Guide Books

Discussion in 'Disney World Tips' started by LErin26, May 26, 2006.

1. LErin26

LErin26 Mouseketeer

I am new to the DIS and have just booked my 10 day stay at POFQ with my boy friend for the end of September :woohoo: . I've noticed this website is chock full of information, but is there a Disney or Orlando Guide Book that you'd recommend? Thanks!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. MisunderstoodLilo

MisunderstoodLilo DIS Veteran

I fully 100% reccommend the Passporter Guide. Passporter Guide to WDW 2006

www.passporter.com click on the store tab

It's a planner/organizer/guidebook all in one. It's got a ton of information, and tons of space to write all your notes down! I get one every year!

You'll enjoy it! Trust me!

4. KathyRN137

KathyRN137 DIS Veteran

Every year I get PassPorter Walt Disney World Resort, by Jennifer and Dave Marx. It is "a unique travel guide, planner, organizer, and keepsake." :thumbsup2 I planned four WDW trips with it before I even discovered the Dis. :disrocks:

5. Hoosier Mom

Hoosier Mom DIS Veteran

Birnbaums Official Guide is good too. Lots of info and pictures.

6. jtnsami

jtnsami DIS Veteran

:thumbsup2 I totally agree with the Passporter. I also have the Unofficial Guide to WDW. I think it goes along great as a companion to the Passporter. I never read one without the other. I ordered mine from Amazon, and got a great deal.

[​IMG]

7. ksumn1

ksumn1 DIS Veteran

I have the Passporter and I also bought Birnbaum's Walt Disney World Guide. The Passporter is a really great organizational tool and chock full of info. Birnbaums does have WDW info, but not as much or quite as detailed but it has alot of pictures. For our last trip in 2002, I bought Walt Disney World with Kids 2002 by Kim Wiley and I really love it. It really gives alot of tips and hints as well as ride reviews geared specifilly toward children. BTW, my favorite thing in the world is to go to Borders by myself, order a hot chocolate extra cream and read all the other Disney books I don't have. So go to your local bookstore, take a peek and see what book YOU like best! :teeth:

8. nowellsl

nowellsl <font color=purple>my car finds out everytime I ha

I love the Unofficial Guide to WDW. I also have the passporter which I like.

9. MickeyMonstersMom

MickeyMonstersMom DIS Veteran

At one point or another, I think I've bought every guide book to WDW in print! The ones I choose to keep buying are the Unofficial Guide (every year, whether I'm planning a trip or not!) and the Passporter (for specific trip planning). DS 8 likes the Birnbaum's For Kids, By Kids as well. Birnbaum's is nice for a quicker, more "surface-facts" treatment of WDW, but I love the in-depth information of the other two.

10. dm220

dm220 Mouseketeer

i am going in sept and purchased the birnbaums, the passporter, fodors,and the unofficial, and have read each one fully, in my opinion the unofficial guide contains the most information out of the books i have read

11. kmccain

kmccain DIS Veteran

I have seen them all and I like the passporter the best for trip planning. If you have never been before I might buy more than one but all the updates are in the Passporter.

I picked it up at my local AAA travel store for $16.88. That is cheaper than it is on thier web site and no shipping!

:tink:

12. dancin Disney style

dancin Disney style <font color=blue>I found one to share with some fa

Go to the library and borrow several books. You can skim through them to pick out one or two to read thoroughly. Also, you can do the same at a book store. Sit down in the store and skim through a few. Then chose what you want to purchase.

I like the unathorized cheapskates guide I think it is written by Lewis and Lacey.

13. ZoZo

ZoZo DIS Veteran

The Unofficial Guide to WDW is (by far) my favorite.

Birnbaum's has good general information but doesn't provide opinions (or reviews) about things. The UG is great because they spend lots of time researching things, obtaining reader input and reviews, etc.

I have never used the Passporter because it seems too bulky to me - it's really meant to be carried around with you. I do my research before I leave home and condense it down to a couple of notecards that I can carry with me in my fanny pack.

14. pezheadmeg

pezheadmeg feminsit turned fashion student

Birbaums without kids is another good one! Gives lots of pointers for an adults only trip.

15. jodistar

jodistar DIS Veteran

Passporter has always worked the best for me! :thumbsup2

16. Luvchefmic

Luvchefmic DIS Veteran

I recently discovered "Making Walt Disney World Vacation Memories" by Aronda Parks....I have now converted from a loyal Birnbaum fan to her.... hands down :goodvibes very very detailed and came with a planning CD

Ruthie

17. Sonno

Sonno Disneyologist

18. Paranoidfairy

Paranoidfairy Earning My Ears

I bought about two years ago Fodor's Walt Disney World for couples and I still use it and love. Even though some of the stuff is a little out of date because disney seems to change the rides pretty often. :wizard:

19. jpell123

jpell123 Earning My Ears

I got the Fodor's 2006 WDW/Orlando guide from the library after reading the 2006 UG and found that the UG seemed to have much better content than Fodor's.

20. Sleeping Jedi Beauty

Sleeping Jedi Beauty Jedi Knight seeking his Disney Princess

I really like the Unofficial Guide to WDW. Describes the attractions like Birnbaum's, but it also gives you touring plans and reviews. Birnbaum's is good for an overview and pictures, but it does not have very many tips on when to do what.

21. isis151miu

isis151miu Disney Fanatic

After spending an hour or so at Borders looking at all the books, I also like the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World. It's got a lot of great information in there.