Grand Floridian DVC Info, Speculation, and Update Thread - Part 1!

I just looked at Google Maps and sure enough, it looks like the view of the Magic Kingdom will be blocked by the GF itself. How odd. I'm sure they are going to charge mountains of points for those units and they don't even have decent views.

Some years back we stayed at the Polynesian Resort and had a "monorail view" room. With the balcony door shut you didn't hear it at all.
Sounds like it'll be similar to BCV in many ways. Limited view options but high demand for other reasons.

As many have already stated, when does everyone think they will start selling points?

Do they have to wait for the timeshare license to be approved?

I own at BLT and Bw but can't wait to stay there. I stayed there once and its so elegant and beautiful. It one of my favorite themed hotel along with the Poly, BW and BC/YC.

I love the basin white store in the GF too. We always have to stop by when we stay at the BLT.

We will be buying points as well since our daughter loves this resort. We leave on march 6 to stay at the GF concierge to celebrate her 9th bday. It would be great to be able to purchase while we are down in March. So fingers crossed and some pixie dust.pixiedust:

As many have already stated, when does everyone think they will start selling points?

Do they have to wait for the timeshare license to be approved?
They have to have all the paperwork approved and be licensed to sell it in FL. They have to have a certain % completed to start selling but I'm not sure that % number. I think you can expect an announcement in the near future and sales starting by sometime in April if not March.

Where are the pictures showing how close the monorail will be to those rooms?

If you look at the video on youtube Beapartofthemagic shows you just how close it is, we were also there in Nov and saw it for ourselves.:)

Here is a drawing for the original VGF plans submitted by Disney to the South Florida Water Management District in June 2011. You can see the monorail track and the western edge of the VGF building.

Screenshot2011-07-03at41105PM.png

Personally, I don't think the proximity of the monorail track to the building will be an issue. Monorails are one of the quietest forms of transportion. You'd probably get more noise from passing buses than from the monorails.

One things for sure, if you are on the west side of the building you have about 50 feet to the monorail stop out that side door. For that reason alone those rooms will be popular and there's the added possibility that they are less points because of the location.

One things for sure, if you are on the west side of the building you have about 50 feet to the monorail stop out that side door. For that reason alone those rooms will be popular and there's the added possibility that they are less points because of the location.

I think you are drastically understating the distance from the VGF building to the monorail station. There will not be a new monorail platform for the VGF. Instead, VGF guests will be using the existing monorail station at the Grand Floridian. Guests will have to walk over to the GF building and then go up to the second floor. It won't be a bad walk, but its definitely more than 50 feet.

I definitely do not think the monorail will have that much noise compared to the buses. And as long as the rooms have sheers on the windows then privacy won't be the big factor it is at BLT.

But I do agree that the monorail is fairly close to the rooms on the one corner of building. Here's a photo we took in August 2012 when we walked the sidewalk from GF past the construction.

file-31.jpg

I think you are drastically understating the distance from the VGF building to the monorail station. There will not be a new monorail platform for the VGF. Instead, VGF guests will be using the existing monorail station at the Grand Floridian. Guests will have to walk over to the GF building and then go up to the second floor. It won't be a bad walk, but its definitely more than 50 feet.

We own at BLT and have to walk over to the Contemporary to catch the monorail there. It really is no big deal!

We own at BLT and have to walk over to the Contemporary to catch the monorail there. It really is no big deal!

Agree 100% with you! We also own at BLT and I love watching the monorails fly by BLT. I certainly won't mind getting a VGF villa that is close to the monorail track. My wife says she won't mind such a villa either as long as DVC puts shears on the windows.

I had a room at the Poly that was very close to the monorail. It looks like the VGF will be similar to that location wise. It wasn't a big deal. We used the sheers for privacy but my kids loved being on the balcony & waving to the people as the monorail passed by lol. It wasn't noisy either.

I just came back and really took it all in on multiple travels.

And I don't think I see many posts about a noise issue. :confused3 I think we all agree that they're quiet.

But it is very close to the one corner - obviously multiple levels - room location. It's the way the building is angled. It not like watching the monorails at BLT. When you see it in person you'll understand that statement. IMO it's not like the location/proximity at the Polynesian. Ie. the level and location of the monorail and rooms make it very different. It will probably seem for that one room level like it fills the view so to speak. And is zooming right for you!

I love the monorails and was very excited to see how close it was - but did laugh out loud because I imagined months in the future - on here - about the posts around it all on completion and stays. Smiling.

Sheers would be needed. :rotfl2: Let's all pray. ;)

I love the grounds of the GF. And think it will be lovely to take it all in. Absolutely relaxing.

We are very excited for the opening of the GFVs. :thumbsup2. We were at SSR for NYE, and took time to visit the GF. :drive: It was packed with people and very busy compared to laid back SSR.

I hadn't been over there in years. It seemed a bit dated to me, and the stores didn't seem as high end as I recall. However it is a beautiful property. The GFVs were close to the monorail, but I didn't think they were prohibitively close. Can't wait for it to open!!!!

I can't wait for VGF!! I love the resort!! We haven't added any points just because we have been waiting for VGF!!!pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter