Great unknown tips or secrets!

outahere said:
The only table service provided at PC, during the embarkation lunch, are the drinks. Everything else is serve yourself at the buffet.

And you do have other choice - the fast food windows up by the pool are available as well.

There is not a sit down waiter service option the first day and I don't believe that room service is available.

You can order PB&J Sandwiches (the "uncrustable" types at the grocery store) and Mickey Ice Cream Bars from room service even though the are not on the room service menu.

Steve

What a great thread. I will have to make sure I bring some baby powder. I hate having sand on my feet!

I've also heard a good tip on getting rid of sand...pack a new 3-4 inch wide paint brush in your bag. You can wisk it all away before getting your shoes full of sand...

Can't think of anything specific right now. Great tips so far!!! :thumbsup2

This really isn't a tip, but just wanted to say.. Don't feel guilty about leaving your kids in the Oceaneers club/lab... they will beg you to go and will not want to leave.

My DS7 had so much fun that he said he wants to go again, but he wants me to leave him in the club longer (he doesn't know we're going next year, but still talks about it all the time).

Jen76b said:
This really isn't a tip, but just wanted to say.. Don't feel guilty about leaving your kids in the Oceaneers club/lab... they will beg you to go and will not want to leave.

My DS7 had so much fun that he said he wants to go again, but he wants me to leave him in the club longer (he doesn't know we're going next year, but still talks about it all the time).
Thanks...I was actually a bit concerned with that. Hubby and I get so little alone time and we were looking forward to some of it during the evening hours. Then my mommy complexes kick in....LOL!

But I know they'll love it. :)

If you're into serious swimming/snorkeling, remember a t-shirt to put over your swimsuit. On my first cruise, I had a nasty burn on my back--hard to reach for sunscreen repeat applications and this is the part that was up while snorkeling! I still keep that shirt as my snorkeling shirt!

stinkerbell_&_Co said:
Thanks...I was actually a bit concerned with that. Hubby and I get so little alone time and we were looking forward to some of it during the evening hours. Then my mommy complexes kick in....LOL!

But I know they'll love it. :)
Also along this line -- kids can also go eat luch & dinner with the kids club. On our last cruise, we'd stop off at the Club to pick up DD (4 at the time) and then head to dinner (late seating). She never wanted to leave the Club and didn't end up eating much with us at dinner.

For our upcoming November cruise, DD (now 5) has said many times that she wants to eat ALL meals with the kids! While we know THAT isn't going to happen, it's nice to know we have the opportunity to have a couple meals alone if that's we want.

I always hated the knots in my hair after getting out of the salt water for excursions because you often have awhile before you can get to fresh water and yanking them out just hurts. Someone told me to carry a little detangler with me around salt water - it works great.

poohs4me said:
I always hated the knots in my hair after getting out of the salt water for excursions because you often have awhile before you can get to fresh water and yanking them out just hurts. Someone told me to carry a little detangler with me around salt water - it works great.
MENTAL NOTE!! GET DETANGLER!!!! THANKS FOR THE TIP!!

My two favorite "tips."

The first is, do NOT feel stupid when you can't open your veranda door. Studies have shown that 67% of DCL cruises have to have their stateroom host show them how the door works. Of the ones that do manage to open it by themselves, 22% spent 10 or more minutes figuring it out. (hint, it swings and there is a lock on top that twists).

The second is that when you are looking and your really big luggage and remembering that someone said "stick it under the bed" and you start thinking "everyone else has skinnier luggage than I do" - lift the corner of the bed. They are really light and your bags will slide right under.

Jen76b said:

My tip would be the opposite, don't COUNT on your kids loving the club. Some kids you can't drag out, others you need to bribe in order to get to your Palo reservation.

My daughter is the first kind. She is planning her days around "can I spend all day in the club?" We had to carry a sleeping kid out last trip. My son wants to do one or two club things, but hang with his mom and dad. Last trip we would get paged as soon as whatever activity he was interested in ended.

I'm not a strong swimmer but love to snorkel. The vests that are provided on CC are not enough to keep me afloat, so I pack a small kickboard (flat, doesn't take up too much room). I jam it under the front of the vest and I can float around all day long without tiring.

:beach:

Don't pre-plan too much, because once you are on the ship you most likely will find other things you'd rather do.

1) We didn't book Palo in advance, which was fine because we never had time to go.

2) We never got a chance to swim on board, too busy doing other things. Some folks pack multiple swimsuits, we only swam on Castaway Cay.

3) ALWAYS carefully read the Navigator, as veteran cruisers on other lines we were caught off guard that the shows are BEFORE late seating dinner.

4) Don't count on your kids wanting to go to the clubs. Be prepared to be together 24/7. This was our kids second cruise, so we knew they would prefer the "adult" activities to the kids clubs. It was a week for DW and I to be our kids friends, not "Mom and Dad".

crisi said:
My tip would be the opposite, don't COUNT on your kids loving the club. Some kids you can't drag out, others you need to bribe in order to get to your Palo reservation.

My daughter is the first kind. She is planning her days around "can I spend all day in the club?" We had to carry a sleeping kid out last trip. My son wants to do one or two club things, but hang with his mom and dad. Last trip we would get paged as soon as whatever activity he was interested in ended.

I agree...I was totally surprised that neither of my girls were very thrilled with the clubs. We were almost late for our Palo reservation because we had to practically beg our younger DD to stay at the club. I felt bad but I wasn't missing Palo!!! So my tip is staying as flexible as possible as you just never know what's going to happen.

Some nights fun events (such as my personal favorite kareoke) start around 9:30. If you have late seating, it means you'd normaly have to pick between either food or singing. However! If you ask the waiters to expedite service the night before, they can actually give you the menus and have your food prepared for when you arrive. This way, you get both wonderful food and singing.

I'm implementing one I heard here right now....divide your families clothes between bags in case one gets lost. I have underwear for everyone spread between bags, casual clothes and dress up clothes spread between bags, swimsuits. If you see me in the same outfit for dinner all the time, one of the bags got lost, but at least I won't be wearing my husband's underwear.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter