Guest Assistance pass

Discussion in 'Disneyland (California)' started by pigletforever, May 28, 2008.

1. pigletforever

pigletforever DIS Veteran

Does DL have GAC passes like WDW? I have a son with Asperger's and the pass has been a saving grace in years past. I hadn't ever seen them mentinoed on this page.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. disneyfaninaz

disneyfaninaz It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

When you get to DL go directly to the City Hall and you will be able to get information on disabled guests and get a pass.

4. Chic

Chic DIS Veteran

I believe they do but you should take a doctor's note with you documenting your particular situation. I have a joint disorder in my knees which allows me a pass in WDW and I always take a doctor's note with me because my condition is not visible to the naked eye. I plan to visit Disneyland in August and will be carrying my note along. I'm actually going to call Disneyland Guest Services to make sure I bring the proper documentation along. I'll update you when I call.

5. biolabetty

biolabetty DIS Veteran

They do give them out at City Hall. Definitely bring a doctor's note, they've had to become much stricter on who gets the passes because too many people were misusing them. I stood in City Hall for about 15 minutes one day, and I heard at least 5 different groups of people requesting one, and no one got one. I'm sure if you explain why you need one, and show the note, they will give you a pass.

6. JenDisneylandlver

JenDisneylandlver DIS Veteran

I'm pretty sure they can't even ask for a doctors note. We went in with my brother and started to explain his condition, they didn't even want to know all about it. They were very nice and quickly gave us his pass.

Might depend on what you need though. My brother is in a wheel chair, so the pass was for that. I'm not sure if someone needed a pass without a wheel chair if they'd do those.

7. jenjersnap

jenjersnap yadda yadda yadda

Thanks for the info - I didn't know I'd need a doctor's note. (Haven't needed one at WDW) I will call DS' cardiologist now.

8. pigletforever

pigletforever DIS Veteran

By law (ADA and HIPPA) they can't ask for a Drs note. At WDW my son had to be with me when I asked for the pass but I have never needed a note.

We are going to Kansas next week. First time I have traveled with my son by myself. I checked with the airlines because of him needing special boarding and asked if they needed a note and I was told no because of the ADA laws.

9. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 DIS Veteran

I agree! No note needed.

10. SueM in MN

SueM in MN combining the teacups with a roller coaster Moderator

They are not allowed to ask for a doctor's note or any other proof of a disability as a requirement to get a GAC (Guest Assistance Card).

That is part of the ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act) which says proof can't be required to get accomodation for needs related to a disability.
    People think HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) is involved, but HIPAA has to do with how health providers share your health information. You can share it with anyone you want to. The reason that Disney doesn't want the information is that it's not helpful. They need to know your limitations and/or needs related to your disability, not your diagnosis.

If you check out the disABILITIES FAQs thread on the disABILITIES Board, you will find information about GACs. The information was written about WDW, but CMs at DL have said it is basically the same there.

11. Juliah

Juliah DIS Veteran

We are at Disneyland and were refused a guest assistance pass yesterday. The two families in front of us at City Hall were also refused. The only card I saw given out was one that allowed a stroller to be used as a wheelchair (that is, they could take the stroller into lines). Our two DD's have severe physical disabilities, difficulty with temperature control, sensitivity to the sun, diabetes...I could go on and on. When I mentioned the sun, I was told to get an umbrella for each of them. That makes an amusing picture--helping them drive their power chairs through the crowds while also holding umbrellas and not poking anyone's eyes out?

I'm confused as to what circumstances they give the cards for at Disneyland.

12. SueM in MN

It's supposed to be the same as at WDW (as described in the GAC information in the disABILITIES FAQs thread).
    How things work at the attractions is a little different than at WDW because the attractions are older and have less space for people to wait anywhere. That creates one of the problems with GACs at DL and is one of the reasons they are 'careful' (for want of a better word) at handing them out. In the past, they often ended up with so many people in the 'special needs' lines that those lines had waits equal to or even greater than the regular standby lines had. So, if you needed a wheelchair accessible entrance, you had no choice but to wait there. If you needed a quieter, less crowded line, the one you got using a GAC was no better (or even worse) than just going in the Standby line.
    With children using wheelchairs, they would need to use the wheelchair accessible entrances (whatever those are for a particular attraction), so some of the other things your children needed might not have been available in the accessible entrance.
    If you have needs that are not being addressed, you can also ask to speak to a supervisor. It may be that they don't have anything available that meets those needs, but at least you will have gone as far with it as you could.

13. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Mouseketeer

Usually, this is in my experience, if you have a wheelchair you don't need a GAC. You just go through the wheelchair entrance which is usually an exit or seperate entrance than standby. Both my husband and son gets a GAC at DL. You just need to explain your concerns as to why you feel you need one. They don't just hand them to anyone because they are being abused. Also the wheelchairs are being abused sometimes. You see a group of teens go in renting wheelchairs and asking each other who goes first. So in that case, in my opinion, the wheelchair is being abused. But they know that when the have the chair they don't have to go through the main stand by line.

14. lisadoll93

lisadoll93 DIS Veteran

We get one for DS, he has autism. I just bring the one the last trip and him to City Hall.

The biggest help for us was the stroller as a wheelchair. It is not a front of the line pass, there were times when we had to wait longer.

15. lisadoll93

lisadoll93 DIS Veteran

sorry hit reply by mistake

16. lillibet123

lillibet123 Mouseketeer

I am wondering about this "stroller as a wheelchair situation". DS (5 years old) has a disability and we were hoping to avoid bringing his wheelchair, and just use a stroller for him. His disability is "obvious" and we were also wondering about using wheelchair exits for rides as he would need to remain in his stroller (he can only stand for brief amounts of time).

17. SueM in MN

Just go to Guest Relations and explain his needs.
    At WDW, they have been using a sticker-tag that goes on the stroller - I think for people who have that as their only need. There is also a stamp for the GAC that says stroller as wheelchair, but if the only need is to use the stroller in lines, it's easier to just have the tag.
    I think (but am not sure) that they are using the same system at DL.

Another thing to think about - for the rides that have a wheelchair accessible ride car - the stroller may not be able to go on those because of size or how low he would sit (too low to see out). If the wheelchair is a standard size (i.e. less than 48 inches long) he should be able to stay in the wheelchair for those.

18. samkj

samkj <font color=purple>I LOVE changing them for the ho

I advise bringing his own wheelchair. It will be much more comfortable for him. We've been bringing our daughter's chair since she was three(now 10). It just is so much easier for her to get comfortable and relax in her own chair since it is specially fit just for her. The long days sitting in a stroller may get exhausting since he won't have the support he is used to.

To the person refused the GAC, since your daughter is already using a chair, then you really shouldn't need it at the parks. The majority of the accessible entrances are indoor so the sunlight shouldn't be an issue.
    What kind of accomodations do you need? If your needs aren't being met, then definitely talk to someone higher up.

19. jencav5

jencav5 Mouseketeer

In my experience with my Autistic son, both WDW & DL have worked the same for us in getting the GAC. They seem to treat Asperger's the same as Autism-my friend's son has Asperger's. You will not need a doctor's note, as others have mentioned. Just go about everything the same way you do at WDW. I also always bring in my old GAC and "exchange" it. If you still have an old one from WDW, that will probably work. It also helps them to just copy your name, etc... Also, if you haven't already done this at WDW, they can write the pass for multiple dates, so you don't have to go back everyday of the trip. :)