Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf/ The GOOD, the BAD and the really BAD!

lookingforward

DIS Veteran
I got to take my German cousin and her 13 year old daughter to Disneyworld this July. I am a Florida resident so I normally do NOT go to Orlando in the summer. I found it to be way to hot and crowded!

I booked a concierge room at the Grand Floridian because I wanted them to have a really special experience. I got a 40% off rate which made it very reasonable. Our party consisted of me, my son, my daughter and my cousin and her daughter.

I LOVE the Grand Floridian and have stayed in the main building (in December). Since I have some health issues from my breast cancer ordeal I wanted to be on the monorail and have really good service. Here is my review:

Check In: BAD!! I booked this reservation as a military spouse in order to get the 40% off. The confirmation was sent to my home, in my name and with my credit card. When we drove up to the guard gate the guard stated that there was no reservation in my name. He was very cross with me and finally just said "drive in and see what you can do". OKAY:confused3

So we drove up and there was, of course, noone waiting to help us check in as is the norm when you book club level. I approached a women with a clipboard and she walked me into the lobby and after waiting a few minutes we got to check on what was happening. They did not have any reservation. I began to dig out my documents when they found it! It was in my German cousin's name. They assured me that it would be changed right away, I gave them my american express card and we were walked over to our room.

Room: The room was lovely but was directly next to the elevator and LOUD. Thankfully we were all good sleepers because I could see that being a problem for someone who wakes easily.

BIG PROBLEM: Although I was assured that my reservation was changed to my name (since I was paying) it never was. Every time we arrived for a dining reservation they claimed they had no record of me. I had the dining confirmation number and then they said "Oh, you are the *** party??" It was still in my cousin's name. I know some of you would think this is not a big deal but it was maddening because I was often met with attitude AND the concierge staff (who were all very nice) kept assuring me every morning that the changes had been made.

We had a great stay and the club level food offerings were the best I had ever seen in many stays. The appetizers each evening were absolutely delicious and very generous. Lobster puffs, quiche, etc. Very nice. The lobby/lounge was always crowded at that time and people were a bit pushy trying to get their food and drink, but we still had a wonderful time. Breakfast was wonderful, lots of fresh fruit, bagels, toast, oatmeal, etc. Loved it!

The final thing that made me crazy: When I originally booked the reservation I used my debit card. That was months before my trip. When I checked in I gave them my american express card for all my additional expenses. On the last night of our stay I awoke (the elevator) and noticed the red message light was blinking. The message stated that my credit card was declined and that I needed to call and make other arrangments as soon as possible. I freaked out! I immediately called (it was about 4 a.m.) and noone answered. I was told to speak with a certain extension and they did not pick up. So I tossed and turned all night and did not sleep because I was worried my amex card had been compromised. When I finally got through the women I spoke to (again VERY NICE) said the card was declined twice for the balance of $1200.00. After much discussion I realized they were trying to charge my DEBIT card (which has a 1000.00 limit per day). This made me very angry because if it had gone through it would have truly messed up my account transactions. When she ran the amex card she said "Well I'll be darned....it went through!" like she was surprised. Not the thing to say at that moment!

It was a very stressfull visit and quite a mix up for a four star hotel.

I still love WDW though!:thumbsup2

I got to take my German cousin and her 13 year old daughter to Disneyworld this July. I am a Florida resident so I normally do NOT go to Orlando in the summer. I found it to be way to hot and crowded!

I booked a concierge room at the Grand Floridian because I wanted them to have a really special experience. I got a 40% off rate which made it very reasonable. Our party consisted of me, my son, my daughter and my cousin and her daughter.

I LOVE the Grand Floridian and have stayed in the main building (in December). Since I have some health issues from my breast cancer ordeal I wanted to be on the monorail and have really good service. Here is my review:

Check In: BAD!! I booked this reservation as a military spouse in order to get the 40% off. The confirmation was sent to my home, in my name and with my credit card. When we drove up to the guard gate the guard stated that there was no reservation in my name. He was very cross with me and finally just said "drive in and see what you can do". OKAY:confused3

So we drove up and there was, of course, noone waiting to help us check in as is the norm when you book club level. I approached a women with a clipboard and she walked me into the lobby and after waiting a few minutes we got to check on what was happening. They did not have any reservation. I began to dig out my documents when they found it! It was in my German cousin's name. They assured me that it would be changed right away, I gave them my american express card and we were walked over to our room.

Room: The room was lovely but was directly next to the elevator and LOUD. Thankfully we were all good sleepers because I could see that being a problem for someone who wakes easily.

BIG PROBLEM: Although I was assured that my reservation was changed to my name (since I was paying) it never was. Every time we arrived for a dining reservation they claimed they had no record of me. I had the dining confirmation number and then they said "Oh, you are the *** party??" It was still in my cousin's name. I know some of you would think this is not a big deal but it was maddening because I was often met with attitude AND the concierge staff (who were all very nice) kept assuring me every morning that the changes had been made.

We had a great stay and the club level food offerings were the best I had ever seen in many stays. The appetizers each evening were absolutely delicious and very generous. Lobster puffs, quiche, etc. Very nice. The lobby/lounge was always crowded at that time and people were a bit pushy trying to get their food and drink, but we still had a wonderful time. Breakfast was wonderful, lots of fresh fruit, bagels, toast, oatmeal, etc. Loved it!

The final thing that made me crazy: When I originally booked the reservation I used my debit card. That was months before my trip. When I checked in I gave them my american express card for all my additional expenses. On the last night of our stay I awoke (the elevator) and noticed the red message light was blinking. The message stated that my credit card was declined and that I needed to call and make other arrangments as soon as possible. I freaked out! I immediately called (it was about 4 a.m.) and noone answered. I was told to speak with a certain extension and they did not pick up. So I tossed and turned all night and did not sleep because I was worried my amex card had been compromised. When I finally got through the women I spoke to (again VERY NICE) said the card was declined twice for the balance of $1200.00. After much discussion I realized they were trying to charge my DEBIT card (which has a 1000.00 limit per day). This made me very angry because if it had gone through it would have truly messed up my account transactions. When she ran the amex card she said "Well I'll be darned....it went through!" like she was surprised. Not the thing to say at that moment!

It was a very stressfull visit and quite a mix up for a four star hotel.

I still love WDW though!:thumbsup2

I do not the GF for some of the same reasons. Although not nearly as bad an experience as you had but the rudeness. "Most" of the staff I have encountered were snooty. And yes I said most.:snooty::snooty::snooty:

I might have a clue as to what happened to have the "name change" on your ressie, BECAUSE the same thing happened to me last week! I had a ressie for Aug 23rd at he AKL, I paid and had a guest ...she was on there as such. Well, I guess when the "room assigners" got the reservation days before my arrival, they touched the computer screen which in turn changed the name on the reservation to Gina instead of myself!! This bothered me because I paid for it, and I could not even get access to my own reservation!!!!!! This was friday before we went on last monday!! I talked to a CM who said the info does not match, I asked to speak to a supervisor, she was rude...then I asked to speak to HER supervisor!! after half of day research, they figured out what happened!!

this sounds almost like what happened to me!!!!I never knew that the room assigners had these touch screens they use and that names can be flipped! I found it to be very informative!!!

I might have a clue as to what happened to have the "name change" on your ressie, BECAUSE the same thing happened to me last week! I had a ressie for Aug 23rd at he AKL, I paid and had a guest ...she was on there as such. Well, I guess when the "room assigners" got the reservation days before my arrival, they touched the computer screen which in turn changed the name on the reservation to Gina instead of myself!! This bothered me because I paid for it, and I could not even get access to my own reservation!!!!!! This was friday before we went on last monday!! I talked to a CM who said the info does not match, I asked to speak to a supervisor, she was rude...then I asked to speak to HER supervisor!! after half of day research, they figured out what happened!!

this sounds almost like what happened to me!!!!I never knew that the room assigners had these touch screens they use and that names can be flipped! I found it to be very informative!!!

That is exactly what happened to me! I too was kind of annoyed because I was treating my guests and they kept deferring to my cousin who did not speak much English. They kept trying to get her to explain how it could be my reservation. It made me crazy! Like she had to "okay" it before they would talk to me.

The only truly snooty GF person was the women who checked us in after all the confusion. She kept saying that I was a "regular" like there was something wrong wiht that, lol. Like "sorry about the mix up but at least you are a regular who has been here many times". Translation: you have been here before so if its not perfect we know you will come back for more....SUCKER! :rotfl2: And she is right!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter