Grand Californian Super Thread

We just returned from 7 nights. We booked a standard room and asked to be near the Napa Rose elevators or the Grand Hall. We couldn't have gotten a farther room. The very last room at the end of the hallway past the villas. It was a crazy, crazy long walk. So bummed. To top it off, the elevator on that end was down the whole time, except the morning we were checking out. We couldn't take the stairway to the outside as it was blocked for construction. But to top it off was the construction right outside our window at 3:30 am in the morning. A cement truck was there, lots of works, laying and pouring and scraping cement and the workers communicated via whistling. I guess that is supposed to be less noisy then voices. It was so loud. I am a sound sleeper and can sleep through anything but that was too much. I watched them for awhile, unbelieving what was going on right outside our room in the middle of the night, tried to go back to sleep, couldn't so went downstairs to talk to the front desk. I was very nice and polite and asked if they knew if this construction was going to be going on every night of our stay and if I needed to get ear plugs because it was so incredibly loud in our room. They didn't care. Gave me the response of we have no control of when they do construction yada yada. I tried to show them the video I made but they didn't want to watch it. I told them it is impossible to sleep and they just kinda looked at me like whatever, not our problem. Not what I expected from Disney Cast Members, that's for sure. So I went back to our room, I could hear the cement truck in the hallway outside our room. I videoed that also. family trying to sleep, we just got in the night before from Hawaii so a couple hour time difference. So bummed. Watched some more and then see them looking at me.

I understand they have to do construction, my husband is in construction, but there is a thing called quiet hours. During the day when people are out and about they aren't making that noise. Only when people are sleeping and can't see the construction going on.

Such a bummer. We've stayed at the GCH many times and this was by far the worst yet. Even worst than last year with the water shut down and 2 fire evacuations.

We just returned from 7 nights. We booked a standard room and asked to be near the Napa Rose elevators or the Grand Hall. We couldn't have gotten a farther room. The very last room at the end of the hallway past the villas. It was a crazy, crazy long walk. So bummed. To top it off, the elevator on that end was down the whole time, except the morning we were checking out. We couldn't take the stairway to the outside as it was blocked for construction. But to top it off was the construction right outside our window at 3:30 am in the morning. A cement truck was there, lots of works, laying and pouring and scraping cement and the workers communicated via whistling. I guess that is supposed to be less noisy then voices. It was so loud. I am a sound sleeper and can sleep through anything but that was too much. I watched them for awhile, unbelieving what was going on right outside our room in the middle of the night, tried to go back to sleep, couldn't so went downstairs to talk to the front desk. I was very nice and polite and asked if they knew if this construction was going to be going on every night of our stay and if I needed to get ear plugs because it was so incredibly loud in our room. They didn't care. Gave me the response of we have no control of when they do construction yada yada. I tried to show them the video I made but they didn't want to watch it. I told them it is impossible to sleep and they just kinda looked at me like whatever, not our problem. Not what I expected from Disney Cast Members, that's for sure. So I went back to our room, I could hear the cement truck in the hallway outside our room. I videoed that also. family trying to sleep, we just got in the night before from Hawaii so a couple hour time difference. So bummed. Watched some more and then see them looking at me.

I understand they have to do construction, my husband is in construction, but there is a thing called quiet hours. During the day when people are out and about they aren't making that noise. Only when people are sleeping and can't see the construction going on.

Such a bummer. We've stayed at the GCH many times and this was by far the worst yet. Even worst than last year with the water shut down and 2 fire evacuations.
Oh, I am so sorry you had to deal with that! Sounds really horrible. I would have been fuming because I am a very light sleeper! I hope that you write a letter to Disney and the hotel manager. They should never have put you in that room with the construction right outside your window. The front counter CMs may not know the construction schedule, but the hotel manager must have known something and should have blocked those rooms. They owe you some compensation for sure!

...to top it off was the construction right outside our window at 3:30 am in the morning...
Sorry you had such a bad GCH experience. What was your room number?
Please post your construction videos, and include the time.

You might want to complain on the Disney website (or whatever method).
GCH management needs to restrict construction times, or take rooms out of service. Not long after the VGC first opened (late 2009), construction started on the Little Mermaid attraction. There were complaints of jackhammers all night long. This must have prompted a change, since when I visited the construction noise stopped at 11PM.

is the water shut down recently? I stayed there this Feb and they had water shut down, which means we cant flush the toilet or wash our hands, this was never communicated to use when we booked the room, we were very disappointed. we are planning on heading back thanksgiving week and hope the water issue is taken cared of.

is the water shut down recently? I stayed there this Feb and they had water shut down, which means we cant flush the toilet or wash our hands, this was never communicated to use when we booked the room, we were very disappointed. we are planning on heading back thanksgiving week and hope the water issue is taken cared of.

to clarify, the water shut down was during the night,, (but come on, most of us are at the parks during the day anyways)

no, sorry for the confusion, no water shut downs recently, I haven't heard of any for awhile. It was Oct 2015 for our water shut down time. They were always at night and they provided notice in our room and bottled water.

There is a lot of construction going on around the GCH, especially in the front entrance/valet area and the villa wings. They are also painting the buildings, putting new carpet in the hallways and rooms and it looks amazing. Love it so much better than the old carpet. and they are changing out furniture. I took pictures of it all, just gotta find them and I will post.

Wow.That worries me a little since we're staying in the Villas in a few weeks. Sorry to hear you had such a poor experience. It's definitely worth a formal complaint, I'd think.

...There is a lot of construction going on around the GCH, especially in the front entrance/valet area and the villa wings. They are also painting the buildings, putting new carpet in the hallways and rooms and it looks amazing. Love it so much better than the old carpet. and they are changing out furniture. I took pictures of it all, just gotta find them and I will post.
That is the first report that interior work has started :thumbsup2
Look forward to seeing your pictures :goodvibes

I feel so badly for those of you who are paying $$$ for rooms with construction noise or no water. I would definitely write and complain. It's unacceptable.

I feel so badly for those of you who are paying $$$ for rooms with construction noise or no water. I would definitely write and complain. It's unacceptable.

i did write and complain, I have not heard from Disney or the hotel at all! oh well.

Does anyone have a map or can tell me where rooms with a king bed and pull out sofa are- particularly with standard views? We will be staying there with Dapper Day rates and I'm sort of curious. I'd like to be somewhat conveniently located but with those rates, I'll definitely take what I can get!

just got this from a CM, incase you are looking to book around the constructions. they said it will stop around the busy season.

Hotel construction/refurbishments will begin Sept 11, 2016 and continue through 2017, with breaks in work during the holiday and spring seasons. September - October 2016, the Disney Vacation Club room renovations will begin with minimal impact to hotel guests. Work to enhance the pool and guest rooms will begin in January 2017. In late April/early May, the concierge lounge will undergo refurbishment and in summer 2017 the lobby spaces will be refurbished.

Thanks for the info @Miggee !

Has GCH been refurbished before? If so does anyone know where they relocated the concierge lounge to while they worked in there?

Does anyone have a map or can tell me where rooms with a king bed and pull out sofa are- particularly with standard views?...
No official maps of bed types (or views) have been released.
...Has GCH been refurbished before? If so does anyone know where they relocated the concierge lounge to while they worked in there?
This is the first "full" refurbishment. Some furniture (along with CRT to flat-screen upgrade) has been replaced, but most of the interior is original (from 2001). I'm also curious about a temporary lounge location, perhaps on the 3rd floor (above registration) -- there is large area overlooking the lobby.

It's surprising the amount of work being done on the VGC wing, since it was only built in 2009.

Does anyone have any experience with the Mandara spa? Do you have to be a guest to visit?

I use them pretty much every visit, for a deep tissue massage. I've always had a good experience and my mom has done both massages and pedicures. It's not cheap, but I've found the massages to be good - I like a very firm touch and I like that I can have a serious massage AND the frills that add to the price of a "spa" experience.

Oh my, I would have been so mad! You have the patience of a saint for remaining calm at the front desk. The CMs' lack of concern and offer to resolve is unacceptable at the GCH considering the cost of the rooms. Construction in the middle of the night in a hotel is absolutely not okay. They should not be able to get away with that. I would be on the phone with guest services and emailing daily until I was offered appropriate compensation for a future visit or a credit or something. Did the noise go on all 7 nights? If you don't have luck with guest services, feel free to private message. I have contact info for someone with authority in that area that I will share with you. I had a major issue at the DLH a couple years ago that a higher up had to help resolve.

Oh my, I would have been so mad! You have the patience of a saint for remaining calm at the front desk. The CMs' lack of concern and offer to resolve is unacceptable at the GCH considering the cost of the rooms. Construction in the middle of the night in a hotel is absolutely not okay. They should not be able to get away with that. I would be on the phone with guest services and emailing daily until I was offered appropriate compensation for a future visit or a credit or something. Did the noise go on all 7 nights? If you don't have luck with guest services, feel free to private message. I have contact info for someone with authority in that area that I will share with you. I had a major issue at the DLH a couple years ago that a higher up had to help resolve.
A recent thread about PPH has a post that might apply here:
...The Cm's are trained to avoid referring guests to Management, and get higher reviews if they do. A typical issue, a guest at a front desk, the CM says, let me go back and talk to my boss/manager (most guests don't understand lead). What that really means is break time, and they go backstage and wait a couple of minutes,usually chatting with others, then goes back and gives the pat answer, basically "It was a request, and we have no available options available", or whatever matches the script to the complainant. Of course, they will hand you clean towels, maybe an extra pillow, etc...
It's disappointing that some CMs at DLR hotels are rewarded for essentially ignoring guest complaints. There might also be some amount of "tiered" service. Most guests take issues to the front desk (main registration), while Club Level guests contact the concierge on the 6th floor (and there is also a VIP Guest Services group).

A recent thread about PPH has a post that might apply here:

It's disappointing that some CMs at DLR hotels are rewarded for essentially ignoring guest complaints. There might also be some amount of "tiered" service. Most guests take issues to the front desk (main registration), while Club Level guests contact the concierge on the 6th floor (and there is also a VIP Guest Services group).

Yes I saw that post the other day. Confirmation for how I handle things when there is a major issue. As uncomfortable as it is, I will not back down until I speak with a manager and receive a satisfactory resolution when the situation warrants it.

Yes I saw that post the other day. Confirmation for how I handle things when there is a major issue. As uncomfortable as it is, I will not back down until I speak with a manager and receive a satisfactory resolution when the situation warrants it.

This is how I roll also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter