Guide to Christmas in Disney

I am enjoying this thread!
I have been to WDW plenty, but this Thanksgiving will be my first Holiday trip, and I am looking forward to all the Christmas activities!

thanks for all the info. christmas has always been my family's favorite time to to to disney. the decorations are more beautiful than any other place i know.

we always pack lite with items that can be layered. we usually are fine with tee shirts/short or long sleeves. we take enough money with us to buy a sweat shirt or light disney or dvc jacket if needed. ;) we usually want to buy one anyway so that works out fine.

i have to use a scooter because of a bad hip but am able to transfer to rides and sometimes able to stand in line. i try not to take advantage and be unfair to others but it is the only way i can go thru the parks or even make it thru the parking lots to the buses. the most embarrassing time i have with the scooter is getting in elevators. :guilty: i prefer to wait until the elevator is empty so i will not worry about running over anyone, but the kind people on the elevator keep insisting that they will be ok. i also worry about scratching the walls in the elevator.

wish i was as young as i used to be, i had many years of being able to run with the children from ride t ride and never have a problem. i am thankful for that.:)

I would make Everest your FP Ride. This is the ride you walk to immediately upon entering the park, and request a Fast Pass. If you are early enough, your FP will require you to come back within an hour or so. If it requires you to come back somewhere between 12pm-2pm, even better. Once the FP time creeps into the 3pm and later time, I would recommend checking the wait time. If the FP time is later in the day and the wait time is less than 45 minutes, I would say to wait on line. You will not see Everest or many other main rides under 45 minutes, so take advantage.

So lets assume you got to the park at rope drop. You went immediately to Mount Everest and got your Fast Pass, which requires you to return between the time of 10:30am and 11:30am. It is now 9:35am. Having securing your Fast Pass for Everest, head over to the Safari. With it still being early, I would say the wait time is between 30-45 minutes. By the time the Safari is complete, it is now around 10:30am, and time to head back to Everest. By around 11am, you have completed two of the major rides at the park.

The next move will set the tone for the rest of the day. You should head over to DinoLand and check the times for DINOSAUR. If the wait time is less than 45 minutes, go ahead and wait on line. If not, I would predict the FP time is somewhere in the mid-afternoon. Lets assume the FP time is around 3:30pm. You secure your Fast Pass, and continue to walk around DinoLand. The Primeval Whirl is a 30 minute wait, so you decide to wait and ride. After this, it is around 12:15pm, and you are getting hungry. Here is a list of the top quick service options at Animal Kingdom:
- Yak & Yeti
- Flame Tree BBQ
- Tamu Tamu Refreshments
- Restaurantosauraus
- Pizzafari

After eating, it is now around 1pm. You remember that there is a parade at 1:30pm, so you line up early and get your spot. The parade passes through around 2pm. There is still time to kill before returning for your DINOSAUR FP. I would suggest taking in a show, or seeing Its Tough to Be a Bug. The wait time for Bug is around 45 minutes, so you decide to wait. Following the show, it is now ~3:15pm. You kill some time, and at 3:30pm,, you board DINOSAUR and after the ride, youre exhausted, the kids are screaming, and its near impossible to walk around comfortably.

Now, this is how my family operates to ensure an efficient and fun time at the park. While everything sounds overly planned, it is a recipe for success. Without a plan, you wind up walking around aimlessly in the park. Then, you are discouraged when you finally find Everest and see that there are no Fast Passes left, and its a 2 hour wait.

Maybe rides are not your forte, or the reason you go to Disney. Maybe your times are better spent seeing shows, meeting the characters, or just sight seeing. If this is the case, I would recommend scheduling your day based on the more popular shows.

Festival of the Lion King is probably the most popular show at Animal Kingdom. It is a Broadway-style show that runs for 30 minutes. It usually runs every hour, beginning around 10:30am. Because it runs every hour, I would recommend getting there around 30-45 minutes early. If the line does not seem very long, you can kill some time by meeting the characters outside the show. Mickey, Minnie and all his pals are in the area, dressed in Safari gear.

Depending on your preferences, there is something for everyone at Animal Kingdom, While my family is old fashioned, and would much rather spend time at Magic Kingdom, EPCOT or Hollywood Studios, it really is a fun park.

If you have any questions about the week of Christmas, feel free to ask! Its coming up fast![/QUOTE]

I am an AK fan and think you are missing the whole idea of AK unless all you want from WDW are the rides - in which case you can go to Six Flags.. AK is one of the most heavily themed parks at WDW. From the torn prayer flags which one sees all over the real Tibet in Asia and the wonderful Asian Jungle ruins along the Maharajah Jungle Trek where, just incidentally, they have the best lion exhibit I have ever seen, to the animal and bird tracks on the paths, the theming and detail are so spot on that one could spend hours just checking out that. By missing the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail you also miss a wonderful gorilla exhibit and some of the most beautiful landscaping WDW provides as it duplicates the jungles of Africa! Try taking one of the secret Discovery Island paths around the base of the Tree of Life and check out the animal carvings you cannot see any better elsewhere in the park.
The Bird Show there is hilarious and you get up front and personal with gorgeous birds you never see in your backyard - except of course for the chickens!!! And you forgot to mention the Kali River Rapids which is a terrific ride - especially if you wear a poncho! One of my favorite things to do there is to sit at the Dawa bar with an African amber beer to watch the parade. And tusker House for breakfast is a great place to wait out your FP to EE...
One day is never enough for me to enjoy this park. And there is rarely a return on Dinosaur FP longer than an hour... If you have kids you have to let them play at the Boneyard, one of the best playscapes Disney does at WDW. If you stay in the park until it closes you can ride the headliners multiple times - though maybe not on Christmas Day... Also if you stay long enough it is getting dark the wonderful ath lanterns light up along the paths and the entire park becomes a magical escape in the jungle. So please don't think of AK as a half day park. Linger and smell the roses....:love:

I am an AK fan and think you are missing the whole idea of AK unless all you want from WDW are the rides - in which case you can go to Six Flags.. AK is one of the most heavily themed parks at WDW. From the torn prayer flags which one sees all over the real Tibet in Asia and the wonderful Asian Jungle ruins along the Maharajah Jungle Trek where, just incidentally, they have the best lion exhibit I have ever seen, to the animal and bird tracks on the paths, the theming and detail are so spot on that one could spend hours just checking out that. By missing the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail you also miss a wonderful gorilla exhibit and some of the most beautiful landscaping WDW provides as it duplicates the jungles of Africa! Try taking one of the secret Discovery Island paths around the base of the Tree of Life and check out the animal carvings you cannot see any better elsewhere in the park.
The Bird Show there is hilarious and you get up front and personal with gorgeous birds you never see in your backyard - except of course for the chickens!!! And you forgot to mention the Kali River Rapids which is a terrific ride - especially if you wear a poncho! One of my favorite things to do there is to sit at the Dawa bar with an African amber beer to watch the parade. And tusker House for breakfast is a great place to wait out your FP to EE...
One day is never enough for me to enjoy this park. And there is rarely a return on Dinosaur FP longer than an hour... If you have kids you have to let them play at the Boneyard, one of the best playscapes Disney does at WDW. If you stay in the park until it closes you can ride the headliners multiple times - though maybe not on Christmas Day... Also if you stay long enough it is getting dark the wonderful ath lanterns light up along the paths and the entire park becomes a magical escape in the jungle. So please don't think of AK as a half day park. Linger and smell the roses....:love:

I definitely see your point and in no way did I mean to make AK come off as a bad park - it isn't! My family is very much into traditional disney - the characters, Main Street, etc. For some reason, my family has failed to adopt AK as one of the parks. It truly is filled with an amazing amount of detail and attractions. I can completely see where you are coming from. I get insulted when people say there is nothing to do at EPCOT - which I am a huge fan of! To each their own, I guess!

POA: EPCOT Part 2 of 3: Drinks

I decided to break the EPCOT post up to three, rather than two. There is so much information to share for EPCOT, with the World Showcase, food, and the holiday season. To make it easier, this post will cover drinks. Next post will include Illuminations, Christmas decorations and attractions, and of course, a POA.

On the last post, I shared an overview of EPCOT and we took a tour around the world looking at the top snacks. This time, we will walk around the world and highlight the drinks. In Part 3, I will talk about Christmas decorations and attractions at EPCOT, restaurants and counter services, Illuminations, and of course, the plan of action.

Let’s start where we left off, in Canada. Now, before we begin, let’s plan. Whether you begin in Canada or Mexico, Germany will be right around the halfway mark. It is good to stop around there for a quick bite to eat (I usually carb-load with a pretzel.)

There are different ways to approach drinking around the world. You do not have to stop and drink at every country. You may pick and choose the countries, or decide based on your taste. On the day you decide to drink around the world, have a hearty breakfast. Drinking on an empty stomach can be very dangerous. Also, make sure to plan an entire day for EPCOT. That way, you can space out your drinks and not rush. Last, if you would like to drink at every country but do not feel like getting too drunk, share. Having a partner or two to share a drink with will allow you to sample drinks from around the world without over-doing it.

Beers
For those that enjoy beers, the best may be found in Canada, UK, Germany and the United States. Germany is usually the best.

Mixed Drinks
The best mixed drinks can be found in Mexico. If it is a particularly mild day, opt for a margarita from the cart. There is a cart near the end of the country where they make margaritas with Patron. I had one of these a few years ago and it was delicious. For shots and other mixed drinks, La Cava in the Pavilion serves the best in the entire World Showcase. Don’t forget to make a stop in France and Italy, as well.

Wine
The best wines are found in Italy, France, and Germany.

So let’s begin in Canada . By December, most carts are no longer serving Unibroue beer. It is “seasonal” usually served during the Wine and Food Festival. There will probably be a few different options, however. Moosehead is your “Budweiser-style” beer with a little more flavor. It comes in around 5% ABV. It’s a tasty, light option, but not worth the price. Labatt Blue is a more flavorful choice. At around $7, it still does not meet its value, but it is a better option than a Bud Light. My favorite choice, and the only beer I will drink in Canada is Trois Pistoles. At 9% ABV, it is a strong dark ale. A bottle will usually cost you $9 – $11. This is an absolute steal. Think of it like this: a bottle of Moosehead at 5% ABV costs around $7. For $2-$3 more dollars, you are getting 4% more ABV. For beer drinkers, this is a steal .

Next up is the UK . Most beer can be found near the Rose & Crown check-in. Quick tip – the beers and seating area are opposite the bathrooms. You can find the bathrooms near the popular phone booths. Bathrooms at the World Showcase only run every three or so countries. It is usually smart to make a pit stop before moving on.

Anyway, right before the Rose & Crown check-in, you can find a beer stand. Now, if you walk between the stand and the check-in and turn left, there is a small seating area where you can enjoy your drink and the view.

The beers at the UK are what you would expect – Bass Ale, Stella Artois, Guinness, and a variety of ciders. The Guinness is available in both a can and a souvenir mug.

For those that prefer a sweeter drink, you can order the Welsh Dragon, or wait for France.

Right over the bridge is France . While the World Showcase does not open until 11am, Boulangerie Patisserie opens at 9am. Here, you can get a morning pastry. The bakery also offers champagne and orange juice – just saying.

My favorite mixed drink at the World Showcase is the Grand Marnier & Grey Goose Orange Slush. They are perfectly sweetened and you do not really taste the alcohol. A tip would be to order it in a cup. You get a little more for the price and it is easier to carry around. Depending on the CM, they will do you the favor.

In truth, I’ve never stopped for a drink in Morocco. Really, I’ve never really stopped at Morocco at all. We usually pass right by it. Maybe it’s time we use this trip to explore the countries we have not seen. Casa beer is the only beer offered in Morocco, but from what I have read, Morocco is known for its mixed drinks. They also offer a coffee infused with liquor, which as a coffee lover, is right up my alley!

As you may have guessed, Japan offers sake. Hot or cold sake is the specialty in Japan, but you can also get plum wine. The Kirin Ichiban beer is pretty smooth, too!

America has a solid selection of beers. You can almost always get a Seasonal Sam Adams. If you are not from the east coast, I would recommend Yuengling. Maybe I’m biased because I went to school in Pennsylvania, where Yuengling is brewed, but I would take a Yuengling over any Budweiser product. You can get Sam Adams and Budweiser almost anywhere. Yuengling is the oldest brewing company in America and distributed predominately on the east coast.

Ah, we’ve made it to my two favorite countries. Once you hit Italy, you have a decision to make. Would you prefer a big pretzel washed down with a dark beer, or are you in the mood for pizza? Of course, I wouldn’t judge you if you chose both!

Via Napoli in EPCOT features a pizza take-out window. If you’re in the mood for pizza, go for a slice with a Peroni beer. On warmer days, go for the Limocello Italian margarita. Italy is also home to delicious wines, including sangria, Pinot Grigio, and Rosa Regali (a dessert wine). If you decide to go inside Via Napoli, you can order a Moretti La Rosa, which is a malty beer with a nutty flavor.

At Germany, you will find most of the beer once you enter the courtyard. Sometimes, they open up a beer cart as you are entering Germany (along the path) but I have not seen it open since our first Christmas trip. I love to grab a huge pretzel in Germany and a tall souvenir stein beer. We have about ten plastic EPCOT Germany steins in my house. After last year, my mom stopped allowing us to bring them home. They add to the experience, so we still get them even if we have to leave them behind. The pretzels are really hit or miss. If you get them while they are fresh out of the oven, they are heavenly. If they have been sitting for a while, however, they taste like any other pretzel. The pretzel mixes really well with a tall dark beer. You can almost always get Becks, but they will also have an Oktoberfest and a pilsner. In Germany you can also get Jagermeister or Schnapps if you like liquor (and feeling like a college kid!)

I usually skip the African outpost. It no longer counts as a country, and to be honest; it has become a waste of space. Because it no longer counts as a country, it is not a stop on our tour.

China is deceiving. Stop by the tea stand in China for some delicious alcoholic (or non-alcoholic) drinks. The Green Tea Plum Slush is a delicious alcoholic drink, and was my go-to the last time I drank around the world.

The Carlsberg in Norway is one of the better beers at the World Showcase. In recent years, some pretty good beers have popped up, but Carlsberg is still one of my favorites. It actually goes really well with a piece of School Bread, too!

Last up is Mexico. Now, if you are entering Mexico from Norway, there should be a stand on your right along the path. This cart has good but not great quality Margaritas. They are made with Patron, which acts as a bit of a tourist trap. Don’t do it. Wait and walk to the pavilion and go to La Cava Del Tequila. The Pavilion is home to some really great margaritas made fresh right before you. My favorite is the blood orange margarita, but my sister loves the avocado margarita. They also offer tequila flights and beers, such as Dos Equis.

At the end of Mexico, your journey around the world is complete. Most likely, it’s time for bed or a nap. Rest it off and get ready for tomorrow. There’s still a lot to do and plenty to see.

I just finished booking my FP+ for the week of Christmas. For those who will be at Disney World the week of Christmas, you may now book FP+ for the entire week. Initially, you were only able to book days within their respective 60-day window. As of October 28th, however, it appears that you can book every day of your trip. This helps, as I was getting a bit tired of having to remember to make the selections every day.

FP+ was a little different than I expected. I won’t go too deep into details, as there appears to be numerous threads across DisBoards, online blogs, and information on the Disney World website about Magic Bands and FP+. I will just give a quick overview as it pertains to Christmas and my experience.

Let’s start with an overview of the Magic Bands. You have around thirty days prior to check-in to customize your magic band. Customization includes personalizing your MB with your name and choosing a color (red, yellow, blue, green, pink, and I believe gray). If you do not choose a color, you will be given a generic gray one upon check-in. The last day I may customize my MB is November 23rd, with a check-in on December 24th. To check your deadline, head over to the MDE portal or check on your app.

FastPass+ is the new Fast Pass system being offered by Disney World. It has been in testing for about a year, maybe longer. FP+ allows guests (offsite and onsite) to reserve Fast Passes for up to a combination of three rides, shows, character meet-and-greets, parades and firework displays. You may only book the FP+ for one park per day. So, if you have a park hopper and want to book a FP for Everest, and then hop over to Magic Kingdom for Space Mountain and Splash Mountain, you are out of luck.

With the new FP+ comes more planning. You may begin reserving your FP+ within sixty days of your park visit. The problem is that Disney does not release the final park times and Extra Magic Hours until sometime in November, if not later. If you are anything like my family, you plan your park visits around EMH, both morning and late night.

With Christmas being such a peak time, I would advise to use the full 60-day window and book your FP+ as soon as possible. Think of FP+ like restaurant reservations. The restaurants give you a 180-day window to book your ADRs’. If you were to try and book Narcoossee’s for Christmas dinner today, you would be out of luck. It is booked solid. Think of Narcoossee’s as your Toy Story Mania, or Space Mountain. These will be the first to go.

In order to book your FP+, you need to know what park you will be in on what day. It is hard to gauge 60-days in advance, so you will need to work backwards. It would be best to print out a calendar with the days you will be visiting WDW. List all, if any, of your ADRs. If you have an ADR for lunch in EPCOT, or dinner at Magic Kingdom, you know that you will be in that respective park. Another way to plan is to use historical park hours to predict the EMH and park hours. I can tell you from experience that the Friday after Christmas always has late-night Extra Magic Hours at MK. December 30th is also a late night for many of the parks.

Now that you have an idea of what parks you will be visiting on what days, you can start to plan your FP+. When planning the FP+, think about the rides with the longest wait times. Here is a quick list of top rides and their normal Christmas week wait times:

As a result, your priority rides should be as follows:

Magic Kingdom:
- Space Mountain
- Thunder Mountain
- Peter Pan’s Flight
- Splash Mountain
- Buzz Lightyear
- Haunted Mansion
- Jungle Cruise

EPCOT
- Soarin’
- Test Track
- Mission Space

Hollywood Studios
- Rock ‘n Rollercoaster
- Tower of Terror
- Toy Story Mania

You can also strategize using the FP+. As I mentioned in a previous post, if you arrive at the parks early enough, you can get on many rides in fewer than thirty minutes. I would recommend booking your FP+ for afternoon and evening hours. This is when parks are the most crowded. So, let’s say you take advantage of the EMH at Magic Kingdom on Christmas Day. The EMH runs from 8:00am to 9:00am. If you can get to the park for 8am or a little later, you may be able to wait Standby (normal line) for Space Mountain for 30 minutes. You have already hit one major ride without using your FP+. Later in the day, you will have your FP+ for Thunder Mountain Rail Road, Dumbo and the Haunted House. What you have done is taken advantage of the standby lines when the park was not yet crowded. Later in the day, when the park is crowded and wait times exceed 60 minutes, you now have your FP+ for major rides and attractions.

Another option is to use the Park Hopper to your advantage. In this scenario, you could arrive at one park early and wait on standby for the rides. You can return to your hotel, relax a bit, and then head over to another park for your FP+. Let’s say you start your day in EPCOT. If you get there for morning EMH or rope drop, rides like Soarin’ and Test Track will most likely have wait times or 20-40 minutes, maybe less. After your morning at EPCOT, you can head to Hollywood Studios to use your FP+ on Toy Story Mania, Tower of Terror, and Rock’n’Rollercoaster.

I believe there are still standard Fast Pass machines as well, so you may be able to double-dip. This would be a huge advantage and would allow for even more combinations. I am sure this will not be around for long, so I plan on taking advantage of it while they are still available.

As far as the platform, it is certainly a bit different than I expected. To start, you must select three rides/attractions/shows/etc. If you only select two, one will be provided for you. Now, here is where the MDE and “My Reservations” becomes important. When you select the park and FP+, it makes time recommendations based on your ADRs. So, if you have an 8pm dinner reservation at Primetime Café, it will offer FP+ around this time. However, it is not very smart (just yet). It will certainly recognize your reservation at Primetime being at 8pm, but will then provide you with a FP+ of 9pm. No one can eat that fast! Fear, not. While FP+ originally locks you into the three attractions and times, you may update and pick new times for each attraction. So, if you are provided with two times that work for you, and one that does not, you should still pick that selection.

As far as the platform, it is certainly a bit different than I expected. You begin by selecting the day in which you would like your FP+ on a calendar. Next, you are prompted to select which park you would like the FP+ for, and then whom in your party the FP+ will be for. You are then brought to a page with the available selections. Select three and click “next.” You will be provided with a few different selections and combinations of FP+ times. Most will range from morning to evening.

Here is where syncing your ADRs with MDE becomes important. FP+ will actually try and build your FP+ times around your ADRs. For example, if you have an 8pm reservation for Primtime Café, some choices may be for 6pm and 7pm. Now, the system is not the smartest. While it will build your times around the ADR, it will only block off an hour for ADRs. So, if your ADR is at 8pm, your next available FP+ offered is at 9pm. No one can eat that fast!

Fear not. Every combination offered may include one or two times that do not fit your schedule. It does not mean you should not pick that selection. FP+ actually allows you to go in and change times and even experiences. So, if that 6pm-7pm FP+ for Toy Story Mania does not work, you can change it to a different time.

Having seen the platform, here are some tips for choosing FP+:

- Don’t waste your FP+ on continuously mass-loading rides. These are rides that are able to fit a large amount of people on one ride and are continuously loading. These rides include Pirates of the Caribbean, Small World, etc.

- Don’t pass up the classics. It’s easy to be blinded by Tower of Terror or Soarin’. Sure, these should be high on your list as wait times can exceed 90 minutes. However, the classics such as Peter Pan are sneakily popular. I have been to MK when Peter Pan’s wait time exceeded Space Mountain.

- Don’t waste FP+ on parades, fireworks, etc. Yes, it’s an interesting concept, but you can see the parade and fireworks from almost anywhere. You could stand on the Poly beach and see Wishes fireworks if you really wanted. What you can’t do is skip long lines. Use your FP+ for your favorite rides or those you have not yet experienced.

- Book FP+ early in the 60-day window. Especially around peak times like Christmas, your options will quickly be limited. You do not want to miss out on an awesome option like FP+.

- Combine FP+ with FP while you still can. If there are still FP machines left, why not take advantage? They will not be around for long! Theoretically, you can ride about five rides with FP and FP+ combined!

- Get to the parks early and wait on standby. Whether you are using your park hopper or spending the entire day at a park, book your FP+ for later in the day. The parks have lower wait times early in the day (especially on Christmas) and get very busy in the afternoon. If you can get to Magic Kingdom by rope drop or for morning EMH, you can ride Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain on standby and wait under 30 minutes. You can then use your FP+ later in the day for a different ride, or to ride again!

Tricks and Treats

Happy Halloween! Here's a scary thought - there is less than eight weeks until Christmas! Keeping the Halloween theme in mind, here are some tricks and treats you can expect in Disney during Christmas week and the month of December!

Tricks:
Weather: Ah, sunny Florida. Until our first Christmas trip in 2010, I had never traveled in the winter. Being from the Northeast, our winters average around 30 degrees, with some days as low as the teens and single digits. A trip to Florida in December brought a vision of warm, beach-perfect days with short sleeve shirts and shorts. At the very least, a short sleeve shirt and some jeans! My grandma, who lives in Tampa, kept warning my family of cold temperatures. We were reluctant to listen. After all, Grandma complains about it being cold when she comes up in summer. Boy, were we wrong. The first day it hit 70 degrees. The rest of the trip we had weather in the 50s with nights in the 30s!

Now, to each their own. We met a couple from Alaska during our last trip on a night when the temperature had "dipped" into the 40s. They were in heaven. We, on the other hand, were brutally cold.

You can read more in one of my first posts about the weather. But, as a rule of thumb - keep track of the weather and make your final decisions around two days before your trip. The weather in Florida is constantly fluctuating. On days where the high is above 70 degrees, you can expect a comfortable or mild night. When it does not surpass 70 degrees, or it is not sunny, expect a colder night. You must pack for many different seasons. Don't be "tricked" by a few days of 70+ degrees. It may be followed by some "bone chilling" cold!

Expecting to Do Everything If you expect to go on every ride in the park and see everything, you are only "tricking" yourself. Christmas week is the most crowded week at Disney. By planning, you can certainly accomplish a lot in the parks. However, this is not the week to see and do everything. It's Christmas week. It is more about the experience than anything else. Sure, there will be time for Space Mountain and Toy Story Mania, but you should enjoy the vacation for what it is - Disney during Christmas! Don't expect to accomplish everything, or you will find yourself exhausted and unhappy.

Arrive Early, Often: This is a trick we learned last year. We were surprised by just how empty the park was early on Christmas Day in Magic Kingdom. MK had EMH from 8am to 9am. Although we planned to arrive at 8am, we wound up getting there closer to 8:45am (so typical). As a result, we had about 15 minutes of EMH and were there for the official rope drop. We made a B-line to Space Mountain and waited about 20 minutes. In the meantime, our parents went and got Fast Passes for Buzz Lightyear. After Space Mountain, we rode our FP for Buzz Lightyear, enjoyed a Cinnamon Bun, and waited 30 minutes on Standby for Thunder Mountain. By 11am, we had rode two major rides, one big ride, and enjoyed a cinnamon bun. By 12pm, it was a madhouse and we left.

Rain, Rain, Go Away! It's easy to let rain ruin your day. After all, who wants to be stuck in the rain, right? Exactly. This is why rain is the perfect time to head TO the parks! It's Florida. It's bound to rain, but, it's also bound to stop after an hour or so. As a rule, always check the forecast and see how long the rain is set to stay around for. If it begins to rain at the park, many people will head to shows, stores, or head back to their resort. This is the perfect time to head to rides. I remember once it was pouring out. We waited a while, then jumped on a bus to Animal Kingdom. By the time we got there, it was clearing up and the park was nearly empty. We waited 20 minutes to get on Everest and had a blast. Another time, it had rained all night. MK had EMH, so when it stopped raining at 11pm, my sister and I decided to salvage the night and go to MK. It wound up being the best night of our trip, as we had the park to ourselves. We rode Thunder Mountain three times, Barnstormer about a dozen times, and enjoyed running through Main Street and taking awesome pictures!

Treats
Ghiradelli Peppermint Bark I know I've mentioned it before, but on Christmas Eve day, my family loves to head to DTD and explore the area before the parks take over our lives. Our favorite stop is the Ghiradelli store, where they offer free samples of Peppermint Bark chocolate.

Gingerbread Cupcake at Starring Rolls: I tried this last year and it was divine. With a gingerbread cake and cream cheese frosting, it's the perfect Christmas "treat".

Gingerbread!: Gingerbread houses, gingerbread cookies, gingerbread muffins, gingerbread everything! You can find life-size gingerbread houses and gingerbread displays at the Grand Floridian, Boardwalk Inn, Contemporary Resort,and Beach Club. Each offers a breath-taking display. While you cannot eat the house, they do sell Gingerbread pieces! You can also get Gingerbread cookies at many stores around Walt Disney World. Some are the traditional shape, some are Mickey-shaped!

Sugar Cookies and Lemonade If you're like my family and arrive on December 24th, you miss Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. You also miss the free cookies and cocoa! Fear not, many resorts offer free lemonade and sugar (or snickerdoodle) cookies in the lobby. It's a delicious welcome and beginning to your trip!

Peppermint or Candy Cane Ice Cream: My first trip, the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor had delicious peppermint ice cream. I am not sure if they discontinued it, or only serve it during MVMCP (until Dec. 21st), but it was not there the past two trips. I did find a candy cane gelato at Art of Animation, however, that was delicious!

Resort Decorations: Many people think of Disney and only think of the parks. The idea of touring the resorts sounds boring. Well, during Christmas, the resorts and their lobbies are fantastic. The lobbies along the monorail are gorgeously decorated (especially the Grand Floridian). Fort Wilderness is amazing . If you have the chance, take a horse and carriage ride through Fort Wilderness Campgrounds and see all the decorations. It's really cool!

Question, is it worth while to use a FP+ for Festival of the Lion King since it's an hourly show? :scratchin

Question, is it worth while to use a FP+ for Festival of the Lion King since it's an hourly show? :scratchin

This is an interesting question. On one hand, I am completely against using it for shows and/or parades and fireworks. On the other, this is a very popular show at Animal Kingdom.

Outside of Everest and the Safari, there are not many other rides that warrant a FP+. Most rides in AK, the Safari and Everest included, do not see crazy wait times during Christmas week. The only time I saw it crazy crowded was on December 26th three years ago. In all honesty though, it was right after a parade and I was in an EMV :confused3.

Back to the question though. It all comes down to what your family is looking to do. If your family rides Everest and Safari, I'd make those your two priorities. After these two, the only other ride I've seen that could have a long wait time is Primeval Whirl or DINOSAUR, but I've only seen long wait times in the afternoon. If your family prefers shows, than I'd say yes. If your family has an extra FP+ to use, I'd also say yes.

When I'd say no:
- If you're going to another park this day. If you are planning on tackling AK in the morning then heading to another park, use your FP+ for the other park. You can easily go to AK in the morning, wait on standby for Everest (~35-45 minutes), the Safari (~30-40 minutes), the Primeval Whirl (~20-30 minutes), and then see the show. AK does not have crazy wait times during Xmas week - especially in the morning. You can easily tackle the rides and shows then head off to another park that day.

If you plan on staying the whole day and your family likes rides, consider using it for the big attractions first. If you have any leftover, then go for the show.

Hope this helps!

Great advice :thumbsup2
We planned on going to AK on Christmas Day, purposely avoiding MK.
Wasn't sure what to use our 3rd FP+ on. We plan on getting there early, and doing the major rides. Tough not knowing if FP- will be available.
The level of detail in this thread is amazing. Very helpful to newbies like me ;)
Again, can't wait to read more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter