birthday parties and took us to WDW almost every summer) so we are going to have to switch to POR. I nixed the Values b/c I am a cheerleading coach and have had about all the cheerleading and cheerleaders I can stand by Spring Break. I thought we could stay at AKL (I was soooooooooo excited about it) and let them stay wherever they want, but that didn't make DH very happy and he has had a really trying year at work, so I'm trying to be as accomadating as possible.
So . . . will I like POR? We have stayed at Caribbean and liked it pretty well. What section should we request - mansions or AB? Thanks for all the advice!

We've stayed at POR and AKL, and to be honest, we liked POR just as well- if not better! We got upgraded to AKL b/c of POFQ renovations- so we paid maybe $20 more a night than moderate and had a savannah view. While it was neat and very nice, I would never pay regular price for AKL! We do not stay at the resort much- we're in the parks from opening to evening. The food court at POR was much better IMHO! It just doesn't have the fitness center and those typed things that the deluxes have. POR is very beautiful- the landscaping is wonderful and I believe award winning! We stayed in the mansion section- Magnolia Bend. It was beautiful! I think you will be very happy! Even if you do spend a lot of time at the resort- POR has lots to do and is comparable to a deluxe.
Have a terrific trip!

We have stayed at and love both. Now, I must tell you that AKL is my favorite resort on site, mostly because of Boma. POR is a wonderful resort though. We have stayed in the mansions twice and Alligator Bayou twice. I prefer the mansions. We also really love Boatwrights, especially at breakfast.::MickeyMo :wave2:

Just want to say that I think you're a VERY good sport and have a GREAT attitude! I'm not sure my DH would be getting quite the generosity yours is in this scenario;) . I know you are going to have a wonderful time. POR really seems to be a favorite of many. Have fun!:earsgirl:

I can't believe he wanted to share a room with his parents :eek: We have stayed at POR and had a great time. We were in the mansion section, but AB looks lovely too. Definately try Boatwrights for breakfast - they have some of the best french toast on property ::yes:: With the wonderful accomodating attitude you have, you will have a fabulous time I am sure.

Ok, I'm going to be totally honest with you.First of all,AKL used to be my favorite resort ,our first stay was wonderful,our second stay was an absolute nightmare. I was lied to a couple of times and encountered very uncaring and rude CMs. POR we fell in love with, our rooms were in perfect condition and I absolutely loved my morning walk around the resort.So relaxing!!! AKL is a beautiful resort ,but, so is POR.Plus, you have the boat to Downtown Disney, you can rent bikes to ride around the resort or you could rent a boat.Make sure that you get a room in the Mansions::yes::

Stop worrying you will love POR !!!

Thanks for all the advice and kind comments. I'm sure we're going to have a great time. I'll just have to sneak off and do my shopping alone so I don't get the "You're going to pay HOW MUCH for that ?!?!" looks.
The up side is that we are going to see a few Atlanta Braves spring training games and since his parents are both sooooo into baseball (MIL will SIT IN THE CAR IN THE DRIVEWAY and listen to games on the radio when they are not on tv :rolleyes: ) I won't have to pretend to be one bit interested! I may even take a book. Baseball games are sooooo long. MIL thinks I'm so "girly." Obviously DH is an only child and MIL had like 5 brothers.

Thanks for all the advice and kind comments. I'm sure we're going to have a great time. I'll just have to sneak off and do my shopping alone so I don't get the "You're going to pay HOW MUCH for that ?!?!" looks

Oh, you sweet dear!
{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}} to you!
you go and have a great time!
The PORS is a nice place and you're being such a good sport about all of this!

Lots of Pixie Dust~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ your way!

PS...maybe you and DH could sneek off and have dinner at Jiko's one night away from them all?
;)

It could always be worse! If it were MY MIL, she would expect a concierge room at the GF-paid for by us of course!!:smooth: But you're being such a great sport about everything that I'm sure some Disney magic will come your way!:sunny:

I think all the pixie dust and good wishes have paid off! I emailed MIL some websites with pictures of the resorts and now she is in love with AKL and is "discussing" the possibility of staying there with FIL. :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc She's supposed to call me back this afternoon and let me know, so keep your fingers crossed!
You all are so great! I love these boards. I know that wherever we stay we are going to have a great time. If we stay at POR I'm going to use some of the extra money to take MIL with me to get spa treatments at GF and FORCE her to be girly and "extravagant" with me!;) (That will make up for all the baseball.)

Have a great time Leighe. I'm glad pixie dust went your way. Tell your MIL that they should have a better (Braves) baseball team this year. Because they acquired some of the St. Louis Cardinals great player...such as Marrero, JD Drew. I am a big STL Cards fans and really hate to see them go.:teeth:

Oooooohhhh - if I tell her that she'll think I really know what I'm talking about! Great info - thanks a lot! Now she's worried about the view so she and FIL may be paying for us to upgrade to savannah view!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter