Grand Cayman - visiting Seven Mile Beach on own

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by Keyser, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Keyser

Keyser Mouseketeer

For our cruise to Grand Cayman, we are probably going to spend the day at Grand Cayman just visiting 7 mile beach. I understand it's easy enough to get to on our own via taxi (plus, the excursions are all booked), but with a beach that long, I'm at a loss as to where we should plan to go along the beach. Is there a better/worse part of the beach to go to, or is it all basically the same?

Some things we'd be looking for:
    - Access to restrooms, showers
    - Places reasonably close to get food
    - Being able to rent chairs and an umbrella might be good...
    - We'd prefer sandy-bottom in the water rather than rocky, if it matters
    - If there are any areas that have additional activities good for kids (at reasonable cost - our kids are 11 and 4), we might be interested in that
    - There will be lots of other cruise ships in port that day. I know we will have crowds, but I'm hoping to avoid massive crowding.

Is there any particular part of the beach we should aim to go to (or stay away from)?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Snurk71

Snurk71 DIS Veteran

I can't comment on a lot of your questions. But when we went to GC a few years ago our research said mid to north was more sand and the southern part was rockier. We stayed in a resort right in the middle.

4. believinthemagic

believinthemagic Mouseketeer

In January we went to a section of 7 mile beach called sea grape beach. Definitely enjoyed the area. We had an outdoor bar/restaurant right by us, or they would come around and take orders at your chairs. We rented chairs and umbrellas. I believe for about $8 per chair/umbrella. The area was not rocky at all. We rented a couple of boogie boards for the kids to play in the water on. There were restrooms, but I believe only outside showers to rinse off in. The area we went to just had the restroom, no real changing facility. We just wore our suits under cover ups so we didn't bother changing at all.

Have a great time! Grand Cayman is beautiful!!

5. Krazee4Disney

Krazee4Disney Earning My Ears

We were also there in January and it was great! Very easy to get to...just grab a taxi and its just a few minutes down the road.
    We went to one of the free beaches where we had access to food, drinks, chairs, umbrellas, restrooms and showers!! The beach is very beautiful and the water is so clear. Swimming was great! You can also rent snorkel gear too! We had a awesome experience with great food, music and very friendly people! :)

6. jal417

jal417 Earning My Ears

We were there last week and we just got in a cab and the driver told us about the beaches and how much they cost and what they had while he was driving us. The cab is really like a 15 passenger van and everyone in it got out at the free beach that had food, restrooms and chairs/umbrellas. But you could go to the ones that charge and have some inflatable things.