Grand Floridian RPC=Really Poor Concierge

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by Laurie528, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Laurie528

Laurie528 Earning My Ears

Hi all, I have been reading on these boards for a while now but have not recently posted. My family and I have just returned from the GF RPC a few days ago and I am so furious I felt I needed to make a post. I'm sorry all but this is going to be very long. I am going to start by telling you all a little history behind this trip. It was not only me who went but my entire family consisting of my two sisters and their spouses and children, my brother and his spouse and children and both my parents as well as me, my significant other and our son. All totalling 16 people and we booked 4 rooms in the main building concierge. Now this was a very special trip for us. The whole family was traveling down there because my father recently retired and sold his business of 30 years, and my mother recently finished going through chemotherapy. It was also my mothers birthday and my parents 40th wedding anniversary. We were all traveling down there because of my mother recovering from cancer and it has always been her dream vacation to go to DW and stay in the GF RPC. We have all been to disney many times and have stay'd in many of their resorts, though never the GF. Money was not an issue for this vacation as it was a special one for the whole family. After reading a few negative posts on the rpc here, my sister and I tried to get my mother to switch to the yacht club, but as I said this was her dream vacation and this is where she wanted to stay. So we decided we would give it a try as we are not hard to please people. Let me just give you a report of what went on during our 8 day stay there.

---THE RESORT
    The resort itself was beautiful. We loved the main building and the pools and the lounge. The rooms were spacious and kept very clean. I only had one complaint here. The air conditioning unit is apparently operated with a motion sensor (no motion no a/c). During the day, when returning from the parks the room was about 78 degrees (very warm when you're sweating). However this isn't what even bothered me as it would cool off quickly. The thing that was troublesome was in the middle of the night when we were sleeping the a/c would shut off because of no motion in the room. We called the concierge to send someone to look at it. They came and looked and said the a/c was operating the way it should be. The thing I really did not like was being told by the concierge upon complaining that if we couldn't sleep because the room was too hot, to get up and move around. Excuse me? this a/c shut off every 3 mins. I'm supposed to get out of bed every 5 mins or so to get it to come back on? Hmmm doesn't sound right to me.

----Housekeeping
    As I said before the room was kept very clean and had no complaints about that. The only complaint I had here was that there were no towel animals left in the room. Now I know that they do this randomly and it is not required. However we did have 7 children with us and they were very disappointed. So we called the concierge desk to see if we could arrange this "surprise" for them. Well I think one day we got two ducks with no eyes..lol.. I also left generous tips and a note each day asking for these towel animals to please be left for my son. Nothing from housekeeping. Nothing from concierge staff.

----Service
    Now here is where it gets messy. A few complaints here(not all from me but from the four rooms which we occupied). I will start with the buffet. The continental breakfast was great, we enjoyed it almost every morning. The food throughout the rest of the day was good as well although not enough to go around. Now I know that the lounge food is not meant for meals and I never expected it to be. My problem here was that food often ran out prior to the scheduled serving times. My other problem was the buffet attendants sometimes downright rude comments. Let me give you specifics. We returned from the parks in the afternoon to empty trays, when asking an attendant if there were any more cookies available we were told no they are g-o-n-e . Yes no offering of anything else just looked at us and spelled out gone and walked away. So upon returning to the room my sister called the concierge desk and more cookies were brough to the buffet which still had a good hour left to it. Now let me start with the strawberries(yes i know it sounds silly but there is a reason). My mother, prior to going to the GF was reading all these great things about these chocolate covered strawberries which looked like they were wearing tuxedos. (Let me just say that the concierge desk was made well aware of how special this vacation was for my mother). We even asked where we could purchase these strawberries as my mother was really looking forward to them. Ok they have these strawberries in the evening, half my family was there around 7 when they first put them out and was able to enjoy them. Upon return of the rest of my family around 9 or so, there were no more strawberries out. I asked the attendant if there were any left and her exact reply was "no, if you want the good stuff, you'll have to get here earlier".. o.k as i think to myself take a deep breath, you're on vacation. So back to the room we go to put another call into the concierge desk.. pretty good resolution as strawberries were then sent to all four rooms, but never an apology. My mother has a very hard time asking for things ( I don't know why). She had three adults in her room and called the concierge desk to request an extra bathrobe (this is the only thing she asked for the entire vacation) . Well she never got it and also never told anyone she requested it until we were already home (as she knows my sister or I would have called again{I don't know what her issue is with asking for things}). My sisters room housed 2 adults and 2 teenagers when she ask for extra slippers she was told she could not have them as they were only allowed 2 pairs per room!
    numerous requests for extra towels and blankets were never met. When we called to complain they sent the manager to the wrong room ( my sister in-law) along with the manager they sent the maid who was said to look like she was in tears and my sil told them don't worry about it due to the maid being so upset. Now don't get me wrong we are very nice people and were not being rude about any of these complaints to anyone. My husband collects those quarter press things, so he went down to the concierge desk to ask about the locations of some of the machines. Nobody knew what he was talking about, after a few phone calls she jotted down about 5 different location. After that he went to the front desk and asked a received a computer print out of about 7 sheets with every location ( hey not bad for the front desk huh..) I thought the concierge were supposed to be very knowledgable(sp) about disney things oh well. On an e-ride night I lost my glasses on space mountain, I asked the ride attendant and was told that all found things go to city hall and to call in the morning to see if they were found. So the next afternoon, I go down to the concierge desk to call city hall. I was told to go back to my room and dial 0 and ask the operater to connect me. (was this the outstanding service I was paying for)? My sister checked out a few days prior to me and left her wallet by mistake in my car.. OK no problem I think I will just go down to the concierge and fed ex it to her.. hmm that went smoothly, or so i thought, this was on a Saturday, on Monday my sister called for the tracking number and was told they had no record of anything being sent out, so now I have to return from the park to straighten this out. ( after I got my bill I found it funny that they had no record of this since it was posted to my room bill on that Saturday of which I sent it). Attendants at the buffet were actually making fun of a guest wearing a g-string bikini in the lounge. ( yes i do think this is inappropriate attire, however I would not have even of noticed if I didn't glance over my shoulder to see what these attendants were laughing and looking at). We decided to stay an extra day after my family left but asked to be moved to the wilderness lodge concierge for the last night as we were not happy with the service we were receiving at the GF. We asked the concierge about adding a night on and were told to that we would have to go back to the room and call cro! After making the wl reservation, I called the concierge desk over there and explained that I knew it was silly but could we possibly arrange for some towel animals to be in the room upon check in as my son was disappointed. When we checked in ( room was ready at 11:00 am), there were 16 animals in our room, Bravo WL! Upon check out of GF I had to call for my bill around 10:30 am and was told they didn't know why it wasn't sent, no apology, just they didn't know why. Then the bill itself was wrong as we were charged for valet parking (we hold a handicapped permit) so there shouldn't have been a charge. So yet one more trip to the desk. Upon leaving a concierge staff member told my sister that she was complaining about insignificant things in order to receive a discount!!!!!!! The service here was absolutely horrible and the staff was down right rude at times. I am posting this to get it off my chest and to see other opinions about our complaints. Yes I know some of them sound insignificant but when it was one after another and you have to keep calling about keycards not working, extra blankets, length of stay passes not being correct ( my brothers room needed 3 child length of stay passes and when he checked in he was given four.. he brought if back down to the concierge desk and was told not to worry about it as he was only charged for 3, well the bill comes and yes there were 4 charges, now that refund is held up in accounting. I would not say that this poor service ruined our vacation, but it certainly took a lot of the magic out of it. I would like to know who to complain to about this and what you all think of our experience.:mad:

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. Jinnyboom

Jinnyboom Mouseketeer

Laurie......I have to say (as silly as this may sound)....I had better service from the staff at ASMu last time we were there!!!!

I would (if you have not already) call the GF and ask to speak to the manager....that failing...I would find out who to speak to at Guest Services for all of WDW....

No....you weren't complaining to get a discount.....but NOW....I would expect some type of compensation......

Hope this didn't overshadow your parents trip..........

4. lookingforward

lookingforward DIS Veteran

Goodness...that was awful to read. I am so sorry to learn about your stay there. It is really unexcusable! And I don't understand how they get away with behavior like that since the GF is there "flagship" hotel. Please let the powers that be know everything you shared with us. Compensation or no compensation it should NEVER happen again. I do hope you get some sort of compensation though. Even a sincere apology would help. Congrats on your parents recent good fortune with the sale of a business and most importantly your mother's improved health. Let us know if you decide to write up the chain of command. If I was in charge of guest services I would most certainly want to know if my employees were laughing at guests, ignoring their simple reguests and making my housekeeping staff cry!!!

5. Tinkbell

Tinkbell <font color=purple>We called it, "Attack of the Sp

I think when you pay that kind of money for a vacation, the staff should take care of your EVERY need. I stayed in a garden view room at the GF and our housekeeper kept on giving us extra robes and slippers without us even asking for them and there were only 2 of us in the room. I would except more from the concierge of Disney's most prestigious resort. I guess they didn't go out of their way to do anything special for your mother either. :(

6. Tesabat

Tesabat Mouseketeer

I'm so sorry to hear that you and your family - and especially your mother - were disappointed with GF. I'm curious - did they do "anything" special for your mother, father and family?? I know we are NOT to expect anything - even towel animals. However, with four rooms of paying guests and a double celebration, I'm just curious if they ever sent a flower arrangement, or chocolates...or anything?? (Other than the strawberries after you complained...that's different.)

I found a list of addresses somewhere - and now I don't remember where! I remember reading also in this same section that you should always write a letter, not an e-mail - and send it to the GF Manager, but then CC a couple others that are over this person as well. State what your expectations were and how they fell short, and what you feel should happen - an apology, better training of concierge staff, etc. Write it - let it sit one day - then re-read it and edit as necessary until it reads as professional as possible.

I hope that the other aspects of your trip were enjoyable - and best of luck to your parents - and particularly to your mother as she enjoys her renewed health.

7. WeLoveDisney

WeLoveDisney Mouseketeer

Hi Tesabat
    I'm Laurie's sister replying - hey, I'm the older one anyway :)

I thought for sure they would do something special - but they didnt. I've heard of other guests getting flowers, wine, anything, but no. She didnt even get a kind word, congratulations, or anything. I told many, many people of her health, her birthday, and my parents anniversary.

The only "extra" (besides the service requests we had which I believe should be expected anyway) were some towel animals for the children. We requested them many times and left notes with generous tips for housekeeping. I mentioned it to the manager and that night my sister had one washcloth shaped like a duck (ok, we appreciate the effort, but it was a little lame. It had no eye stickers, and the next night she didnt get a new one but someone put stickers on the duck). We werent too upset by that, but laughed at really how lame the service was. By contrast, when she checked in at WL she just happened to mention that her son was disappointed by the lack of towel animals at GF (nothing beats coming back to your room with your child so excited to find a surprise). All she did was mention it and when she checked into WL she had 16 large towel animals made - a sumu wrestler, alligator, etc. (and all had eyes LOL). It just goes to show you what GREAT service is like compared to staff who just dont get it. Also, even though she spent only one night in WL her son was given a gift of a coloring book and crayons. We had 7 children at GF and they werent given anything.

8. Laurie528

Thank you for responding Tesabat, and to answer your question, no nothing was ever done special for my mother or my father during our stay. This really surprised me as I was expecting it after telling almost everyone there what a special occasion this was. I know you are not supposed to expect things like that, but you would think with the money we paid for the four rooms and the circumstances of our vacation ( of which everyone was made aware), that they could've come up with something special to be in the room. As for now we are waiting for a reply from the gf manager.

9. Richyams

Richyams <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.

I am really horrified to hear of your experience. There were certainly things that were far beyond the pale.

But, and I almost feel bad mentioning this....I am glad it seems to be the same two places that get these reviews and we never get them from the AKL...my first AKL concierge stay, first concierge stay at all, is in October and I am glad every time I read a bad review and its not of AKL,,,, again, sorry to hear of your experience.

10. Laurie528

Yes Richyamms,
    My sister frequently stays at the AKL and has always loved her trips there. As for me I enjoy the WL and opted to stay there for the last night of our vacation (as I would not stay another night at the rpc after my parents checked out) and received far superior service in the twenty hours we were there as opposed to the entire week at the GF. By the end of our 1st day at WL staff members even knew my sons name. It's funny we stayed at the GF for a week and I don't think any staff members knew any of our names(surprising for the number of calls which went to the concierge desk during our stay)

11. WeLoveDisney

WeLoveDisney Mouseketeer

Richyams,
    My sister, Laurie is right. We have stayed at AKL 3 other times this year. You will love it! The resort lobby is beautiful and the restaurants are great. I've never stayed concierge there before, but the service in the regular rooms and at the front desk/pool was always great.

The only issue is since it is a bit removed you have to rely on transportation (which unless you time it right can be slow). We always rent a car and drive most places rather than use buses at AKL, but that's just our preference.

I'm sure you'll have a great time!

12. jlima

jlima Beep Beep!

IMHO they should refund the difference between the concierge rate and the regular room rate . . . I can't believe they told you to get to the lounge sooner for the strawberries; sounds like an attempt to control costs by not replenishing the food! The CMs who told you to call the CRO and city hall yourself should be written up, and the person from housekeeping who wouldn't bring the extra slippers needs extra direction from her manager on how to respond to concierge guest's requests. Please post when they get back to you; I can't wait to see if and how they compensate you.

:bounce:

13. pollyanna

pollyanna ZZZZGal

Are you "WeloveDisney"?? She seems to have identical problems as you do??:confused:

14. gepetto

gepetto <font color="red">Actually thought WebmasterAlex w

Apparently they are related.

15. Laurie528

No Polly, I am not welovedisney.. We had the same problems because welovedisney is my sister and we were on the same vacation together (different rooms) and slightly different days.. She checked in a few days before me and left a few days earlier.

16. jgates

jgates <font color=teal>Must vow NEVER to toggle the tags

Laurie & WeLove - this is a dumb question but did they say how sensitive the motion detectors are? I was just wondering if you packed a small fan that moves from side to side and turned it on if it would create enough motion from the fan unit to actually keep the a/c running on a regular basis. (Or maybe pick up a cheapy at WM if you stop there). If that would work it might be a cheap solution for others visiting in the future with this a/c sensor deal.

PS-My next suggestion would be to go to Swan instead! You might not get the towel animals but we had treatment that was 1000% better than that! And even apologies from the maintenance guy because we had to wait for him to come back from the Dolphin when it was my son's fault I was locked out of the room - he's apologizing for something that was our fault to begin with. 10 days and we had only one incident which was funny to me but not my son. I'd call that good service. Disney needs a few lessons.

I'm not asking for what you guys paid, but for anyone out there what is an average or standard rate for GF conc level room? ??$300 nite??.

17. Laurie528

jgates,

My husband made numerous attempts to get the air conditioner to stay on over night. He actually tied a sock onto the chain of the ceiling fan in hopes the swinging around would trigger the a/c.. that didn't work, next he moved one of the tall lights between the two beds and clipped a plastic bag on it in hopes the bag waving back and forth would keep it going. Sad to say the most effective thing to get it to come on was waving the bedspread, however the a/c shut off a couple minutes later. What he did do on our second to last night was to pull the thermostat off the wall.. there were instructions on the back of it to bypass the motion sensor.. we did that and then it worked..
    Now in the first place when the engineer(or whatever he was) came to see if it was functioning properly when we first complained, he bypassed the system. We asked him if he could leave it bypassed we were told no.
    As for the rates, i'm not sure what rack rate is, but I think its upward of $550 a night. I did get it a little cheaper than that. My sister also got it cheaper with a travel agent rate.

18. Laurie528

I also want to say that we were told the balcony doors had sensors on them. So if it were cracked even just a quarter inch, the a/c would shut off.

I also want to clarify as to why my sister and I would put up with this and not asked to be moved to a different resort. You have to understand we were there with my parents who are not confrontational at all and were even embarassed when we complained about the poor service. We also did not want to upset my mother as this was her dream vacation and did not want her to think we were unhappy. My sister checked out prior to my mother leaving, and the morning my mother left, my husband and I switched over to the wilderness lodge

19. WeLoveDisney

WeLoveDisney Mouseketeer

Laurie was always the good daughter..............

20. Laurie528

and I still am:p

21. gepetto

gepetto <font color="red">Actually thought WebmasterAlex w

What did you have to do to bypass the motion sensor?