Grand Canyon from LV or Phoenix?

Discussion in 'California & the West' started by FreeTime, Mar 6, 2011.

1. FreeTime

FreeTime DIS Veteran

We are planning 2 weeks in June. We know that we will be going to Lake Tahoe to Visit family and DL. However, our DD wants to visit the Grand Canyon. We would like to make this the first part of our trip. So, should we fly into Las Vegas or Phoenix or somewhere else?
    Thanks!

2. Huff

Huff DIS Veteran

Thats a ton of driving! Were you planning on flying into one city and then out of another?

Vegas is 100 miles further from the canyon than Phoenix but it really depends on your overall route to see the canyon, DL and Tahoe.

Phoenix is 6 hours drive from DL.

3. rangermom

rangermom DIS Veteran

We go to Vegas adn Phoenix regularly (we live at the GC) and I now perfer Las Vegas. It takes me 3.5 hrs to get there ( and no I don't speed). There is only 50 miles difference between the two trips. Now that the bypass bridge for Hoover Dam is completed it really cuts out quite a bit of time. To me it depends on where the cheaper airfare is.

4. CPT Tripss

CPT Tripss DIS Veteran

As someone that rents a car for this trip, I also factor the car rental price in. LV has been less expensive in the past, but that was a while ago, you really need to shop both.