Grumpy Challenge 2017.... A Marathon Weekend TR (Updated 3/19 Final Thoughts)

I love all of your Tusker House pictures!! I've never done Tusker House, but it looks like a grat character meal!

The tree awakening looks great. I think that's probably one of those things that you pictures don't do it justice. I guess I'll have to go see it eventually ...

I think you had a great attitude towards the cancellation. Obviously, it was disappointing that you didn't get to run the race as planned. But a lot of people really made the best of a bad situation (as did runDisney), and I think it's great that you were able to stay positive about the situation!

I love all of your Tusker House pictures!! I've never done Tusker House, but it looks like a grat character meal!

The tree awakening looks great. I think that's probably one of those things that you pictures don't do it justice. I guess I'll have to go see it eventually ...

I think you had a great attitude towards the cancellation. Obviously, it was disappointing that you didn't get to run the race as planned. But a lot of people really made the best of a bad situation (as did runDisney), and I think it's great that you were able to stay positive about the situation!
Thanks! I recommend it!

Definitely see it along with the other nighttime stuff at AK.

At some point you need to learn its for the best and to move on. Disney also didn't have to do what they did. It was handled very well all around.

It was an interesting weekend but I will cover it all hopefully. Thanks for following along!

Thanks!

Thanks! Are you doing a TR? I'd love to hear about your trip.

Oh man thanks @MommaoffherRocker now I'm going to binge read this TR
@rteetz we are looking at lots of the same threads ....Maaaybe because you're a moderator. Or because so many of us are awesome and choose fantastic disboards threads.

Arrival Day! My first time at Saratoga Springs...

We departed from Milwaukee at 6:00AM which meant we had to get up around 3-3:30AM. This would not be the last time we or at least I get up that early on this trip. We were at the airport by 4:30AM. I prefer an early flight because it means you can have the whole day in front of you.

Our flight was uneventful except for the fact that we were on an old plane with no wifi... We fly Southwest, and while their wifi doesn't give you a lot they usually have a flight tracker and TV stations you can watch. None of that since there was no wifi. I did have a back up though! I downloaded two movies on my phone, Monsters Inc. and Wreck it Ralph. I decided on Monsters Inc. on the way down.

There was a total of 12 in the group I was traveling with. 4 from my family and then 8 friends of ours.

After some De-icing we were in the air and watching this awesome sunrise.

Soon enough we were landed in Orlando!

MCO Christmas tree was still up when we arrived.

My Mom, and a few of our friends went to get a rental car for the week. Four of the friends in our group would be going on a cruise starting Friday. The rest of us went to the Magical Express.

When we arrived our room was not ready since it was around 9:30AM. We checked our bags for now until our room was ready. My mom and DVC owner friend Wendy went to the grocery store and Disney outlet to pick up a couple things for the week. The rest of us ventured to Disney Springs!

We would be visiting the Boathouse later in the week...

Paddlefish construction

This is my first time seeing Disney Springs mostly finished. The Springs looked awesome!

Continued in the next post...
I love your group already!!! Momma of 5 and DH and I have "braved" WDW twice with all and DLR once with all. We live in ND so I hear you on the group travel and early as...Can be flights!

I'm looking forward to seeing Awakenings for the first time in a couple of weeks. It sounds so great!

Glad you enjoyed Tusker House - we've only done breakfast but it is one of our favorites ... probably my favorite character breakfast buffet

The tree of life awakenings is really awesome, and you are right that pictures don't do it justice

I am still really bummed for you that the 1/2 got cancelled - not Disney's fault or anything just unfortunate. I do admire you for being able to see the positive in how Disney handled it

Must have been a hard decision to try to run with the others "unofficially" or not - I can understanding looking back and wishing you did, but at the same time if something went wrong (you twisted an ankle due to raid) or just that it negatively impacted you running the Full then you would have wished you hadn't gone.

Glad you enjoyed Tusker House - we've only done breakfast but it is one of our favorites ... probably my favorite character breakfast buffet

The tree of life awakenings is really awesome, and you are right that pictures don't do it justice

I am still really bummed for you that the 1/2 got cancelled - not Disney's fault or anything just unfortunate. I do admire you for being able to see the positive in how Disney handled it

Must have been a hard decision to try to run with the others "unofficially" or not - I can understanding looking back and wishing you did, but at the same time if something went wrong (you twisted an ankle due to raid) or just that it negatively impacted you running the Full then you would have wished you hadn't gone.
Tusker House is a lot of fun.

The half was something Disney had never done before. I hope they never have to go through that again.

Yep, on the bright side I get to do Dopey again in 2018.

I love Tusker House!

I wasn't scheduled to run the half, but my finace was. I really think Disney made the right call by cancelling. The weather would have been fine by the time the race started, but I would have been worried about the cast members working overnight to set everything up. The thunder actually woke me up a few times that night.

I love Tusker House!

I wasn't scheduled to run the half, but my finace was. I really think Disney made the right call by cancelling. The weather would have been fine by the time the race started, but I would have been worried about the cast members working overnight to set everything up. The thunder actually woke me up a few times that night.
Yes I agree they made the right decision. Hopefully there is good weather next year.

I love this purple dragon but he does a much better ride. I wish I would've gotten to experience the original.
They so need to bring back the original Journey Into Imagination. The 2nd version was worse than the current 3rd version though without Figment at all for sure.

The Soarin' distortion is strange & something you think they could have avoided, but it doesn't bug me as bad as my mom, she just can't get over how bad it is.

I love Tuskers, I preferred it as quick service but it is a really good buffet, just loud I think since it wasn't originally meant for the buffet setting.

It's so hard knowing how I would have handled the half cancellation since I wasn't part of it. I was so sad for you all though as it totally sucked, but good call on their part & a mickey bar is a great way to drown your sorrows!!! Mickey shaped makes everything better!

They so need to bring back the original Journey Into Imagination. The 2nd version was worse than the current 3rd version though without Figment at all for sure.

The Soarin' distortion is strange & something you think they could have avoided, but it doesn't bug me as bad as my mom, she just can't get over how bad it is.

I love Tuskers, I preferred it as quick service but it is a really good buffet, just loud I think since it wasn't originally meant for the buffet setting.

It's so hard knowing how I would have handled the half cancellation since I wasn't part of it. I was so sad for you all though as it totally sucked, but good call on their part & a mickey bar is a great way to drown your sorrows!!! Mickey shaped makes everything better!
I think an updated original would be a great ride.

I'm glad we got the middle so we didn't have bad distortion.

I don't find it as loud as some other places.

Yes I agree Mickey shaped anything is better!

We say goodbye and head to the Magic Kingdom

We all slept in on Saturday. My Mom, and the majority of my group would be leaving today. For the rest of the trip is would just be my grandma, sister, and I. When we finally got moving we went to Artist Palette and got breakfast. I got the bounty platter and everyone else got various items. Runners were everywhere it was amazing. We decided to head to Disney Springs for a bit that morning before they had to leave.

We took the boat over and noticed there were runners everywhere at Disney Springs too! It made me feel awesome to be part of the running community and really made me regret not running but it is what it is at that point.

I wonder why people would buy this? I mean its awesome but $37,500 is a lot of money.

Here is a look at the intel drones up close. Much smaller than I expected.

After a little shopping we headed back as my mom and the others had to get on the Magical Express. We said our goodbyes and headed our separate ways.

We were heading to the Magic Kingdom today. When at the bus stop we noticed something in the water. It wasn't something I had ever seen in the wild before. An Otter was swimming in the pond!

After that eventful morning we were on the bus to the Magic Kingdom.

I wore the 20th Anniversary Half Marathon luggage tag around the 10K medal in honor the cancelled race.

We went into Tomorrowland but didn't do anything there. We ended up going on the Barnstormer. My grandma sat this one out.

My sister and I then went on the Mad Tea Party another one my grandma sat out.

Over by Gaston's we got popcorn and a Mickey bar I believe.

Next up was Under the Sea Journey of the Little Mermaid.

We had a FP for Big Thunder next. The Wildest Ride in the Wilderness!

Front row too!

After Big Thunder it was nearing 4PM and I decided I needed to get off my feet. I left my grandma and my sister at MK where they were going to meet up with cousins of ours who were on their first Disney trip.

I headed over to the Contemporary take a break.

I bought a vinylmation at the Contemporary gift shop and then headed over to the Poly where I would just sit in the lobby and people watch.

I waited there until it was close to our 6:30 Whispering Canyon ADR.

Up Next: We need ketchup!

So cool that you saw an otter swimming. That's so cute!

Sounds like a nice, low-key day in MK. I love your Little Mermaid pictures - that's always a hard ride to photograph, and your pictures came out great!

So cool that you saw an otter swimming. That's so cute!

Sounds like a nice, low-key day in MK. I love your Little Mermaid pictures - that's always a hard ride to photograph, and your pictures came out great!
It was really cool! My sister was especially excited.

Little mermaid is always hard to photograph, probably due to the lighting. Thanks!

Congrats on the 5K and to your mom for her first!
:cheer2:

The picture with Dopey is great! Too bad there were so many long lines for characters.

You had an incredible day at Animal Kingdom!

I'm glad that the trails are open again at the Tree of Life- we used to love getting so close to the tree and walking the uncrowded paths.

Your pictures from The Lion King are fabulous!!! Great closeups. It is such an incredible show.

Food from Harambe Marketplace looked yummy. We haven't gotten food from there.

It was nice to get together with everyone again after the young ones ran the mile.

Several outstanding pictures from the safari, but I think my favorite is the one of your sister. Really nice shot! But the rhino eating grass and the crocodile with its mouth open are tied for second and third for me. .

Yay for Dinosaur and Everest!!!

:dogdance:

Congrats on the 5K and to your mom for her first!
:cheer2:

The picture with Dopey is great! Too bad there were so many long lines for characters.

You had an incredible day at Animal Kingdom!

I'm glad that the trails are open again at the Tree of Life- we used to love getting so close to the tree and walking the uncrowded paths.

Your pictures from The Lion King are fabulous!!! Great closeups. It is such an incredible show.

Food from Harambe Marketplace looked yummy. We haven't gotten food from there.

It was nice to get together with everyone again after the young ones ran the mile.

Several outstanding pictures from the safari, but I think my favorite is the one of your sister. Really nice shot! But the rhino eating grass and the crocodile with its mouth open are tied for second and third for me. .

Yay for Dinosaur and Everest!!!

:dogdance:
Thanks!

Lines were crazy!

I had never done the trails before and knowing they were open made me really want to check them out.

I could watch FOTLK every day.

I love taking photos of the safari. You can get some really good ones.

I have never seen an otter at the park. Cool! I already miss the parks all decorated up for the holidays:( I think we'll be able to them again after the Wine & Dine in November. I could go for a Mickey bar right now too, or basically anything sweet. I haven't had any carbs for 3 weeks now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter