Gratuity added to Rainforest Day Pass?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by MsJiminyCricket, Jun 23, 2014.

1. MsJiminyCricket

MsJiminyCricket Motley Cruise Vet

I was just on the phone with DCL trying to pre-order a day pass for the Rainforest Room and they want to add 18% gratuity. They have never done this in the past as I've purchased these for years when we sail. I can't understand why they'd add 18% on to a self-service activity. Any thoughts?

Will it cost more for me to purchase a day pass when I'm actually on the ship?:confused3

Thanks.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. PrincessShmoo

PrincessShmoo DIS Veteran

The auto-gratuity was just added recently (like in the last year) on all spa/salon services. I'm guessing not enough people were tipping the staff there. It's a private company (like Shutters), so they want to be sure their employees are getting paid.

4. darkwing818

darkwing818 DIS Veteran

We purchased a Length of Cruise pass last year (May) on the Fanatsy & it was added then. When I asked about it they said it was new, & they took it off our bill. It was there when we sailed on the Dream this past December.

5. MsJiminyCricket

Interesting that it can be taken off. Is the price for a day pass purchased on board still $16?

6. darkwing818

darkwing818 DIS Veteran

Pretty sure reason why they took it off was that it was it was still new charge. We paid the gratuity when we sailed in December.

Sorry I don't know the price of a single day pass, as we get the length of cruise pass.

7. rantnnravin

rantnnravin No room in the suitcase? U can land a plane in it!

Although it may be considered mostly "self service", there are staff who keep the area clean, stocked, etc..

8. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

Absolutely.

9. Matty Ice

Matty Ice Mouseketeer

Now we're tipping people who are doing the job they should be paid to do? I am happy to show my appreciation with a gratuity to someone who has provided me individual service, but tipping someone because they clean and stock an area is going a little too far. :confused3

Just my opinion.

10. lelalittlelegs

lelalittlelegs Mouseketeer

Sorry to hijack...

What is a rainforest pass and how/where do I get one? I have read briefly about them but cannot for the life of me work out how to get it? Can I purchase it on board? I'm on the Magic in August. TIA.

11. PrincessShmoo

PrincessShmoo DIS Veteran

Isn't tipping usually done to those who are doing the job they are paid to do, including waiters/servers, room hosts, etc? Do you not tip, say, hotel maids when vacationing? They typically just "clean and stock" your room daily. It's much like the tipping pools that some restaurants have in effect - all tip go into a pool and all positions (servers, busboys, maître de) all get a cut.

I'm not championing the auto gratuity system, I personally prefer to tip as I see fit. That's one reason I don't use the spa/salon services. I would think the people who clean/stock are working their way up in the spa system, and are probably just part of the pool.

12. tup1830

tup1830 Mouseketeer

I agree, an automatic tip for the cleaning is a little absurd.

If tipping is okay for cleaning (and its an outside company), i don't see people tipping the camera people as they take pictures (even with difficult children at times)...i don't see people tipping the cove cafe people if they just go in for a free snack...nor do i see people tipping the cleaning crew, the front desk crew, the engine crew or the officers...even if they are the ones helping to ensure our cruise went ship shape.

This idea of auto gratuity is absurd...just raise the price :-)scared1:) and tell people, no tipping please.

13. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

But there will ALWAYS be people who still want to tip. Heck, my husband tipped the pre-paid and pre-tipped shuttle driver taking us home from the airport the other night. Just didn't feel right to him to not hand something over, even though he had ALREADY handed something over when he booked the shuttle.

So then you get the expectation again, of a tip on top of the raised price.

They already have us tip people for simply doing their jobs. The spa people work constantly in the Rainforest area.

14. MsJiminyCricket

So - um - does anyone know the cost of a day pass when purchased on the ship?

15. Matty Ice

Matty Ice Mouseketeer

I absolutely tip the hotel maids who clean "my" room and the waitress that serves me "my" meal and the bell hop who holds "my" bag and the taxi driver who drove me to "my" hotel. That's why I said I'm happy to provide a gratuity to someone who provided me an individual service. I've also paid for spa day passes at resorts in Las Vegas and never had a gratuity automatically added to my bill. Being required to leave a tip in the rainforest room is what, no pun intended, rubs me the wrong way.