grand canyon in april 2007

jlynn

Earning My Ears
We are making our first trip to Grand Canyon, arriving 4/11 into Phoenix and returning home on 4/19. I have a couple of questions:

What is the weather like in April?

Is there enough time to see Bryce, Zion and Sedona as well as the Grand Canyon without having to spend most of our time driving?

Traveling with me will be my DH and my 9 yr old son. 9 yr old son wants to know if there are any good mineral/rock/fossil collecting sites in this area.

And, what are some of your favorite places to stay in any/all of these areas?

Thanks much.

We went 2 spring breaks ago. The weather was COLD! There was still snow and it was very windy! I'm sorry I can't answer any of your questions because the only thing I remember was that it was cold

Im from Phoenix and recently went to the SOuth Rim of the GrandCanyon. I think the North rim is closed now until sometime in April or May. (Due to Snow)

Sedona is about 2 1/2 hours drive from Phoenix. Its a beautiful city and you can see it in one day if you need to. Its better to spend the night if you like shopping in the boutiques. There are hundreds of them but I have gone for day trips most of my trips there. The drive is actually a couple hours North then about 1/2 hour West to the town. North of Sedona is Oak Creek. (Beautiful too) Then there is a way to get to the Grand Canyon in those winding roads too but I have never done it. We head stright up Hwy17 to Flagstaff then head west.

Sedona is cooler than Phoenix (IN April Phoenix will be close to 90 to 100 degrees) But Sedona is warmer than the Grand Canyon. Ill bet its about 60's when you come in April as a high. The desert is very hot in summer but fluctuates a huge amount from Day to night. Dont plan on out door swimming for sure unless its heated.

We did a day trip to teh Grand Canyon and I think we drove about 3 1/2 hours each way. We saw all the sites in the South rim. They have buses that take you around and are free. YOu choose how much time to stay at each site then board the next bus around. There are many places to stay in the SOuth Rim in case you like to stay over night. We was there near the end of September and could have stayed for about $100 a night at the hotel we checked out. You can hike into the grand canyon but I think you need permits so check their site ahead in case you plan that.

I have never been to Bryce or Zion. They may be on the North Side? I think driving from Sout rim intrance to North rim entance you are looking at several more hours of driving.

Right now we have been in the mid 80's in Phoenix as a high and 50's as a low and the grand canyon is in the 20's and 30's low and 60's and 70's high. Its really a high elevation so they get cooler at night. I have to say what I saw at the grand canyon was so worth the trip. What you will see in Sedona is so different than the Grand Canyon too. If you want a beautiful look out in Sedona go up the air port road (ITs on the main drag) They have a place to park and get out to take pictures.

I dont know much about gold and fossell collecting. I do knwo they sell lots of polished rocks and such in all the gift stores which are everywhere!!

You could do all of those in the time you wanted. As was mentioned earlier, it will be cold at the Grand Canyon. Zions will be warmer, and Bryce is a toss up. From the south rim of the Grand Canyon, it will take you a good 5-6 hours to get to Zions. Bryce is only about an hour from Zions. I remember going to Zions in Feb. and the waterfalls were frozen. Very cool to see a frozen waterfall. I suggest getting information from:

http://www.utah.com/nationalparks/ &
http://grandcanyon.areaparks.com/

As far as fossil collecting. They are in all of the gift shops. Sedona really is not my families cup of tea, but I know that many love to see it. Just keep in mind that there was a big fire there last year so many of the former "sites to see" are not what they used to be.

Since you are also visiting more than one national park you may want to consider a year pass. It may be cheaper for you in the long run rather than paying the fees at each entrance.

Good luck.

We'll be at the South Rim a couple of weeks before you (Last weekend in March/first weekend of April), so we can let you know what the weather conditions are when we go.

Hi - I was there May 2005, and it was cold then! It snowed whilst driving from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon!
I would recommend staying overnight if you can - I stayed at Yavapai East for about $100 a night, and it was great. Highly recommended. Didn't go to the other places you mentioned, unfortunately, but did a couple of bus tours around the South Rim and a plane trip as well. All excellent.
Hope you enjoy your vacation there!

Heather

We went to Bryce, Zion and the Grand Canyon last July. We spent one night each at Bryce and Zion and then two nights at the Grand Canyon. That's all the time we had since we only had a week and had to drive from Austin, TX. We stayed in the Nat'l parks in the lodges there. I would highly recommend doing that at Zion and the GC. Just getting into these places from the "outside" seemed like a trek. There were a couple other hotels/lodges outside of Bryce that are fairly close, but if I were to go again, I would still stay on site. It's great to just get up in the morning and walk to the rim! We did some hiking (at least two short to medium hikes in each location). Here's where to find info. about the reservations at the lodges: http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/ http://www.xanterra.com/ We stayed at the Thunderbird Lodge (GC), Zion Lodge (not one of the small cabins, but the larger building??), Bryce Lodge (also a larger building, not the small cabins). We loved the Bryce and Zion Lodge (especially). Our view at the Thunderbird in GC was ok. We could see the roof of our old "dorm-like" building below our window between us and the rim.

Definitely get the National Parks pass if you're doing more than one park.

My girls were 10 and 8 at the time. We took a little time at the GC to do the Junior Ranger booklet and get their certificate. We didn't have time to do that at the other two parks. Visit the visitor's centers to ask about this. Also, visit the National Parks service website for more info. You should be able to find maps of all of the trails. I know we did the Bright Angel trail to the first stop at GC. Our second hike there was to a Ooh-Ah point. Both of these were doable hikes (with preparation and proper food/water/clothing). It was pretty hot in July down there, so I imagine in April, it would be better below the rim. Zion was my favorite of the three parks. We did the "river walk" trail?? and the weeping wall - both pretty easy trails. We also did a trail to the emerald pool (lower??) right across from our lodge. At Bryce, we drove around to the some of farthest points one afternoon, walked the rim near the sunset point (near the lodge), then in the morning we went below the rim for a short distance (most of the trail we wanted to do was closed because of a rock fall). We did one more short hike to the "cave/waterfall??" (one that started outside the park) before our drive to Zion.

I can't help with the other questions either. Sorry.

SO... what do you recommend? Fly into LV and drive to Grand Canyon then on to PHX, and fly out of PHX? Or fly in and out of PHX?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter