guy at work

TwitterMouse

Mouseketeer
Someone brought a small service dog into the place I work. I talked to the dog's handler, and it was such a lovely little dog. She came through my register, and we were talking about our service dogs (mine doesn't go to work with me) and she left. This kid working with me starts bad mouthing her because she brought a dog in, and how service dogs shouldn't be allowed because someone might go into anaphylactic shock (can't spell it). He said if he'd seen her on the way in he would have not let her in. Ugh. Then he goes on about how no service dog (even seeing eye dogs!!!) should be allowed in any public place.
I got into a long speech about ADA and rights and such, and he wouldn't listen. It really, really made me angry. :(

Tell him he better never go to Alaska dogs have free run there and I don't mean service dogs. All dogs are allowed in stores, restaurants and anywhere else.

Maybe you should warn the boss that he might be getting notice from the DOJ that his store violates the ADA and have to shell out some cash because he has stupid employees.

I think possibly a manager should talk to him. It is possible that his actions in the future could lead to a lawsuit against the store and he needs to be straightened out now.

I agree that someone needs to talk with this guy. Jeez...hope that no one in his family ever has a disability.

I have a service dog and I can guarantee you if I was denied access by your co-worker I'd be calling the police on the spot and filing suit. What an idiot. It doesn't help to argue with people who think they know best...better to have them read the law. As for the OP not bringing your SD to work....one thing to remember is that if you set a precedent as not needing your dog in public, then you can be challenged legally when you do so and denied access. I'm not trying to be argumentative but there is case law to prove this and a judge could rule against you. Of course if you only use your dog in the home, then this isn't something to worry about. ---Kathy

I agree with the other posters.
The mananger should know because sooner or later that guy is probably going to deny someone entrance.

And, I have also heard about the case law that Kathy mentioned; it is something to be aware of.

I don't bring my dog to work because it's too difficult to get a job when I have a service dog with me. Every interview I went for with him I never got a call back.
I can't prove that's why I couldn't get a job, so I can't do anything about it.
I'm sorry, I'll try to post later, I'm too depressed to try and post properly now.

Surely now that you have the job, they can't fire you for bringing Pi to work? Have you tried talking to your boss about it? Maybe if you explained the situation to him or her, showed them how you would benefit from having Pi there, and how it would therefore help the company (they'll like that), they might agree to let you do so for a trial run. Just an idea.

Good luck with the whole situation, and don't let that guy get you down. His ignorance is not your problem.

I'm not the OP, but unfortunately once you've shown your workplace that you can get along without an SD then they can deny you the ability to bring your dog in the future. You get into alot of hassles then if you make the request after you've already been working...first you must fill out reams of paperwork ( usually ) to be sure you qualify under the ADA as a person who is covered by the ADA due to a disability which is substantially limiting ( I don't want to post the whole thing here...but it's very restrictive as to who is covered), then your workplace has to decide if they will allow the accomodation. If you've proven you can work without an accomodation then why should they allow you to bring your dog? This is the scenario one gets into. I'm not saying it's fair, but an employer has the right to deny a SD in this kind of situation. If the employee has a disability that's not obvious, then it's even more difficult to prove the need after the fact of being hired without one and proving ability to work without one. I can understand the OP's hesitation though after not being hired before and that kind of discrimination really is tough to deal with and to prove. I know for myself I'd have to bring my dog to the interview as I need her everywhere.---Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter