Grand Floridian resale or Poly Direct?

kfoch

VGF Here I come!
Currently looking at both, for 200 pts approx., would probably be able to get a few more points via resale and end up paying the same price. I've done a lot of research and analysis and I know it comes down to this: which one? I feel more "safe" buying direct from Disney, getting all the bells and whistles and fan fare, but in reality, resale is probably just as safe. I love both resorts. I grew up going to the Poly w/ my mom and dad. Now- having just paid full rent on GF Villas for 6 nights in June, it was beautiful! I loved it and felt like the rooms were really well laid out (secret hallway to exit while kids sleep is a PLUS!).

I would have 100% clear decision on Poly IF they had a one-bedroom to offer, but they don't. I'd probably have to end up getting two studios adjoining....by my worry is that (1) they won't be adjoining and (2) the laundry thing...no washer/ dryer. Half of me thinks: Poly is my favorite, what WERE the DVC developers thinking when they didn't create a one bedroom?

Anyway, I am really just looking for view points from those that bought direct and bought at the Poly. Any advice I can get. Or those that had really great experiences on resale. Thanks.! (PS - Disney says they will throw in free 2014 pts. if you go direct w/ Disney before July 1st. That explains my indecisiveness).

The 2014 points aren't "free". If your UY is later than your buy date, they have to give you those points. They make it sound like they're doing you some huge favor, but that's a sales pitch.

I bought at Poly. We just stayed here a few weeks ago.

I love it. But then, DW isn't a fan of VGF and neither of us are fans of BLT.

If you buy 200 points at PVB, strongly consider buying a fixed week, especially if you plan on traveling in the Fall.

A fixed week costs about 10% more points for that week if you use the fixed week.

If you don't, you keep all the points.

We bought 168 points for a fixed week Lake View first week of Nov (F&W, MNSSHP some years, MVMCP other years, F&W half marathon on our departure weekend, etc.)

If booking at Poly ever becomes an issue, we're covered. If not, we have a pad on points to use (and we find ways to use points).

We expect two reallocation issues where buying a fixed week Lake View will be a great deal for us. 1. We expect the Bungalows will be lowered in price. 2. We expect some of the ground floor Lake View rooms will be reallocated to standard room. If this happens, there'll be even fewer Lake View rooms and they'll be even more difficult to book. Well, except for us, we'll be booked.

Btw at MK park closing, 22 minutes from MK gate to room, kid stayed in stroller the whole time.

You can do the same at VGF (we took the water taxi that runs to VGF and Poly), but that's still awesome.

The rooms are nice, the view is spectacular, DD7 loved the Lava Pool, DW loved the Poly Pearl from Trader Sam's, being 2 minutes from the MK and EPCOT monorail is amazing. We live near a train, so ferry horn didn't bother us at all.

We have two young kids with us now (DD7 and DGS2), so we plan to buy an identical fixed week in a few years so that eventually, we can have this week in connecting rooms.

I fully expect that once DVC gets serious about fixing their sales problem at PVB, they'll make connecting rooms a booking category (among other things). I think they underestimated how much a deal breaker that is. We won't buy a connecting week until we know the rooms are guaranteed to be connected.

One thing they SHOULD do is pipe Wishes over the television. That's just such a no-brainer. Also, the fridge not having a freezer section was short-sighted. Those were the only real complaints.

Last edited:
Thanks for your perspective and the pics! Question--what makes you think they will reallocate rooms from lake view back to 'standard'...is that because the ground floor lake view is somewhat obstructed by the bungalows? Is there talk of lowering pts needed to rent bungalows? (wasn't sure from your comment...about bungalows being lowered - my assumption is the rack rate may be lowered.) I am really bummed that the bungalows are so high in pt. price per night. Seems outrageous. I think that w/ 360 studios it will probably be pretty easy to book your room at the 11 month mark...but I get it on the week guarantee, perfect for F&W, etc. AND - I hear you loud and clear on the time from MK to the room. We won't look anywhere else BUT the monorail resorts. While I loved Beach Club last year (we stayed in a one bedroom), the walk to Epcot was great, I like the ease of getting child #3 back to room for a nap --quickly. (kids are 2, 5, and 7.)

On connecting rooms, that is what the sales person is telling us, that we CAN get connecting rooms anytime. I just don't trust that. With a 2 year old, and me sneaking out in the morning for a run, it is really hard to do that w/o waking up everyone at 6 am. So - we would prob always book two rooms. I just don't believe however we will be able to get them guaranteed when reserving. Sounds like this is an issue being discussed based on your post.

We loved room service. I got a full 'Ohana meal delivered to my room. DW got Kona including sushi for room service.

Thanks for your perspective and the pics! Question--what makes you think they will reallocate rooms from lake view back to 'standard'...is that because the ground floor lake view is somewhat obstructed by the bungalows? Is there talk of lowering pts needed to rent bungalows? (wasn't sure from your comment...about bungalows being lowered - my assumption is the rack rate may be lowered.) I am really bummed that the bungalows are so high in pt. price per night. Seems outrageous. I think that w/ 360 studios it will probably be pretty easy to book your room at the 11 month mark...but I get it on the week guarantee, perfect for F&W, etc. AND - I hear you loud and clear on the time from MK to the room. We won't look anywhere else BUT the monorail resorts. While I loved Beach Club last year (we stayed in a one bedroom), the walk to Epcot was great, I like the ease of getting child #3 back to room for a nap --quickly. (kids are 2, 5, and 7.)

On connecting rooms, that is what the sales person is telling us, that we CAN get connecting rooms anytime. I just don't trust that. With a 2 year old, and me sneaking out in the morning for a run, it is really hard to do that w/o waking up everyone at 6 am. So - we would prob always book two rooms. I just don't believe however we will be able to get them guaranteed when reserving. Sounds like this is an issue being discussed based on your post.
There's been speculation on the boards about lowering the price of bungalows, but nothing official (and I have no inside knowledge in any case). If bungalows go down, studios go up. Now with 360 studios to 20 bungalows, that wouldn't affect studios much. My point is that it doesn't take much to make me glad to have a 10% pad on points and a fixed week that won't change due to reallocation.

I do believe that many of the ground floor "lake views" are really "bungalow views". That'll have to be addressed, I believe.

25% of Poly points are bungalow. I don't think 25% of buyers will be. That will skew buyers to studios. Add to that the typical skew to DVC bookings in the Fall and I believe studios will be in high demand in the Fall at 11 months once Poly is sold.

In any case, it's the view we love and there are only 72 of those rooms. Less if they reallocate the rooms that aren't truly lake view. We think a fixed week was a very reasonable hedge to ensure we always get what we want.

Anecdotally, not having a guarantee on connecting rooms is a real problem and "don't worry about it" isn't a good enough answer. I think DVC will have no choice but to address this.

If DVC does add connecting rooms as a booking category, that'll put even more demand on booking at 11 months in the Fall.

Connecting rooms are not guaranteed, it's a software and room assigner issue that won't easily be fixed, of course the guides won't tell you that.

DVC has never had a point reallocation under the new SVP, who knows what he will do. They don't necessarily change the room categories because we ask them to, they make change when it benefits Disney or when the front desk gets so many complaints that the resort management puts pressure on DVC management.

:earsboy: Bill

Regarding resale it takes longer than direct but it's a real estate transaction and quite safe. We've bought multiple contracts that way and sold a couple too. I'd buy resale again in a heart beat if we wanted more points. FWIW we've bought direct as well and had to get paperwork corrected etc. I actually had a direct purchase take longer than a couple of our resales. :rolleyes:

Personally I think you have to give the strongest consideration to what things are now, rather than the speculation of what changes might occur. If the changes don't happen then what? Will you still be happy with the purchase? I think it's likely you would get connecting rooms at Poly but without it being guaranteed it's nothing I'd ever count on if I really had to have it. Also, while you should buy at a resort that you are happy staying at it doesn't mean that you won't be able to stay at other resorts from time to time.

200 points indicates that you would be purchasing to usually get studios at either of the two resorts. In that case, I would personally not recommend VGF unless you want to purchase a set week contract. VGF has only 46 studios, all part of 2BR lock-offs. Because of its high price per point and high number of points needed per night, the vast majority who purchased there did so to get studios most of the time. The small number of studios coupled with the fact that Disney extremely oversold the VGF studios -- done legally because all those points for both studios and larger rooms could be sold to those purchasing just to get studios -- has led to VGF studios not being available at times even at 11 months out. The risk of that happening is mainly during DVC's high demand quarter, late Sep through marathon weekend in Jan, with highest risk exisitng during the middle two weeks of October, first part of Nov, Thanksgiving week, first and second week of Dec, Christmas week, and marathon weekend in Jan. However, even during other times of the year, it is a possibility and there is often short availability, meaning if you do not reserve exactly 11 months out, you can be blocked out.

Poly has a similar issue but sheer numbers of studios may save it. Only the "top 1%" can actually afford to buy enough points to regularly stay in those bungalows for any time close to a week. However, all those bungalow points, along with all the studio points, can be sold to purchasers who are buying just to get studios. Poly is too new to determine whether there will be an 11 month issue but at least it has mostly studios, and thus probably has a decent chance of avoiding the 11 month issue, although we will not really know for a few years.

Thanks for the comments, for VGF, we would primarily only stay in a 1 bedroom (rather than studio), which is why I figured 200 pts would be a good contract amount. Does the fact that we would use a 1 bedroom only (or maybe a 2 bed lockout for in laws occasionally) change the stats above? (recognize the lock out piece would be a problem, but for 90% of the time, we would be doing a 1 bedroom).

I know there are more 1 bedrooms than studios, so my thought was, would have a better chance of getting a 1 bedroom there at VGF. But I agree, Poly has so much more inventory, again, but we would need two connected, but chances to get studios are probably likely. I think at the beginning even at the 7 month mark we could probably still book (our normal trip is the last day of school every year, usually end of May). Thoughts?

End of May you shouldn't have difficulty getting a 1 bedroom at VGF. Memorial weekend takes a slight bump up but if you booked right at 11 months and are open to either standard or lake view you should be ok. If your parents came along then a regular 2 bedroom would work vs a lockoff and you should be fine with getting that also. I also think you'd be able to get Poly sometimes at that time of year.

That's what I was hoping, that mostly I could get the VGF, if not, go to Poly, or BLT. I really liked the one bedroom at VGF, just got back, but so love the Poly. Darn Disney for no 1 bedrooms at the Poly!!!

I'm not a Poly fan but even if I were the lack of 1 and 2 bedrooms is a deal breaker for me. I prefer VGF all the way

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter