Grand Cayman-Stingray City Reef Sail & Snorkel-any feedback?

TamieH

Mouseketeer
Disney's Grand Cayman excursion

Stingray City Reef Sail and Snorkel

Set sail on a 65-foot catamaran for a delightful seafaring adventure as you voyage to a shallow reef for 45-minutes of fun-filled underwater exploration and enjoyment. Snorkel amidst unique coral formations and tropical fish as stingrays glide past you from all directions during this guided underwater adventure you're sure to never forget.
$60 Adult

Note - it may have been once called 7-Mile Sail and Snorkel Tour if I'm reading another site correctly.

Note - I am also evaluating the non-Disney vendors Captn Marvin, Shoretrips & Nativeway, but since I have some Disney Rewards money to use....I wanted to consider Disney's as well. Also, since the time at the port really isn't that long (10:30-4:30), I am a little concerned about any delays that would be on us if we missed the boat and what happens if weather causes us to switch days on each island? We haven't even done a non-Disney excursion before, so just learning the ropes.

Main questions: Did you get a real snorkel stop besides Stingray City since that would only be really swimming with stingrays. Was it really crowded since it was a ship excursion. How was the catamaran boat ride? It will be a family of four of us and the DD's are 16 & 11 by our May Fantasy cruise.

Note - we do plan to "do excursion ourselves" on Cozumel by going to the CN Park so oldest can do Royal Swim with Dolphins.

Thanks bunches for help

Captain Marvin's is excellent. You give them a credit card number to book, but if for any reason the ship can't tender they do not charge your card. In addition, they will change their schedules to account for times when the ship does odd times (sounds like your times are shorter than sometimes.)

We've done the 1/2 day snorkel which included 3 snorkel stops plus Stingray City. On another cruise we did the island tour (included turtle farm, etc). Both were very well done. They go guarantee that you'll be back at the tender port on time. If you are there for a full day and do a 1/2 day trip with them, you have the option of being dropped at the tender port or at the beach...saves one way transportation if you want to finish your day at the beach.

Thanks for the info. I just wasn't sure how often or what happens with one of these private excursions when your ship doesn't make it to port on the scheduled day. This helps:)

We did Captian Marvin. It was great. They were a wonderful staff. You take a small boat over, you first snorkel. They take you to a beautiful spot. We saw a lot and he coral had color. Then they take you to another spot where there a sand bar in the middle of the ocean and you feed and swim with sting rays. After we ask to be dropped off at a beach and we spent time there and just grabbed a taxi back. I did this with my 11 1/2 year old son
staffieri3

We are looking at booking Stingray City also and it has awesome reviews on Trip Advisor.

But the water is described as "chest high", and I have an 11 year old. Will it be too deep for her to stand?

We are looking at booking Stingray City also and it has awesome reviews on Trip Advisor.

But the water is described as "chest high", and I have an 11 year old. Will it be too deep for her to stand?

I would have described the water as waist high on an adult. We had kids in our group--they were required to wear life jackets (supplied), but didn't seem to have problems standing. The guy from Captain Marvin's was amazing. He picked up a sting ray and showed us a lot about the anatomy, etc....then grabbed another and showed us "differences." Did result in some interesting comments from a kid....

We have been twice to Grand Cayman and went out twice with Chip at Stingray Sailing.

http://www.stingraysailing.com/

HE and his wife Michelle are excellent, they meet you at the port and transport you out, they are one of the first boats to the stingray area, so there is tons of space when you arrive. The boat is awesome and Chip and his staff are excellent. He even dove off a few times on the way back when you are sailing to bring up a starfish, etc...

The snorkelling is the second stop at the reef ( very close to the stingray city - you can see it).

Can't say enough about how great this excursion is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter