Had to change resorts to POR French Quarter - will I be disapointed?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by Dotsie, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Dotsie

Dotsie Mouseketeer

We have always stayed at the Poly or the Shades of Green on vacay. Due to a family vacation this year, instead of staying at the Shades of Green we are now all staying at POR French Quarter. There will be 5 of us in our room - my kids are 9, 7, and 2.
    I love New Orleans, have been there about 10 times so the resort does appeal to me. I'm just afraid that we've been spoiled by being close to the monorail.
    How is the theming? The ease of transportation?

Thanks!!

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. Arnir

Arnir Mouseketeer

I've stayed at the PO:FQ but not the others you have mentioned. The theming is fine if perhaps a bit over the top - but so is Mardi Gras in NOLA - although that theming is more in the registration building. To me the biggest thing is that the place is small and very intimate. I loved that part of it and I liked the charm of walking through the French Quarter.

I'm a transit snob and loved it there. Leisurely boat ride to DTD. Buses everywhere else, but they were efficient. Sometimes we shared with PO:R but most of the time we didn't. Almost always had a seat which was a big plus from when I was at All Star Sports.

I hope you like it.

4. OurBigTrip

OurBigTrip DIS Veteran

I've never stayed at the Poly, but I've stayed at SoG and POFQ, and I would choose POFQ in a hot minute. We love it there!

5. scdak

scdak DIS Veteran

I did a split stay at POFQ then Poly in 2010, have not stayed at the Poly since then, I love POFQ and it would be my resort of choice although I am thinking about a split stay at POFQ and WL for my next trip, just because I love the theme of WL and want to try club level for a few days just to feel spoiled :)

6. wdwrich

wdwrich DIS Veteran

We have stayed at the Poly, SOG and POR. The thing you will probably notice most is the size of the rooms at POFQ. They are significantly smaller than those at either SOG or Poly (which are some of the largest standard hotel rooms on property).

7. llqool

llqool DIS Veteran

I agree with Rich, haven't stayed at Poly but have stayed at SoG and POFQ and rooms at POFQ are significantly smaller. IMHO theming is better at POFQ than SoG (although SoG is a nice-enough place, on par w/deluxe hotels, aside from the mickey head pool and a few other touches, the theming is not very "Disney" in my opinion). We liked the option of being able to use the pool at POR, too.

The transportation issue is perhaps the bigger issue -- when we stayed at SoG, we either drove to the parks or walked across the street to the Poly to take the monorail. The good thing about POFQ is it is small and only has one bus stop. Even when you do share a bus with POR, you are the first stop. We never did take the boat to DTD from there...it just never seemed to fit in with our schedule, and it's really right around the corner, so we just drove.

8. Dizneefamily+4

Dizneefamily+4 Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!

We're coming up on our 2nd Poly stay. We've stayed at POR, POFQ, CSR, WL and Poly. While Poly will always be our fave, POFQ is a VERY close 2nd! We stayed there last Aug and fell in love. As a matter of fact, our kids were actually disappointed that we weren't staying there again this trip! It's small size makes it a very quiet resort and makes all the amenities close to each building. The boat access to DTD is great. Bus service was fabulous (in AUGUST mind you) - it is shared with POR, but the FQ is first pick-up and first drop-off. We even enjoyed food court. I truly don't think you'll be disappointed - and this is coming from a Poly lover as well!