Greetings From England – The Brits Are Back!! **COMPLETED 07/05**

Discussion in 'Disney Dining Reviews' started by Linda67, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Linda67

Linda67 Has a Masters in Margaritas

:welcome: thanks for reading along
    WCC review coming right up !!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Tar1Girl

Tar1Girl Earning My Ears

I have a question. You said that you bought refillable mugs. Where can these be used and how much are they?

Thanks.

Coming in July!

4. Linda67

Monday May 16th 2011

Today we had an early start as we were taking the Backstage Magic Tour so I grabbed a quick coffee and snack from Roaring Fork

[​IMG]

Cranberry Scone From Roaring Fork

This was delicious and extremely fresh. I always found the bakery items at RF to be of wonderful quality :thumbsup2

We met our tour guides at Epcot at 8.30am and were soon starting what turned out to be a very enjoyable day

Lunch at Whispering Canyon Café was included as part of the tour and our driver dropped us off at Wilderness Lodge at around 12.15

Our tables were ready and waiting and the whole tour group settled into their seats as our servers introduced themselves and took our drink orders

Shortly before our drinks arrived we were treated to this

[​IMG]

Corn Bread and Coleslaw

The corn bread was wonderful and I could have easily eaten the whole thing!

Our drinks arrived as we were munching on the corn bread, a coke for DH and a Pomegranate Lemonade for me

[​IMG]

Pomegranate Lemonade

I made a mental note to order this drink elsewhere as I really enjoyed it but somehow I never got round to it

When we checked in for the tour in the morning we were all asked if anybody had any dietary restrictions and soon after our drinks arrived the chef appeared to check if I would like to try the trout as everyone else was having the pre-arranged meal that comes with the tour.

It sounded wonderful so I happily said yes

It wasn’t long before our entrees arrived.

The whole of our tour group were presented with several dishes of the following:

[​IMG]

The Canyon Skillet
    All You Care To Enjoy; Smoked Pork Ribs, Oven-roasted Chicken, and Pork Sausage served with Cowboy Beans, Corn on the Cob, Creamy Coleslaw, Mashed Potatoes, and Fresh-baked Cornbread

DH absolutely loved this, he couldn’t fault anything on the plate and tells me that the ribs were tender, the chicken crispy and not at all greasy, flavourful sausage and all of the accompaniments were great to. Everything was hot and fresh

And here was my lunch

[​IMG]

Whisky Maple-Glazed Trout - on a bed of Arugula-Frisée Salad

This was sensational, the whisky maple glaze was devine and I wish I had asked for the recipe. The salad was fresh and the dressing was the perfect partner to the trout.

It was a simple dish but perfectly executed :cloud9:

We couldn’t stop raving about our meal at WCC all week (and still cant)

But hold your horses cowboys (and girls) the best is yet to come :banana:

[​IMG]

Peach and Strawberry Cobbler at WCC

This was just AMAZING !!!!

Several of these beauties were placed along the various tables and as there were only three of us at our table (myself, DH and one of our tour guides) we seemed to end up with more than most :yay:

All three of us joked about having to show some restraint as this was clearly meant for at least 4 or 5 people but boy it was so good we couldn’t stop eating it

Apparently there is a different type of cobbler on the regular menu and this is only served for tour groups. Well let me tell you they should get this added to the menu right away as it was truly delicious :worship:

Very full and very happy we headed back out to the bus and continued our tour

Whispering Canyon Cafe was a huge hit with both of us and we really enjoyed our lunch. The servers were a delight and everthing was so tasty and fresh it still stands out as one of the best meals of our trip

Coming Up Next .................... Chip N Dale And Our First Ever S'mores :)

5. dizneeat

dizneeat DIS Veteran

And yet another great review!

I am glad to hear that you liked the Backstage Magic Tour - it's great isn't it?

And I am surprised to read that they changed the lunch location for the tour! We had lunch at Mama Melrose and it was real good too!

Now, I would have SO loved to try your dish as well! That trout looks devine - just up my street and I am not a vegetarian!

And that cobbler has me drool all over my keyboard! Yum, yum, yum!

6. Linda67

Hello there :goodvibes
    The refillable mugs can be purchased at each of the WDW resorts and can only be used at the resort from which you purchased it for the duration of your stay (you can't use them in the parks)
    You buy them at your resort's quick service location/food court and if I remember correctly they cost $14.95
    We stayed at WL for two weeks so they were wonderful value for us. We used them for coffee, soda and hot chocolate every evening before bed :cloud9:
    Hope this helps

7. EKW

EKW DIS Veteran

You were so lucky to get the trout! I ordered that on our last visit...and, without asking me, they subbed in the kiddie salmon as they were out of trout.

The dish looks delicious...I'll have to book lunch next time so, hopefully, they won't be out of trout for the day by the time we get there!

8. Linda67

Thanks Karin :goodvibes
    I have a real craving for something sweet right now :surfweb:
    Oh what I would give for some of that cobbler :rolleyes:

9. DancinDaisyDuck

DancinDaisyDuck Nothing left for me to do but dance

Woa mama! Those waffles look awesome! I am also quite intrigued by the avocado margarita. Two of my favorite things in one drink? Yes, please. But, it seems to me it might taste like frozen guacamole. Did it?

MMMmmm, I had an awesome meal at Tangerine Cafe as well on my last trip and it was probably the best thing I ate the entire time! Didn't try the Baklava but I am sorry yours wasn't that great. The caramel corn is always a good decision though!

I am sorry Le Cellier wasn't all you thought it would be. I agree with you about the hype. I've only been there once in 2007 for dinner and I thought it was very yummy but nothing that I couldn't get at a local upscale-ish steak house at home. In fact, the meal was so heavy I didn't even want any of their signature desserts and just got sorbet.

So glad you liked Whispering Canyon! I am dying to try this place on my next trip. The canyon skillet looks incredible.

I am really looking forward to reading more reviews and drooling over the pictures!

10. mamaboogie

mamaboogie DIS Veteran

Yummy!!:cloud9:

That trout at Whispering Canyon - it looks delicious!:cloud9: I've only ever had the skillet there.

And as for the cobbler! It looks so delicious - and huge!

Loving your reviews!:thumbsup2

11. JoJo66

JoJo66 Earning My Ears

Loving the new look of the refillable mugs :yay::yay: and "Oh My" !! that cobbler looks soooo good !!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. saintstickets

saintstickets DIS Veteran

DW and I also did the Backstage Magic Tour when we were at WDW the week after Thanksgiving last year. We were supposed to have lunch at WDW but they were filming the Christmas parade so we ate at Whispering Canyon as well. It was great!! How about that tour? Did you get to go see the Utilidoors? We really enjoyed the trip too. Keep the great TR coming!!

13. PrincessBetsy

PrincessBetsy "It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

Yummmmm, I love Whispering Canyon!! Glad you had such a good experience there. That cobbler looks heavenly :cloud9: I definitely wish they would add that to the regular menu!

14. Linda67

Monday May 16th 2011

Once our Backstage Magic Tour was over, we headed back to the WL to spend some time at the pool

Whilst at the pool I grabbed one of these from the Trout Pass Pool Bar

[​IMG]

Grand Margarita

They mix a really good margarita at this bar and the bar tenders were lots of fun :thumbsup2

We didn’t have any ADRs for tonight so decided to just go with the flow and see where we ended up

I sat on our balcony writing some post cards home whilst DH showered and after I had showered we decided to head down to the boat dock and make our way over to Fort Wilderness

I loved being able to jump on the boats at WL, such a relaxing journey and the weather was beautiful :cloud9:

We knew exactly where to head ……….. The Chip ‘n’ Dale Campfire Sing-along

I had read about this on the DIS and it seemed like a fun way to spend an hour and I was curious to know what a S’mores was!

Yep, I had no idea what they were :laughing:

It’s just not something we do in England, I’ve had toasted marshmallows before but that’s about it

We headed over to the Chuck Wagon to pick up our kit and stood back for a while whilst we worked out what to do

[​IMG]

S’mores Kit

The more observant of you may have noticed that a Bud Light managed to jump into the photo whilst I wasn’t paying attention :rolleyes1

OK, stand back, we’re going in ....................

[​IMG]

And here’s the result!

[​IMG]

Some rather large rodents tried to steal my culinary masterpiece but I was having none of it

[​IMG]

'You aren't having any Chip'

[​IMG]

'And neither are you Dale'

For those who haven’t heard of this event before, it runs pretty much every night over at Fort Wilderness and is free of charge. You can bring your own marshmallows etc with you or you can buy supplies at the Chuck Wagon

There is little show on the stage with a cowboy country singer and people have a lot of fun singing and dancing along, especially the kids

At the end of the show Chip ‘n’ Dale walk around for photos and they show a Disney movie on the outdoor screen

We loved our time at FW and the S’mores were delicious :)

Coming up next ………………… Back On The Boat And Over To The Contemporary

15. Linda67

The server told me that the Trout is on the lunch and dinner menu :thumbsup2
    I can't believe they switched to salmon without asking :sad2:

Thanks for reading :goodvibes
    It's really hard to describe the taste of the avacado margarita but it was lovely and creamy and just worked on every level :cloud9:

Thanks Shari :goodvibes
    Another review coming right up

We loved the refillable mugs. DH drinks soda all the time so he thought it was great getting a top up whenever he wanted and great value on a two week trip.
    I loved getting hot chocolate before bed :cloud9:

We loved Whispering Canyon and really hadn't been expecting to. I would love to go again for dinner

I think that DH has mentioned that cobbler everyday since we got home :laughing:

16. TanzUnited99

TanzUnited99 DIS Veteran

The food at WCC looks yummy! That dessert!! I can imagine not knowing when to stop when eating that cobbler - it looks divine! :cloud9:

Am glad you enjoyed the camp fire sing-along - looks like fun! I also do not have much of a clue about S'mores apart from the pics I have seen on here. Do they have gelatine in them? I know marshmallows do so am guessing these would as well. If so I would not be able to eat them anyway :sad2:

17. mamaboogie

mamaboogie DIS Veteran

That Campfire singalong looks great! I wouldn't know where to start with s'mores!

How dare Chip and Dale try to steal your food?:lmao:

18. Linda67

It took a strong will not to use two spoons on that cobbler :laughing:

I know, they may look cute but there is an evil side :rotfl:

19. Linda67

Monday May 16th 2011

Fuelled by far too much sugar :hyper: we headed to the Fort Wilderness boat dock and decided to hop on the next boat which was heading to the Contemporary

We wandered around the resort for a while before heading to the Contempo Café for a bite to eat

This was another new quick service location to us.

It was really empty and there was probably only one other occupied table in the whole place

We hadn’t used the dining plan on previous trips and got a little bit confused by the touch screen ordering :confused:

Thanks goodness there was nobody behind us :laughing:

Here is what we ended up with;

[​IMG]

Contempo Café – Cheese Flatbreads, Chilled Sesame Bean Salad & Fries

[​IMG]

Side Salads & Drinks

We had the side salads instead of a dessert but didn’t realise that Flatbreads don’t come with a side in the same way that sandwiches and burgers do so basically we ordered far too much food!

The lovely CM rang it through as 1 CS credit each even though we insisted on paying for the side orders but he wouldn’t take our money :goodvibes

On a side note, we found pretty much every CM we came across on this trip to be wonderful

On to the food; the Flatbreads were delicious and are cooked fresh to order, or at least they are when the restaurant is as empty as it was.

I enjoyed the sesame beans but couldn’t resist stealing a few of DHs fries which were excellent

Neither of us wanted dessert following our marshmallow feast so subbing for a salad was a great accompaniment to the Flatbreads (the cupcakes did look good though :lovestruc)

I enjoyed the Contempo Café but can imagine it gets very noisy at peak times but we loved sitting there watching the monorail role by

Just as we headed out of the Contemporary, Wishes started so we stood by Bay Lake Tower to watch the free show :cloud9:

We headed to the boat dock to catch a boat back to WL and found Peter Pan standing on the dock with a lantern ………. only in Disney!

Coming Up Next ……………It’s Cupcake Time!

20. PrincessBetsy

PrincessBetsy "It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

The campfire looks like so much fun! I can't believe you had never had a s'more before, but I must say yours did turn out quite well!

We went to the Contempo Cafe on our last trip and I thought it was a great counter service option right near the Magic Kingdom.

Haha! I love Peter Pan! :lovestruc

21. mamaboogie

mamaboogie DIS Veteran

Yum! Your food from Contempo Cafe looks lovely!

You are really going to new places for me - very exciting!:)