Grand Floridian RPC - Horror Story

I believe I may have had the same type of A/C in my wing room at the Contemporary this past weekend, although it seemed to be completely overridden. It had the same LCD readout with the set temp and actual temp, and two buttons for hotter or cooler, and a white round bulb that I believe was a motion sensor. I think either the hotel or a guest had completely overridden the sensor though, because I could even open the sliding door and it didn't turn off. However, if I turned it a few degrees too high, the little light turned red, and the HEAT came on! It seems if the light is green, it's A/C, and if it's red it's heat. And, in order to get it back to A/C from the heat setting, I had to turn it way WAY cooler to get it to go back to A/C ( the set temp had to be set to probably over 10-15 degrees cooler than the actual temp before it would turn back to A/C). It kind of sounds like maybe these were installed and the hotel people don't know how to work them, so they either just left them and hoped the guests could work it in some cases, or in other cases just overrode all the sensors to avoid complaints. But the GM of the GF was probably correct about the set temp, because it was set to about 72 or 73 when I first walked in.

All right Cali!!! Are you talking about that program disney has where college students can apply to work there and get credit for it? Anyway, I think that's what it is.

You should be the manager of the all darn place!

Wow, you have to tell us in advance if you are doing this, so we can make reservations and see you in action. I can only imagine that the RPC would be THE BEST concierage in the world!!!

Carolyn:) :) :) :)

Originally posted by goofyandmore
All right Cali!!! Are you talking about that program disney has where college students can apply to work there and get credit for it? Anyway, I think that's what it is.

You should be the manager of the all darn place!

Wow, you have to tell us in advance if you are doing this, so we can make reservations and see you in action. I can only imagine that the RPC would be THE BEST concierage in the world!!!

Carolyn:) :) :) :)

Exactly! ;) It was actually recommended to me by some CM's at the GF, I knew about the program but never considered it before. I will request a position at the GF, RPC desk if possible. What do you think the RPC would be like with me working there? :cool:

quote:

Exactly! It was actually recommended to me by some CM's at the GF, I knew about the program but never considered it before. I will request a position at the GF, RPC desk if possible. What do you think the RPC would be like with me working there?

Go Cali x2 (or squared)!!!:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Please say you'll be at RPC by Dec!!!! Then I am absolutely assured that the RPC will run as smooth as silk! And I shall have no worries and be happy! As shall we all!!!

Not this December! I'll give everyone a few years to start saving up! ;) I'll even override the A/C system so it stays the temperature you want!

Thanks Cali - I'll have to go back when you are there. As for the A/C - I like snow in my room, perhaps I'll take a refrigeration course before I leave, so I'll know how to operate it! LOL:p

I just got back from BC and GF a couple of days ago. I know I would not go back to the GF. I will say that for some unknown reason, I was upgraded to a lagoon view in Boca Chica, and had a wonderful view of the fireworks, which I did see 2 nights. I have a totally different complaint. As you all know, Florida has been experiencing a lot of rain this summer. We were dressed up for a special dinner at Artist Point however coming out of the lodge, we were presented with a torrential downpour. (It had rained on and off all day, but this was fierce.) There were about 15 people stuck under the canopy of the lodge, many dressed for a nice dinner. A few of the canopied luggage golf carts drove by, but none would stop. I picked up the house phone, and asked the front desk if there was any way anyone could "rescue" us, so we could get to the main building. His response - "we don't do that." I explained several people were dressed nicely but got a flat "get an umbrella." Well, my son offered me the extra outer shirt he was wearing to sort of keep the rain off, and we made a run for it. Our clothing was absolutely soaked, including our shoes (ruined my dress sandals) and by the time we got to Wilderness Lodge, we looked like drowned rats. Not to mention the air conditioning was working fine there, so we also were quickly chilled. It made for a horrible dinner experience (food was great) and I just can't believe in those conditions, at 200-300 dollars a night that no one could help. Those little golf carts were dry as could be, and they all just drove by empty. I'll never stay there again, if that's an example of service. At least the BC is enclosed! (i know, I should have had an umbrella, but it wouldn't have helped my shoes or clothes). I know this may sound petty, but again, if this is a flagship hotel, I just think they should do their best to assist as needed.

Sorry to hear about your wet dinner :(

A few years ago, I stayed at the Four Seasons in Palm Beach on a business trip. I was caught in their lobby waiting for the rain to slow down so I could dash to my car. Without me asking, a bellman came over to me with an umbrella and offered to walk me to my car. That's service!

For those of you who asked about my conversation with the elusive Ms Sussan, yes, she does exist, but I only got her to call me back after I found out who her boss was and left a message for him. Then she called me back the same day. (And that was after leaving messages for her and her assistant for 2 weeks).

Service is very important to me on my vacations. I use these retreats to get relaxation and as well as new inspiration. As my job is in the sevice industry much like Disney's, my vacations are needed to "recharge" the battery. During the '90's, Disney high standards would get me all fired up again about customer service and I would return with a new purpose. Now I don't get that sense of pride in service when I visit anymore. It's the little things that make the difference.

Originally posted by WeLoveDisney
Sorry to hear about your wet dinner :(

A few years ago, I stayed at the Four Seasons in Palm Beach on a business trip. I was caught in their lobby waiting for the rain to slow down so I could dash to my car. Without me asking, a bellman came over to me with an umbrella and offered to walk me to my car. That's service!

For those of you who asked about my conversation with the elusive Ms Sussan, yes, she does exist, but I only got her to call me back after I found out who her boss was and left a message for him. Then she called me back the same day. (And that was after leaving messages for her and her assistant for 2 weeks).

Did you get an apology, compensation, would love to know the details? Especially after you went through so much to hear from her.

After reading so many bad reports about the GF on the boards, it is one resort I no longer have an urge to try. Sorry for all your problems, I think you had very realistic expectations.

We just booked a winter vacation at the Four Seasons. It is amazing to me the difference in dealing with them versus the RPC. The attitude at the Four Seasons is we can and will do anything to make sure that you have a great trip. The attitude at the GF was, we can't do that...we can't promise that...we can't fix that...not my job...Ugh! What a refreshing change! I hope the Four Seasons builds a resort in Orlando!

We stayed at GF once. I had really high expectations because I had stayed at the other resorts. I thought this one was supposed to top them all - not only in price. Not worth it to us - we left kind of disappointed. Thank goodness we didn't go concierge!!! I hope they can find a way to bring the customer service back to the levels they were at before - maybe they just can't find good help anymore. It is sad to see all the cuts and changes, even the subtle ones, because it just isn't the same place anymore. It is still a wonderful place, but just not as wonderful. We're doing a Halloween trip and another two weeks in the winter and then we're done for a while :(

Here's Disney's response.
Georgine the GM was very professional and offered many apologies. She said that our experiences were not what they accept from their CM's and that she would take appropriate action. (I really didnt want to get anyone in trouble, to me since our problems were so widespread it is a training or mgmt problem). She also offered me her personal phone number and said to call her before my next trip and whether I stayed at the Grand or not she would make sure I was well taken care of. I was for the most part satisfied after our conversation. (A small part of me was not satisfied because she made a lot of excuses - hotel busy, cant keep track of all employees, etc. I really just wanted an apology).

I also spoke to Georgine's boss (VP of Hotel Operations). That conversation was very positive. He was very reassuring and seemed to take the problems much more seriously than Georgine. Unlike her, he asked what he could do and how I wanted this handled from here. All I asked for was (1) an apology (2) for him to ensure me my next trip would be smoother , (3) someone would return my sister Laurie's calls to discuss her problems separately with her, and (4) that they send a letter to my parents thanking them for choosing the GF to celebrate this special time in their lives. I do think he would have done more (i.e. credit) but I made it clear in the beginning that was not what I was looking for.

Glad you were able to work this out. You were gracious not to want more than you did, an explanation and apology.

That will make my friends feel better about their trip.

We stayed at the GF RP a few days after 9/11. (We moved over from the BWV after other family members left.) We were upgraded upon check in(maybe because there was hardly anyone there. We had a nice experience, however I would have been very disappointed had we paid $$$$$ for RP. The food was ok but did not compare with the food or svc at the Poly. Also, we asked for a tour of some of the suites while we were there. The CM that took us around was very nice but asked us if we ever stay at Wilderness Lodge. We told him we hadnt yet. He said to stay there next time. That we would like it alot. He inferred that he did not really like the GF. I love the looks of the resort and the location, but I am at a loss also why management runs it the way it does. I guess thats why when Michael Eisner is there he stays at The Yacht Club. Maybe someone should suggest to him to stay at GF for 4 or 5 days. We LOVE Disney and are stockholders, Disney vacation club owners and go usually 3 or 4 times a yr and I also believe everyone should get what they pay for and then some. This is supposed to be Disney's flagship hotel.Please Disney, take notice and fix these problems.:bounce:Put someone in charge here that knows what customer service means. Maybe management needs to go to Disney University (the program they charge other companies to attend to teach them customer svc etc) or maybe they need to go to Four Seasons or another hotel to learn service. I mean this seriously. We have stayed at GF many times, for the look of the hotel, location etc. After the 1st time we knew it was not for the service. Housekeeping threw my own personal house shoes away(or something, anyway we never found them) and they never did anything to make it right. That was a small thing. However, I was not surprised by the above stories. I hope they truly change because GF could be a great hotel. I personally think only a return comped trip could make up for the trip you experienced. Pls print this and send this entire post to Michael Eisner, he just bought 10 million $$ in more Disney Stock so surely we wants the value to go up.
So do I.

WeLoveDisney - I sent you a private message.

I am glad that you heard from management, and I hope that your issues were resolved to your satisfaction.

Cali, since you asked, yes, I know exactly what the RPC would be like with you running it and I want in!! Why you ask, read on:

You will have the whole GF running smoothly and beautifully. The CM's will not only be great with the guests but they will be happy to work there which in turns pays off all around.

The food in concierage will be bountiful yet tastefully delicious.

CM's will come to you will all of their questions and problems and that will suit you fine because you will know exactly how to handle the situation to everyone's satisfaction.

You will do such a great job to the pleasure of management, CM's and guests alike that your job will not be limited to the RPC, they will test you on select days as the General Manager for the GF and be so impressed that they keep you there with full reign to manage the RPC or any other part of the GF.

Then the Polynesian will hear about you and ask for a meeting to try and attract you to their hotel which you will seriously consider because you love it there too, but your heart will not let you part with the GF.

Since the start of your career there, attendance will increase ten fold.

Cali, there is no doubt in my mind that the Grand Floridian will be at its Grandest with you at the head of the ranks.

Just remember us little folks who knew you when! Carolyn:D :D

Then I'll move to CEO of Disney? :cool:

Actually, I would like to be the "Vice-President and Head of Resort Opperations" for Disney. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter